Local time
Today, 00:00
Then buy your own subscription since the training is for your own education.n

Last edited:

expat1000

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 21:00
A well re-known and respected MVP has decided to go with PhP. I myself will stay the course - I am close to retirement age and I am not too proud to stock shelves at Home Depot!
I know who you mean. I've the utmost respect for the cleverness and capability of all the Access MVPs but holy cow, to recreate the forms for even a moderately complex Access database in PHP seems like it would be a very complex and time consuming task to me.

GPGeorge

George Hepworth
Local time
I took advantage of the fact that four MS Access team members gave a live presentation to the Denver Area Access User Group. I asked them for their comments on the repeated rumors that Access is going to be deprecated. Dale Rector, Principal Engineering Manager, Access Desktop Engineering Team, Microsoft Corporation responded. My question and his response start around the 56 minute mark.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 05:00
Am I being sceptical that even IF Access was being stopped, would anyone be allowed to even indicate that?
I would expect that they all have signed non disclosure agreements?

Plus you know how Americans love to sue? :) , so who is going to take that risk if they blow the whistle?

GPGeorge

George Hepworth
Local time
Good grief. If the new development work described in that presentation -- a new web browser control and improved interaction with DataVerse -- along with the commitment to a new, modern version of Northwind being developed by a developer team and supported by Microsoft, aren't enough to convince people, I think there's no way to accomplish the feat.

Lightwave

Ad astra
Local time
Today, 05:00
The rumors that Access was going to be deprecated actually started shortly after the first IT manager realized ANYBODY with a desktop computer could create their own database.o_OThat would have been approximately one week after Access was launched in 1992. That's right, we're celebrating 30 years of Access.

And the irony of NEW low code tools is that their ultimate goal is to allow ANYBODY with a desktop computer to create their own database but now on the WEB.

Most must wish they can get as popular as Access

IT departments are likely to have the same problem but quite possibly on a bigger scale.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 00:00
Good grief. If the new development work described in that presentation -- a new web browser control and improved interaction with DataVerse -- along with the commitment to a new, modern version of Northwind being developed by a developer team and supported by Microsoft, aren't enough to convince people, I think there's no way to accomplish the feat.
His response to your soft-pitch question was re-assuring

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom