Access 2000 Issue Table Deleting Data (1 Viewer)

rgrant1985

Local time
Yesterday, 17:47
Hi,

I've just joined a company based in Scotland, they are running a multiple user access 2000 database: backend and front-end. Recently they have had an issue where a user inserting a new row in a table, as they do, the record above drops off the table (disappears/unrecoverable). My first impression has been that this is a DB corruption issue and as such have ran compact/repair. This did resolve the issue, the first couple times it came up, however recently does not fix the problem.

We are running this database on network server:
-Backend resides in central location
-Frontend - Each user has their own front-end, storded on their personal network drive.

Would I be right in saying that the best solution would be to convert to newer version of access ?

Any advice you can provide, would be much appreciated.

Ross,

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:47
a newer version of Access won't solve the problem but it might still be a good idea to update to a more current version (but no later that 2010, 2013 is not backwards compatible to 2000) - depends on what windows OS is being used and whether this is going to be upgraded as well.

How big is your backend file? If you are hitting the 2GB limit, the compacting will have little effect and just buys you a little more time. The solution here would be to archive off or deletes some data

RainLover

VIP From a land downunder
Local time
Today, 10:47
Hi,

Recently they have had an issue where a user inserting a new row in a table, as they do, the record above drops off the table (disappears/unrecoverable).
Any advice you can provide, would be much appreciated.

Ross,

Not sure what this means when you say a record drops off.
How does the user gain access to the Table, Query or whatever it is that allows them to delete or add a record.

Have you got any further information that may help.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 20:47
I agree with CJ and Rain --newer version may help keep system current but it will not necessarily resolve problem by itself. Size may be an issue. Are users able to modify their front ends by themselves?
As Rain mentioned a few more details on "record drops off" would/could be helpful. This may be related to tables design, relationships, form related event code or possibly vba. But without details it is purely a guess of possibilities.

It would be helpful if you told us more about the application this database supports. A jpg of your tables and relationships would also be useful.

How familiar are you with debugging techniques? What have you tried? See links in my signature.

What documentation and/or testing facilities do you have?

Do all users have the same copy of the front end? That is, there aren't different versions being used?

Nothing is using wireless connection, right?

PS Welcome to the forum.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom