Solved Access/Office Title Bar Width Has Changed (1 Viewer)

Oreynolds

Local time
Today, 11:41
Hi,

Does anyone else have the issue where the Access application title bar at the top of the screen has changed width? A number of forms in my DB were sized exactly to an HD screen running 100% font sizes and now because the application title bar has increased in width by 4mm I am losing 4mm of my forms off the bottom.

The really strange thing is that we have circa 12 users all on the same version of office 365 and half of them seem to have a 'new' wider title bar and the other half a narrower one as it has always been.

Is there an easy fix to this? I am hoping so or else I will have to change a lot of my form sizes........

See screenshot below, new wider bar on left, narrower on right!

Header.png

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
think it is something to do with windows11 - which apparently shows a taller title bar

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:41
Idiocy. Why does MS do this to us? When will they stop making change for the sake of change? Did making the title bar taller add any value? No. It is just different and it causes problems in this type of situation.

Make sure you use the feedback option in office and have everyone send the report including pictures so they can see the mess they made.

At some point this change will ripple into my life and cause huge unnecessary updates.

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 19:41
it's not with win 11, it maybe with the version you have (365).
i have win 11 and office 2021.
Snap12.png

Oreynolds

Local time
there is same discussion here of "thick" title bar on mso 365 (windows 10).
there is also an Accepted solution on the forum.
Thick window title bar in office 365 applications - Microsoft Tech Community

Yes, I had also found this but do not really understand what they are referring too or where you find the coming soon section?

They refer to a megaphone but the only one I can find is here and that doesn't give you any options to turn anything off? Any thoughts on this?

As you started we are running windows 10 latest version with office 365 latest version.

Capture.JPG

Oreynolds

Local time
At last I was able to get ride of that funny ugly title bar.
Million thanks.

Hi - did you manage to get rid of the wider title bar? If so how? I have seen the solution online as below but I don't understand where you find the 'Coming Soon' section and how you turn it off? Thanks

KitaYama

Local time
Today, 20:41
Hi - did you manage to get rid of the wider title bar? If so how? I have seen the solution online as below but I don't understand where you find the 'Coming Soon' section and how you turn it off? Thanks

Forget about Access.
Open Excel
Click "Coming Soon" button (left side of minimize button in title bar)

2022-02-22_17-39-50.png

Scroll down the new window that is shown and Turn off this option

2022-02-22_17-46-30.png

Close all office apps.
Start Access. The title bar is back to it's normal size

Last edited:

Oreynolds

Local time
Forget about Access.
Open Excel
Click "Coming Soon" button (left side of minimize button in title bar)

View attachment 98467

Scroll down the new window that is shown and Turn off this option

View attachment 98468

Close all office apps.
Start Access. The title bar is back to it's normal size

Perfect - thanks for this, all sorted! That's 30+ forms I no longer have to resize!

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
@KitaYama
you cut too tight on the menus. I can't find them in my version of Excel. What version are you using and can you widen the pictures so I have a frame of reference? Thanks

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
This is the relevant item in Excel:
1645572908959.png

However, I think that is irrelevant.
The feature that does space the ribbon items & toolbar slightly more is the toggle Mouse/Touch mode which spaces all ribbon & title bar items slightly more for optimal use with touchscreens:

This is standard mouse mode (Access - Home menu)

1645573260953.png

and this is the same menu in touch mode

1645573535829.png
enu

If you do use touch screens, this feature is very useful! If not, just stick to mouse mode

Attachments

• 1645573228825.png
    1645573228825.png
    59.3 KB · Views: 217
  • 1645573348617.png
    1645573348617.png
    61.6 KB · Views: 269

KitaYama

Local time
@isladogs
I've already tried that option. Changing Mouse/Touch option changes the space between command and has no effect on title bar height. At least for my version of office.

That's why I went with turning off that option.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Thanks, I see it now.

MS has made the text so fashionably faint that I can barely see it. I have to wear my reading glasses and get my nose right up to the screen to see anything these days. I tried the dark version but that really sucks. Colorful doesn't help with the contrast for the text All they need to do is to make the text darker so it has more contrast. That's it. But since the children are running the show at MS, they feel no need to make it easy for tired old eyes. They do all sorts of fancy things and this is one of those but all they really need is to darken the text or give me an option to darken the text to provide more contrast.

KitaYama

Local time
Thanks, I see it now.

MS has made the text so fashionably faint that I can barely see it. I have to wear my reading glasses and get my nose right up to the screen to see anything these days. I tried the dark version but that really sucks. Colorful doesn't help with the contrast for the text All they need to do is to make the text darker so it has more contrast. That's it. But since the children are running the show at MS, they feel no need to make it easy for tired old eyes. They do all sorts of fancy things and this is one of those but all they really need is to darken the text or give me an option to darken the text to provide more contrast.
@Pat Hartman
I had the exact same problem.
I played with windows Cleartype font and chose a more dark and bold font for all my 4 monitors.
Now I see much better.
Give it a try.

Click start and type "Adjust Clearytype". You can also open control panel and search for it.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Thanks Kita,
I think it might be better but it is still waaaaaaaaaaaaay too light. I had cataracts removed two years ago and at that time I no longer needed the reading glasses to use the computer. Now with Access I have to use them again. My eyes haven't changed but Access has. Other applications I work mostly with text and that is adjustable so it isn't much of a problem but I can barely see the navigation pane the text is so light.

I changed this site to shades of blue. I don't like it but at least I can read the text from a comfortable distance. The black version of Office is still pretty awful but i can see it better with that change to Clear type

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom