ACCDE to open, do I need to have MS Access installed (1 Viewer)

antonio.manoj.derose

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 22:10
Hi All,

G'day to you all, I would like to know, and get confirmed in asking, do I need to have MS Access installed, in order to open an ACCDE file.

Why I have this eye catching concern is, in my view I see, that there is no need, as I see ACCDE as an exe file.

Thanks,

Antonio

pr2-eugin

Super Moderator
Local time
Today, 13:10
To run an ACCDE file you need Access to be installed in the computer. Unfortunately ACCDE is not like a Java exe file, where the jar package will be installed when the exe is run. ACCDE is a compiled version of the ACCDB file, compiling your file does not allow you to view any modules or macros and you cannot do any design changes to any of the objects.

The other option is to use a ACCDR file. Does not need a full Access version a Runtime version will suffice (and for a change it is free ;)). Hope this helps.

antonio.manoj.derose

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 22:10
Many thanks for the input, learning from GURU's like you fill in the gap analysis.

Pac-Man

Local time
Today, 17:10
Hi All,

G'day to you all, I would like to know, and get confirmed in asking, do I need to have MS Access installed, in order to open an ACCDE file.

Why I have this eye catching concern is, in my view I see, that there is no need, as I see ACCDE as an exe file.

Thanks,

Antonio
To run an ACCDE file, you either need Microsoft Access or Access runtime installed. Access Runtime is a free version of Access that can be used to run already developed access databases (like when you distribute your database to your users after developing). For developing a database, you need Microsoft Access (not runtime). You can google Microsoft Access Runtime to download from Microsoft website.

Update: Sorry @pr2-eugin, I saw last line of your reply regarding ACCDR and runtime after posting my reply.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:10
To run an ACCDE file, you either need Microsoft Access or Access runtime installed. Access Runtime is a free version of Access that can be used to run already developed access databases (like when you distribute your database to your users after developing). For developing a database, you need Microsoft Access (not runtime). You can google Microsoft Access Runtime to download from Microsoft website.

Update: Sorry @pr2-eugin, I saw last line of your reply regarding ACCDR and runtime after posting my reply.
@abdullahkhan Were you aware you're replying to a 7-year old thread? Just FYI.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom