Solved Access not displaying properly (2 Viewers)

AccessShell

Local time
Today, 14:59
Yes, but whatever it fixed, did not help the current problem. Later tonight when things get settled down and I run my evening programs, I will do a restart (always makes me nervous) and see what happens.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 19:59
You keep mentioning vb6 on the other site, and I have already said office uses vba. Whilst similar, they are not the same, plus you said it was difficult to install vb6 on your setup.?
Has that been working for years with no issues, has that had an update recently, or at least since this issue started?

AccessShell

Local time
I loaded VB6 on the computer over 1 yr ago. No problems with running it or writing programs. Except, of course, what I didn't know for the programming. I have been writing VB6 since it was released. It is now obsolete. VB.net is the successor. I have been using Access 2003 since 2003 with no problems - through several operating systems.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I don't know if VB6 is compatible with O365.
I cannot use VB.net - I don't understand it.
I'm not sure why you are using VB6 rather than Access forms which use VBA. VB.net isn't involved at all.

Several of us opened the file with the one table in it. But your issue is with A2003 so, again. ---- Reinstall your version of Office and hope that fixes the problem. If it doesn't, it means that you may need to back out recent Win 10 updates until you get back to a working version of Windows that doesn't break Access.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Have you rebooted since the sfc?
I am out of all ideas except for a reinstall of first office or just access, then windows.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I have been using Access 2003 since 2003 with no problems - through several operating systems.
You don't seem to be using Access at all. You are only using Jet if all that is in the Access database is tables

AccessShell

Local time
Q1. During a reinstall of Office Pro 2003 will the .doc, .xls. .mdb files be destroyed?
Q2. How do you back out recent Win10 updates.

VB6 is much easier for me to use for coding. For other programs, I use Excel, or Word for the data repository

AccessShell

Local time
I have not rebooted since running scannow. I plan to reboot later this evening.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
This is what the DB window should look like. You are missing 3 lines before the table name

View attachment 113308
I don't recollect seeing those options in A2003. Maybe they are switchable based on some options switch. I'm sure @isladogs has opened the database correctly. I doubt those 3 actions are critical differences.

Edit @isladogs identified the switch involved immediately after your post.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
If the last thing you did didn't fix the problem, why are you avoiding reinstalling Office? No wonder we're up to 70+ posts with no results.

AccessShell

Local time
I am not. I need the time. I ran twice an Office repair. Obviously, it didn't work. I ran scannow. I will restart later tonight and evaluate. The, if needed I will reinstall office.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
If the last thing you did didn't fix the problem, why are you avoiding reinstalling Office? No wonder we're up to 70+ posts with no results.
Up to #46 on the other site :)

AccessShell

Local time
I have reinstalled A2003Pro. The DB still does not open properly.

AHeyne

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 20:59
Maybe there are updates and/or service packs for Office/Access 2003 available, which are not installed, and maybe fix the behaviour?

AccessShell

Local time
I want to rewrite the problem. This may help.
When you open a blank DB you get the following

Ribbon.jpg
Notice how all but 2 icons are not enabled on the ribbon.
If the program was displaying a DB all the icons would be enabled.

When I open a DB the ribbon is enabled for a fraction of a second, then it changes to the picture above.

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
Today, 11:59
I have reinstalled A2003Pro. The DB still does not open properly.
post #74

A2003 is discontinued. MS lo longer supports the product
post #76

Is there a lesson in there somewhere? Did I miss the part where it is impossible to upgrade Access because of reasons?

AccessShell

Local time
Office Pro 2003 is no longer supported by MS. However it still runs. I have been running this set of programs for 20 years with no problem. Sure, I can install O365 but sinv=ce I write VB6 code and interface it with Excel, Word and Access, I cannot use any newer Office product.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Software evolves. The ecosystem evolves. You have likely reached the point where your OS has evolved beyond its ability to support a 20-year old application.

Have you tried backing out Windows updates? This is a royal PITA. How much time are you willing to waste on this?
Sure, I can install O365 but sinv=ce I write VB6 code and interface it with Excel, Word and Access, I cannot use any newer Office product.
Why do you think your other code will break? Generally it will upsize. Just make sure you have clean compiles BEFORE you attempt to upsize.

What platform are you using to write your VB6 code? All the Office apps use VBA. They do not use VB6 so we really don't know what you are doing.

From what you have said, you are not actually using Access. Access is a Rapid Application Development tool that is used to build applications. Jet (.mdb) and ACE (.accdb) are the closely coupled database engines. They are used to hold the Access application objects and in some cases may also be used to hold data for an Access or other application. If all you have in your "Access" database is tables, then you are technically not using Access. Access in your case, is merely the GUI for creating tables. That can be done in VB6 using DAO or ADO. You don't even need to have "Access" installed. I'm pretty sure VB6 can use ADO.

I don't believe we can help you. You have locked yourself in a room and seem to have lost the key.

Unfortunately there is a HUGE interface change between A2003 and A2007 for all the Office apps so that would be a pretty steep learning curve. You will be climbing that hill sooner or later. Under duress (as it now seems) or in a planned conversion (seems to be that ship has sailed). When you install O365, you will be at A2019 at least. Do not under any conditions try to go just to 2007. Newer versions are far better than 2007.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom