Mood swings (2 Viewers)

Leo_Coroneos

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:44
I get mood swings. How about everyone else? I mean, like, little things really get to me sometimes and ruin my whole day. Even and including features of Microsoft Access (!) :p

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 21:44
Not sure you have read through some of the threads in the watercooler, this might not be the place to hangout if you have mood swings. Believe me I know! Just remember to take your meds before typing.....;)

Leo_Coroneos

Registered User.
Local time
Hahah ok, I just read "My ex dumped me again," that's the extent of my foray into the Watercooler. Haven't gotten flamed yet (touch wood, fingers crossed etc.)

And yes, the pregabalin is close at hand, just in case! :D

Mark_

Longboard on the internet
Local time
Fosters may be a better option...

Leo_Coroneos

Registered User.
Local time
Oh, didn't you know? Fosters went out of business in Australia, ages ago. Normally I'd drink Coopers Pale Ale and my housemate Victoria Bitter.

We've only got cheap wine here at the moment, as well as dexies (just having a one-off of 5 tablets plus another 3 just then so I can concentrate, seems to settle me down too). I wouldn't advocate using alcohol to control mood swings, in fact in the past it seems to have triggered them.

Anyway, I don't think I'll be sleeping tonight. Got my Access 2016 Bible handy--geez this book is massive, it's got everything in it!

Leo_Coroneos

Registered User.
Local time
Believe me - it hasn't ....;)

Well, surely, what the Access Bible hasn't got in it, the Access 2016 Programming Primer has! There has to be a finite amount one can learn about Access... right? ;)

Leo_Coroneos

Registered User.
Local time
Back to what I was saying about mood swings, meds and intoxicants can either help or hinder the matter. I find that going through pregabalin w/d's (yeah, I'm dependent on it) really puts me in a terrible mood. My psychiatrist told me to occasionally take what she calls a "drug holiday" in order to combat tolerance, and so every Saturday I skip taking my pregabs. Might extend it to Sunday too this week, so I can get blasted on Monday with the remaining tablets I get on staged supply. Less than three weeks before I get a new script for 56x 150mg tablets with 1 repeat on the script. Yee-ha! "Hey, at least it's not heroin!"

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 00:44
I was a long time Paradox (DOS) user. Avoided Access and Windows for that matter for as long as I could. Got drawn into it in 2008,the company I worked for was using 2003.

Using 2010 now and us it every day. Problem with someone like me is that I know that Access/VBA can do just about anything I can think of...I just need to discover it.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 00:44
Talisker is my med and if anything, I beleive in upping my dosage...

Leo_Coroneos

Registered User.
Local time
Nice talking to you, and nice to hear from someone who's been there since the DOS days. So you like a good scotch, that's cool.

I grew up with Apple Macs, my parents had a graphic design business in the late 80s and early 90s. I like all OSes, except maybe the earlier versions of Windows--my dad was very prejudiced against them because of the anti-trust lawsuit between Apple and Microsoft, wherein Apple accused Microsoft of stealing the "look and feel" of their OS. And Microsoft has cornered the database market to an extent with Access, back in 1992 I believe. I recently learnt about an archaic Macintosh spreadsheet app designed by Microsoft, I forget what it was called.

Wow, it's hard not to talk Access on these forums, even by the "water cooler"! I must admit I have a special place in my heart for Access, ever since I completed an Australian so-called Certificate II unit in that one subject (databases). Two more Certificates later (III and IV), and I'm still trying to get over my amazement at how much of a "killer app" it really is.

Hushed rumours have it that Access is not going to be around forever (shh! don't tell anyone I told you that!)

Mark_

Local time
Access is a useful tool but one that to me is a little... limited. Then again I started with a 4GL programming language so I am use to being spoiled...

Access does handle a lot of business applications fairly well but is really lacking in its ability to do anything graphical. I was terribly spoiled by template driven application development though. Loved being able to track time spent working on a given procedure simply by opening said procedure in the programming UI.

Leo_Coroneos

Registered User.
Local time
Access is a useful tool but one that to me is a little... limited. Then again I started with a 4GL programming language so I am use to being spoiled...

Access does handle a lot of business applications fairly well but is really lacking in its ability to do anything graphical. I was terribly spoiled by template driven application development though. Loved being able to track time spent working on a given procedure simply by opening said procedure in the programming UI.

Appreciate your point of view, thanks Mark. Just trying to get the hang of error handling in my subroutines here, it's quite different from C#, which I learnt at TAFE. I guess we were spoilt learning C# for the whole year, whereas the previous semesters had done a) VB [in Cert III] and then b) PHP [in Cert IV], a difficult transition, don't you agree?

Leo_Coroneos

Registered User.
Local time
So I ask about Access and I get major mood swings and very frustrated at people poking holes in my "perfect" database. I ask about mood swings and we really hit it off with the Access talk. Figure that one out...

Mark_

Local time
The language itself isn't all that important once you learn how to program.

I really didn't like C, but since I was using Clarion I had easy access to any C library I wanted. Clarion's got Borland's old compiler team (rebranded TopSpeed) for their compiler so it can take a LOT of different languages code/libraries.

What made it so very very nice was the template driven application. Haven't coded in it in years but I'd still have a much easier time with it than Access. Best part is it can use more back ends than Access and is a full programming language! Working with C felt.. very cumbersome. Like getting off an airliner and climbing onto the back of a horse drawn wagon.

Leo_Coroneos

Registered User.
Local time
Clarion sounds interesting. Have you--or has anyone else--had much experience with MS Visual Studio?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 05:44
Well, surely, what the Access Bible hasn't got in it, the Access 2016 Programming Primer has! There has to be a finite amount one can learn about Access... right? ;)

I also used to think that but the more I learn the more I realise I don't know...

In many ways, learning Access is very similar to a famous quote by Donald Rumsfeld (US Secretary of State under George Dubya Bush):

"As we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know.
We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know.
But there are also unknown unknowns – the ones we don't know we don't know.
And ... it is the latter category that tend to be the difficult ones."

Leo_Coroneos

Registered User.
Local time
Well said. I've had to suspend the belief that I know it all for the purpose of making headway & doing things the best I can. The lecturers are not to blame for my ill-preparedness for a career in Access.

Can't believe I just said that, actually. "A career in Access," sounds both dull and exciting at the same time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom