Solved Access 2007 with Office 365 (1 Viewer)

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 21:28
Hi all,
The charity I volunteer for is saying that all charity work should be carried out by Office 365.
If I accept Office 365 for my PC, is this going to affect me using my Access 2007.? I not only use it for charity work, but other personal work as well.

I know in my last workplace, if the wrong Excel was used on a user PC, then that created conflicts with other office 2007 products.

TIA

HiTechCoach

Local time
Today, 15:28
Offie 365 is basically a subscription to Microfot products. Depending on which subscription level, which Microsoft product are included.

When someone has an Offi e 365 subscription, that usually indicates they have the most current version of the Office Desktop applications installed.

Installing the Apps from the Office 365 subscription will update the applications to the most current versions.

I work with many versions of Office. I use a separate Virtual Machine for each Office version. This avoids any version conflicts.

If I were yuo, I woudl use a VM foir the Office 365 apps.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:28
Hi. As Coach said, you still have to install the apps from O365 onto your computer. Maybe you can skip installing Access when you do that (I'm not sure if that's possible). Just a thought...

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Offie 365 is basically a subscription to Microfot products. Depending on which subscription level, which Microsoft product are included.

When someone has an Offi e 365 subscription, that usually indicates they have the most current version of the Office Desktop applications installed.

Installing the Apps from the Office 365 subscription will update the applications to the most current versions.

I work with many versions of Office. I use a separate Virtual Machine for each Office version. This avoids any version conflicts.

If I were yuo, I woudl use a VM foir the Office 365 apps.
Thanks Boyd,
I'm pretty sure this laptop will not run a decently working VM.
Perhaps I should ask for the version with Access, as they will only give the basics.
I am not going to lose my Access because of their restrictions, I'd rather hand in my notice as a last resort.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Hi. As Coach said, you still have to install the apps from O365 onto your computer. Maybe you can skip installing Access when you do that (I'm not sure if that's possible). Just a thought...
Hi theDBguy,
In my last workplace I seem to recall that we could not send an excel file from within excel via outlook, as the user was using a later version of Excel that came with the new PC.

I would be using Access to send emails amongst other uses.

The link that June7 posted seemed to infer 365 needs at least 2020 to play nice.
Links I found for two KB for 2007produce 404 errors, no chance of even applying them.

I appreciate 2007 is as old as the hills, but all I need.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Hi theDBguy,
In my last workplace I seem to recall that we could not send an excel file from within excel via outlook, as the user was using a later version of Excel that came with the new PC.

I would be using Access to send emails amongst other uses.

The link that June7 posted seemed to infer 365 needs at least 2020 to play nice.
Links I found for two KB for 2007produce 404 errors, no chance of even applying them.

I appreciate 2007 is as old as the hills, but all I need.
Well, if you "need" (must have) 2007, then I don't think you can use O365. Just a guess...

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
suspect the main thing to worry about is if they have installed 64bit version of office - 2007 I believe could only be 32bit. Otherwise something developed in 2007 should work in later versions providing 2007 features have not been deprecated. Looking at this link, doesn't look like there are any

we could not send an excel file from within excel via outlook, as the user was using a later version of Excel
later versions of Excel can read earlier versions, it is the other way round that is a problem (early versions cannot read later versions). I did have a similar situation years ago when .xlsx came out. There was a patch so older versions of Excel could read the .xlsx, but it was never applied to Access. Issue was we would send out a .xls to a client and they would return a .xlsx which we couldn't read from Access

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 16:28
You can try to control M$ updates to 365 products but anything I've done has limited effect so I gave up. Thus not only will you get a new version of Access (AFAIK, it does not come with Office 365, you have to add it on - at least I had to) you will not be able to control updates to any great degree. Perhaps someone here has a different experience with that.

FWIW, they have the right to require everyone is using a specified version I'd say, but that shouldn't impact you in a negative way. I think their only other option is to provide you with the equipment that would allow you to keep what you need and still do work for them. If that's a used laptop or pc then so be it. If not, then I would say "Sorry; I'll be back if anything changes at my end. "

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Whilst I agree that a VM makes it easier to run different versions of Office on the same machine, it is possible to install both without a VM.
My desktop PC has both Office 2010 & Office 365 and I've had that setup for well over 5 years for development purposes.
Note that the older version needs to be installed first.

You will occasionally find that opening the older version after the newer one has been run will lead to it 'reconfiguring itself'
However, if you can put up with that inconvenience, the setup is manageable.

EDIT: Most versions of Office 365 now include Access

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
suspect the main thing to worry about is if they have installed 64bit version of office - 2007 I believe could only be 32bit. Otherwise something developed in 2007 should work in later versions providing 2007 features have not been deprecated. Looking at this link, doesn't look like there are any

later versions of Excel can read earlier versions, it is the other way round that is a problem (early versions cannot read later versions). I did have a similar situation years ago when .xlsx came out. There was a patch so older versions of Excel could read the .xlsx, but it was never applied to Access. Issue was we would send out a .xls to a client and they would return a .xlsx which we couldn't read from Access
It was not the file that was the problem, but the Send option within Excel fell over and I discovered they were using a non 2007 version of Excel.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Whilst I agree that a VM makes it easier to run different versions of Office on the same machine, it is possible to install both without a VM.
My desktop PC has both Office 2010 & Office 365 and I've had that setup for well over 5 years for development purposes.
Note that the older version needs to be installed first.

You will occasionally find that opening the older version after the newer one has been run will lead to it 'reconfiguring itself'
However, if you can put up with that inconvenience, the setup is manageable.

EDIT: Most versions of Office 365 now include Access
Colin,
From the link June7 posted it inferred that 2010 was the earliest that would play ball.?

FWIW they only issue web versions for volunteers, but have agreed to give me a desktop version (thought that has taken over 2 months with no progress :( ) due to all the automation I have created with VBA. Even theOutlook rules in OWA are limited from what I have found.
I use Excel to go straight to our CMS system, Access to keep the office and caseworkers updated with client balances and transactions, and also for year end figures etc.

This is what we get, most of which people will never use. :D

Office 365 E2
Whiteboard (Plan 1)
To-Do (Plan 1)
Microsoft Forms (Plan E1)
Microsoft Stream for O365 E1 SKU
Microsoft StaffHub
Flow for Office 365
PowerApps for Office 365
Microsoft Planner
Microsoft Teams
Sway
Yammer Enterprise
Office for the web
Skype for Business Online (Plan 2)
SharePoint Online (Plan 1)
Exchange Online (Plan 1)

Microsoft Power Automate Free
Common Data Service
Flow Free

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
You can try to control M$ updates to 365 products but anything I've done has limited effect so I gave up. Thus not only will you get a new version of Access (AFAIK, it does not come with Office 365, you have to add it on - at least I had to) you will not be able to control updates to any great degree. Perhaps someone here has a different experience with that.

FWIW, they have the right to require everyone is using a specified version I'd say, but that shouldn't impact you in a negative way. I think their only other option is to provide you with the equipment that would allow you to keep what you need and still do work for them. If that's a used laptop or pc then so be it. If not, then I would say "Sorry; I'll be back if anything changes at my end. "
I accept that I am not the norm :D but the webmail is a PITA to me. Some people know no different. My Branch treasurer only uses webmail on live.co.uk, so it would make no difference to him.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Hi Paul
June has since deleted her post but I found the link as you had quoted her 😏
Anyway, apart from one comment made without supporting evidence, I see nothing to confirm that 2007 & 365 cannot co-exist.
As the only issue (apart from bitness) is registry settings for each version, I can't see why it would matter.
In fact I think one of our long term members has both Office 2003 and Office 365 on the same machine.

However, if you did have a problem, using a VM such as Virtual Box isn't that resource intensive. It works on both my desktop and laptop, both of which are 9 years old....and near the end of life...

Last edited:

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Colin,
THis laptop has 4GB, but runs 32bit win10 so can only access 3GB.? It is Aer Aspite 7720 and probably as old as yours. :D
I do have oodles of disk space though. :) The C drive is 500GB and the D drive 2TB.

Wouldn't I need a new copy of Win10 for it as well?, or would it recognise the same hardware etc if in a VM?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
My desktop is 32 bit Win10 and 4GB RAM and with part of that reserved for the graphics card!
Laptop is 64 bit Win10 with 8GB RAM.

Using a VM may be a bit slow for you but should be usable.

zeroaccess

Local time
I came in to work this Monday morning to find that the latest Office had been installed on all of the computers. That's nice, but unfortunately someone decided we needed the 64-bit version. My DB created in 32-bit Access (2016) no longer worked.

Fixing the problem to make it 64-bit compatible wasn't hard, but just be aware your users may be at your desk/door/office first thing in the morning with complaints.

It doesn't work with the computers still running the 32-bit version, though. I need to figure out how to create some logic so it works either way.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
I came in to work this Monday morning to find that the latest Office had been installed on all of the computers. That's nice, but unfortunately someone decided we needed the 64-bit version. My DB created in 32-bit Access (2016) no longer worked.

Fixing the problem to make it 64-bit compatible wasn't hard, but just be aware your users may be at your desk/door/office first thing in the morning with complaints.

It doesn't work with the computers still running the 32-bit version, though. I need to figure out how to create some logic so it works either way.
Hi. Access bitness, I think, only applies if you're using Windows APIs. If so, when you fixed them, did you use a Compiler Directive? If not, you may have simply converted them all into 64-bit, which may have broken them for 32-bit machines. Or, are you deploying ACCDE versions of your DB? If so, you'll need to compile them using the same bitness, or they won't work.

zeroaccess

Local time
Hi. Access bitness, I think, only applies if you're using Windows APIs. If so, when you fixed them, did you use a Compiler Directive? If not, you may have simply converted them all into 64-bit, which may have broken them for 32-bit machines. Or, are you deploying ACCDE versions of your DB? If so, you'll need to compile them using the same bitness, or they won't work.
I used the PtrSafe in my Declare that uses a Windows API, which shouldn't do anything with the code, just tell Access that it's safe to proceed.

But you are correct, I do deploy .accde files. That means it should work once those machines are updated.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
I used the PtrSafe in my Declare that uses a Windows API, which shouldn't do anything with the code, just tell Access that it's safe to proceed.

But you are correct, I do deploy .accde files. That means it should work once those machines are updated.
Hi. Ptrsafe is usually enough, but not always. It's usually recommended to use compiler directives to be safe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom