Access via a web page - HTML (1 Viewer)

Kenln

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:18
You know this probably isn't the right place but most everything I've done have been VBA and the users are so helpful I thought I'd at least start here. And besides I'm not fond of cross-posting.

There is a push here to switch to PHP and Java Script. We are already using SQL as the back end for most of our data so it makes sense.

I DON'T want to stir the pot here, but is Access going away?

If not what am I missing; is there a way to port the forms to a web page, combo boxes, tab controls and all? I even have buttons that generate Excel spread sheets.

Could anyone offer direction? Or at least direction to how to port access to html?

Thanks,

Simon_MT

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:18
Not really. You could be better to use a Terminal Server as the php, jsp or asp route will be time consuming to to firstly understand and then to develop.

Simon

spikepl

Eledittingent Beliped
Local time
Today, 07:18
Push to switch to PHP/Javascript? The customary sequence of events in a managed environment is to define the needs, then the requirements, and first then choose fitting tools/methods. A web-driven app is not the same as a locally installed app. Define the needs and the requirements - that would be the proper starting point for making decisions.

SInce you haven't stated any requirements, I'd agree with Simon MT. Look into terminal server or other remote desktop solutions like LogMeIn, TeamViewer, gotoAssist or some flavour of VNC, prior to embarking on a dedicated web solution. I have run into tools (on the web) that from Access can create huge chunks of VB.NET or perhaps even ASP.NET - google it - but there is a steep learning curve from VBA to .NET (or any other web script).

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 22:18
is Access going away?

If so, it's a secret being kept even from the Access development team at Microsoft, as they are hard at work on the upcoming version. I don't think MS would be investing the time and effort if it was going away. Access 2010 introduced the web version, which works with Sharepoint, but VBA isn't allowed in that environment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom