Advertisement Claims

ColinEssex said:
women all suddenly wearing low cut jeans that expose their underwear. . . . .
Col

That's disgusting! Where can we see evidence of this trend ?

Rich said:
Do you borrow hers instead? ;) :D

That reminds me of my recent two week holiday in Canada, when for the first week my wife had to wear some of my clothes because BA lost her luggage:mad:

She only received it as we were leaving the hotel to go on our second part of the trip.:rolleyes:

ColinEssex said:
... and taking purple hearts (drugs - not those badges American servicemen get for cutting their finger).

Careful, You're on thin ice...It's been a while since I called anyone a name...

ColinEssex said:
Not as much as there is today.

I think this may well depend on the school you attend and they way they deal with this type pf behaviour. My kids go to a state school with a wide mixture of children. My daughter has a boy in her class with special needs and he is very much accepted in the school. I think a lot of this competitive behaviours is learnt at home for these kids. They pick it up from the telly and this is then reinforced by their partner who are often themselves just are hung up on having all he right gear. They then go to school and are "allowed" to continue in this way. I do not tolerate my children being cruel about other kids over trivial things as the way the dress. I hopefully also teach them by my example. This doesn't mean I don't get them the things they ask for but" everyone has one" is not an argument that works in my house!

Rich said:
That's disgusting! Where can we see evidence of this trend ?
Colchester High Street

Groundrush said:
because BA lost her luggage
Gosh, the A team have gone downhill:rolleyes:

KenHigg said:
You must be desperate to do so then:rolleyes: :D

Col

ColinEssex said:
Not as much as there is today. I understand that if you are the slightest bit different from the mainstream (disabled, wear glasses, religious etc) then bullying can be a real problem. I've heard of kids being beaten up because they are dislexic or they stutter.
Col

Kids have always been cruel towards those who appear less fortunate than them, of course the problem's now being solved by our glorious leader :rolleyes: who's going to get tough on school bullies. :rolleyes:

Rich said:
Kids have always been cruel towards those who appear less fortunate than them, of course the problem's now being solved by our glorious leader :rolleyes: who's going to get tough on school bullies. :rolleyes:

Some kids have always been cruel ...

Some people think an elected offical and a law written on a pc of paper can fix it...:rolleyes:

here in holland we also have a comercial, which i hope isn't true.
it's an insurance comercial... and it sums up some of the advantages.....
it says at a moment : guaranteed operation within 14 days........
BUT THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH ME...........

KenHigg said:

I see no reason why this should be the case:D

Off tracks?

I've seen so many car ads and they say something like "We have the largest selection in the Northwest" or "We are rated the best by Associated Press" or "We have the best deal and lowest price"..... and many more. Does the government require proofs for these kinds of claim? They can't just say anything they want, can they?

It's nice to see that my thread has expanded to three pages but I see none, maybe the second one, answers the question. With all the discussion going on, I guess that they somewhat answer the question, advertisers can say whatever they want in their commercials.

Any other thoughts?

As I understand it, there are some regulations for what advertisers say in the US, but I don't know what they are, because they seem to lie all the time. Or at least stretch the truth. I know they need to honor what they advertise, but you have to watch out for the * at the end of the statement that leads to the fine print that you can't find in the literature.

And the government is only concerned with advertising in that is meets the criteria for good capitalism, and keeps the masses docile and buying things.

That's my view

Lisa

How about this: If you don't approve of the commercials, click the off button. ?

Supercharge, the short answer is they legally have to tell the truth. Adversiters who make false claims can be sued or worse. The problem is that vague language can be misleading but still true. To follow your example, "The largest selection in the Northwest" could mean the largest inventory, the most variety of models or makes or colors, etc. It just isn't clear even though it gives you the impression that whatever you're looking for, you'll find it there.

I hope that answers your question.

Groundrush said:
I once bought a can of Right Guard Deodorant & used it for a month.

I'm still waiting to be mobbed by a group of tall gorgeous women :mad:

Ahem... Selena? I think you missed you cue, sweetheart....

ColinEssex said:
not those badges American servicemen get for cutting their fingerCol

You sure like to trash talk. Any thread can be turned into a anti-American flame (most of the time when it has nothing to do with the subject). Good thing a few of those same American servicemen showed up and cut a few fingers for you guys or you would probably be speaking German today.

Last edited:
ShaneMan said:
Good thing a few of those same American servicemen showed up and cut a few fingers for you guys or you would probably be speaking German today.

Well actually had we not stood up on our own to Hitler you guys would be speaking a mixture of German/Japanese

ShaneMan said:
You sure like to trash talk. Any thread can be turned into a anti-American flame (most of the time when it has nothing to do with the subject). Good thing a few of those same American servicemen showed up and cut a few fingers for you guys or you would probably be speaking German today.
I was clarifying the difference between purple hearts (the drug) and purple hearts (the badge) and to the handing out of Purple Hearts (badges) like Smarties for everything from serious injury to a superficial cut. It seems to have lost its value because almost every serviceman gets one - they're even on ebay!
It wasn't a reference to the US intervention in WW2 - even if it was 2 years late.;)

Incidentally, many people in the UK speak German, Spanish, French, Italian etc - we like to be prepared for the next invasion.

Col

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom