Adding to & improving databases? (1 Viewer)

Matthew Lamkin

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:25
Hello, I'm looking into creating a databse that will allow me to record the issue of schematic diagrams & printed circuit board files.

If I start small & make one that will issue diagrams, using a table to keep static main info in & another to record what gets isued to who.

Can I later on then add another table linked to the same main table that records issuing of other information (keyword = easily)?

Can I then, once these are both sorted out & working & full of data, add security to record windows login names & allow certain functions depending upon the logon name ?

Or do I have to plan for it all before I start?
Thankyou,
Matthew.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:25
Can I later on then add another table linked to the same main table that records issuing of other information (keyword = easily)?

No clear answer. It depends on how intertwined the new and old tables will be and whether the new data has to immediately affect old forms or reports.

Can I then, once these are both sorted out & working & full of data, add security to record windows login names & allow certain functions depending upon the logon name ?

This is usually possible. However, users who HAD access to something but don't have it any more are easily the worst known users in the world. They'll say, "How DARE you take away my rights to table XYZ when you KNOW I was using it?" And there is no clear argument in response unless you have been authorized to do so by someone higher up in the office pecking order.

Or do I have to plan for it all before I start?

You don't HAVE to plan it all - but it wouldn't hurt to have some ideas set aside so you will have an idea of how and where the next set of changes has to go when you finally get around to making the changes.

In the 1970's, Nicklaus Wirth was quoted as saying that 90% of all problems in programming an application were caused by faulty or imcomplete design of data elements. You are asking for permission (blessing?) to make incomplete data designs. I can only say that the longer you wait to complete your design, the more it will cost you in the long run. And that has been proven by more programming studies than I could shake a big stick at.

Matthew Lamkin

Registered User.
Local time
I don't think it needs to affect any old forms etc.

I want to have a database that lists schematic diagram names, then records the issues of them.

I think (with brain of a potato) this should be case of having a table with the names of the diagrams in, then another linked to the first with the records of when they were issued.

Intertwining, well I don't yet know how to do that, I'll have an ID in each table, each schematic will have its own ID number, I'm assuming that there is some way of having a form that I can show the schematic name & then type issue details into the issue table while linking them both together somehow.

My database history was with some obscure database that was all the college could afford at the time & not access.

Thanks.

Matthew Lamkin

Registered User.
Local time
I have been helped by the IT manager who has pointed me in the right direction to start with & am trying it thankyou..

I have a table with static info like "Boardname" & "Description" in.
Then another table with "Boardname" (relationship pointing to other table, same filed), also an "boardissue" and then lots of fields that are specific to that "issue" of the board.

Then I have a further table that is going to link to both "boardname" and "boardissue" from the 2nd table that then records every time I issue a schematic diagram, to whoever I give it to.

I have setup the relationships, now I'm just making a form with a subform in to enter the boardname, then the issues with.

As I think of something that I want to be able to record & am putting it in as & when, so that I can utilize it later.

Then I have to do some real work & leave it for the rest of the day until I'm not so busy again.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom