adding new field to exisiting form (or report) (1 Viewer)

C

capri

Hope someone can point me in the right direction. Frequently I have created a form and later on want to add a new field to it.

I haven't a clue how to do it. I hate having to create a new form each time as I am sure there is an easier way to do it.

Also if someone knows where I can find some good information on how the expression builder works, would appreciate it. I just keep running around in circles whenever I rename a field and want to change the association on a form or report. Keep getting the expression builder come up, but nothing that makes sense to me seems to work. I'm sure it's quite straight forward, just need to know how it works. Access help is not much help unless you know the correct term to look for (which I don't seem to be able to discover).

Thanks for any suggestions.

ssvec

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:47
Open the form/report in design view. You should have a toolbar that has icons on it for the different controls you can add to the form,just click on what you want and draw it on the form. If you have the wizard button clicked(looks like a wand) it will walk you through the setup of the control. Does that answer your question?

C

capri

well I tried it but no luck. Clicking on the wand does nothing (using Access97). I can add a control (eg check box) but when I click on the properties it does not give me the option of picking a control source.

I'm still rather new to Access, learning in bits and pieces. I generally use the wizards to create tables, queries, forms and reports then try and modify them afterwards (unless I've copied an item from the Northwinds or other such db).

It just seems that if I create the form or report and later want to add another field I can't accomplish it without creating a new form. Knowing how most of the microsoft products work, I know there is an easier way, but I just can't seem to find it.

I have found that if I copy another checkbox item, then change the control source and caption it works, but what happens if I don't already have a checkbox item on my form, then it's back to creating a new one.

Angello Pimental

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:47
Capri,
You state that you want to add a new field to a form. I am slightly confused by this statement, as normally you add a new field to a table.

Are you trying to add a new type of information to your database? Or does the information already exist and you want to create a new text box or combo box to display this information?

Concerning the checkbox and control source, if you go to the properties of the form, by double clicking the little box in the top left corner of your form, you can select the record source for your form.
Choose the table or query where your information is stored. You then can go to the properties of your checkbox and choose the control source without having to use the expression builder.

HTH

Angelo

[This message has been edited by Angello Pimental (edited 06-21-2001).]

Chris RR

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:47
Maybe this will help.

Basically, there are forms that pull in their data from a query or table ("bound" forms), and forms that don't ("unbound"...a menu would be a good example). You can tell by looking at the properties for the form, and seeing if the Record Source is filled in.

If your form is based on a query or a table, you need to add the new field to the table or query first.

Once you've saved the table or query, that new field should be available to your form or report. In Design view, you can select View, then pick Field List, to see all the available fields. One easy way to get a field onto a report is to just drag and drop it from this list.

When you are working in forms or reports, make sure that you can see the Toolbox. It's on the View menu. This is where you find the icons for adding all kinds of fields.

When you are using the Expression Builder to pick the Control Source for a field, you need to click first (in the lower left side of the Builder box) on the table or query that is the source for your form or report. Then you can double-click on the field you want in the middle section of the box.

You can get to functions almost the same way (click functions in the left box, pick a category in the middle box, select the function from the rightmost box), then fill in the variables by picking fields from the table or query.

C

capri

Thanks Angelo and Chris

I actually just discovered how to "by double clicking the little box in the top left corner of your form, you can select the record source for your form.
Choose the table or query where your information is stored. You then can go to the properties of your checkbox and choose the control source without having to use the expression builder" by playing around. Made the change I wanted and was so pleased with myself. But unfortunately I don't have unlimited time to play, so can only do a bit every now and then between real work.

I knew I had to add the field to the query first, but my problem was getting the field onto the form. I just tried the view Field List and dragged and dropped the field I wanted. That seems so simple now.

Will have to keep trying the expression builder piece, still think I am missing something there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom