A Ukulele For A Gent (1 Viewer)

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 06:31
Hmm, that's a lot of work. You need a camera man otherwise the vid will be crap. Then when you stumble, you have to do it over again. Then there's vid and sound editing; lapel microphone (which I don't have) otherwise you can't hear the audio, and so on. I appreciate the sentiment though. Now for my progress....

On the left is one of the bridge clamps I made - something I may never use again. I made a caul (on the right - it is upside down here) that was the 'opposite' profile of the bridge. This is so that clamp pressure is spread over the bridge rather than being localized. Note the very slight curve so that it will conform to the bridge wings.
20200330_212413.jpg
. . .
20200330_210612.jpg

Best I DO NOT forget to drill holes in the bridge for the tie-on strings before gluing on!! With trial and error, I determined the angle of the hole had to be 10 degrees, so I cut a small block with that angle on one face. Maybe it's not obvious here, but the hole has to "rise" as it passes through, otherwise you'd be drilling into the plate on the other side. That is only a 3/32" bit - looks larger here.
20200330_201709.jpg

After removing the tape that covered the bridge area (so that I would not have to remove any finish) I made a last minute check for location accuracy. Seemed spot on, so I taped around the outer perimeter. This helps to locate the bridge when glue is applied and keeps glue off of the finish. After clamping down and removing any squeeze-out I removed the outer tape and there she'll sit overnight.
20200330_220805.jpg

Tomorrow I will fit the saddle into the bridge but without strings, I cannot set the height of the saddle or the nut at the top of the neck. NG is a lucky guy because I lost the spare nut, which is some kind of composite material, so I'm going to have to substitute one of my bone blanks instead. I guess that means the only right thing to do is ditch the composite bridge and use one of my bone blanks for that too, otherwise they won't match. 😭

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
I don't have any. I ordered 2 sets from Amazon.
Or is that not what you're asking?

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:31
I don't have any. I ordered 2 sets from Amazon.
Or is that not what you're asking?
Yeah, I wondering if there was an issue with the supply. Maybe members could help? Sounds like they are ordered tho.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
So I take it your request is "Never Forget Where I'm From"? Very well then...

Just remember, YOU asked for this.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
That is going to warrant a HUGE discount...

And therapy...just sayin....

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
You can't ask for a discount for therapy when we're the ones who will need the therapy!
As I'm writing this, mailman comes up the steps with a large envelope in his hands.
I get up, open the door and look in the mailbox and all I find is a bill. The package wasn't for me so no strings today. :(
Coffee first, then I'll take and post some pics with the fake bone saddle and the real bone nut, then it's back to work.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Well, I guess I'm done until I get strings. You can only post 10 attachments at a time, so I will have to break this up into 2 or more posts...
If you look closely you can see where I made a boo boo with the rosette. I forgot to tighten the knobs that lock in the circle cutting radius and the bit wandered a bit. Tried to fill it with a glue/sanding dusk mix but it came out more transparent. If I was smart, I would have used yellow glue. If I was more careful, this sort of crap wouldn't happen. Maybe it's a deal breaker.....

DSC_0957.JPG
DSC_0960.JPG
DSC_0971.JPG

DSC_0952.JPG
DSC_0953.JPG
DSC_0956.JPG

DSC_0963.JPG
DSC_0962.JPG
DSC_0961.JPG

Last edited:

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Dude...you have a real talent. Cant wait to play it...well...I have to learn first but I'm sure even my novice hacking at it will sound good.

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
Just so you know Micron, My birthday is coming up soon and I miss my guitar.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
I miss my guitar.
Me too (mine, not yours). I gave it to #2 son since he adores me and seemed smitten by it. That's one reason why I'm trying my hand at this. Don't think for one minute that it's a real money saver. I've paid over $200 for back and side sets and that's not real extravagant. Here's the back plate for the one I'm working on while I wait for an opportunity to apply finish to the African Mahogany one in the other thread. Note: I wiped it with mineral spirits to make the grain and colour pop a bit, but it's not sanded so it's a little rough.

2020033.jpg

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
Who wants to propose "The Mandolin Challenge"?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom