Aiming to start building a database (1 Viewer)

mipak

Local time
Today, 13:08
only joined this forum a couple of days ago so very new and very green to the workings of databases. i run w7 pro along with win office pro plus 2016 as well as a few other programmes. My hobby is collecting music and films and have kept some of these listed in spreadsheets but a few weeks ago, decided to move everything over to a database.
basically, in the music db, i would probably have no more than 4 tables linked together rather like a family tree say from g/father to father to son. in the first level of 4 music tables, each of the tables will have 2 columns, Artists Names & Date Last Saved. each of the second level tables will also contain 2 columns, Album(s) Names & Date Last Saved and in the third level, the table will contain
5 columns, Track Names, Track Length, Track Size, Audio Type & Date Last Saved.
then as far as the film db is concerned, it will have just 1 table split into 5 columns.
and that's it in a nutshell.
i'm sure i'll be using this forum quite often but i would very much like to hear your thoughts please about what i've written above.
i'd be very grateful.
michael.

Umpire

Local time
Today, 06:08
Welcome!
Pay attention to your object names (Tables fields forms reports etc..) I just had to spend 2 days fixing the mistake of not paying attention to that.

No reserved characters A dash (-) is a reserved character. Do not use spaces either. Access will think the names on either side of the space are different objects. They will work fine. Until you go to do some advanced things using VBA instead of the built in wizards etc.

Use tblMyFirstTable instead of My First Table
StartDate_Project instead of Project Start Date or better would be ProjectStart avoiding the use of the reserved word Date

There are numerous threads here and on various sites discussing naming of objects in Access. Save yourself some time and pain and research it now before you start.

mipak

Local time
Today, 13:08
hi ...
many thanks to you for taking an interest in my first post ... i'm not really sure that i understand what you were telling me to do ... it's obvious that i need to get a hold of a book about access databases before i come back to the forum but before i temporarily disappear, i have a quick question:
i've noticed that some members of the forum include a diagram of a database in their posts ... can someone tell me how to do the same so that i can also prepare a diagram of what i'm looking to do in my database please? i think it'll help me a great deal.
thank you ...
michael.

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 05:08
I was suggesting you look for existing db templates that might serve your needs or at least guide you by example in building your own.

Build tables and relationships in Access then do screen capture of the Relationships diagram in Access. Or use some graphics software to build ERD (entity relationship diagram) and save it as a jpg image. MS Word graphics tools can even be used to build this or buy some specialized app like MS Visio - however, possibly they can only save to PDF image type.

Use the 'Insert Image' icon on post editor menu to attach that image.

Last edited:

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:08
Hi Michael. Welcome to AWF!

When I was starting out, I used paper and pencil to draw out my database diagrams. This was so I could get an overall picture of my design. After a while, I learned how to use drawing applications like Visio, so I graduated from pencil and paper. However, I sometimes still use pen and paper for quickly jotting down ideas.

Just sharing...

Mike Krailo

Local time
Today, 09:08
I use drawio desktop version for ERD's. There is a learning curve but it's easy after you spend some time with it. I agree with June7 about looking at the existing databases that deal with music catalogs or for creating playlists and doing DJ work. Member @lodmark and @MickJav have some very interesting work in this area. Read through all of those threads and see how detailed you want to get with it.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:08
Welcome mipak! As theDBGuy suggested from his experience take time to understand your requirement. Create a diagram/data model to identify your tables and attributes and what it is that relates same.
There are several articles in different formats in this Database Planning and Design link that may help you.
Good luck with your project.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom