Accessing a database from another location (1 Viewer)

ChrisSedgwick

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 22:19
Hi All,

Quick question (not sure it's under the correct section)...

We have a split database in our company where the backend sits on the server and the front end is distributed to each employee.

If an employee wanted to access the database and input data from another location away from the office, where would we start with that?

We've set it up before where the user simply access the whole database, however the file size was huge and it always used to crash. I'm sure there's a way to just access the front end, maybe with a VPN set up sp that users are able to access the server.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 22:19
VPN may be the way to go in the short term although performance can be very slow with access, much better if the back end is sql server or mySql. The front end is on the users mobile device and connects to the back end in the usual way.

An alternative if the user has a pc in the office and is using a separate mobile device is to look at Teamviewer/JumpDesktop/Logmein which is like a terminal server for one but the user needs an office based computer to log into and you may have resistance from the IT department. The benefit over VPN is speed since the user is using the front end on the office pc and the only network traffic is updating the screen. I use this myself when out in the field and it works well (subject to a decent internet connection) - even if I'm abroad, but then I'm responsible for my own IT security...

Longer term, I would look at using terminal server or citrix

spikepl

Eledittingent Beliped
Local time
Today, 23:19
Read the sticky

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom