Amazon price Hike! - Logitech H390 USB Headset. (1 Viewer)

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 20:04
As you probably know I create YouTube videos and it's very important to have a good quality microphone and headset. However I avoid the top end tackle, as I think it's overpriced. I've been through some of the mid-range headsets, usually somewhere between £25 and £50 quid...

I find Logitech headsets to be very good, I've had several different types from Logitech and the latest one I've got is the Logitech H390 USB Headset. However the plastic construction of the band that goes over your head is very cheap and flimsy and is usually the first thing to go, and that's just happened!

I've had the headset for about 18 months, I bought it from Amazon at around £20...

Just gone back on Amazon to buy another one and it's gone up to £49.95?

That's bloody ridiculous! I've had a word with Amazon and they say it's out of their hands, they can't do anything about it, so searching around I found the same headset on

Logitech website for £34.99 ... I brought two to bring the price up & trigger free delivery...

It's an excellent headset, but make sure you shop around!

I'd be interested to know how much it's available for from Amazon USA, any Americans or Canadians here that could have a look and do a price check for me? Would be much appreciated as I need to get my head around this price hike!

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Amazon delivered this headset earlier this afternoon:-

Mpow PC Headset, Multi-Use USB Headset

I got it because of the price hike on the Logitech headset. But it was a abysmal! I did a test recording with it, and the audio had an underlying hissing noise more like random noise than static, and my voice sounded hollow and and unreal.

So I boxed it up and it's here ready to go back.

That's when I realised I had no choice but to buy the the Logitech headset, I'm a very happy with it, accept.. what on earth is Amazon doing to the price! Luckily I found it cheaper as explained above..

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Presumably a few have been sold for zoom meetings and the like in the current environment?
Supply and demand is all I would have thought?

I'm still using a 3.5mm headset from when I was working.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:04
Is this the right one?

1594410690074.png

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Or if you want to start selling them:

1594410849270.png

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Thanks Paul, yes I think it's the first one. It is good to see that they are similarly priced. My suspicion Amazon were hiking the price because had come back to buy another one was just a paranoid delusion! At least Amazon is not out to get me... Not like eBay, every time I try to buy something there, they put the price up!

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 16:04
That was a US price? That would be odd.
I can get it at Best Buy (59.99) or Amazon.ca (55.25)
I'd agree - demand would cause a price hike.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
The $54.xx prices I posted were US. Hadn't thought of Best Buy, and wow, 24.99! Unless I've got the wrong item:

1594426292424.png

Attachments

• 1594426281242.png
    1594426281242.png
    49.3 KB · Views: 225

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Doesn't appear to be an option to buy from "best buy" in the UK.

Thanks for your help guys, it's good to see a range of prices on an item as this shows that "market forces" are working correctly.

If anyone is looking for a headset I highly recommend the Logitech 390 USB headset.

The microphone is particularly good, and the electronics in the USB "sound card" work well with the mic to reproduce near-perfect audio.

The Downside, which is a problem with practically every headset I've ever purchased, is they are very delicate and break easily, the same goes for the Logitech 390.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
I'm not keen on the double ear piece models. Mine (not logitech, just a cheapo) is a single ear model with clamp.
Of course if they were for music then that is another matter.?

I still have a set of Wharfdale DD1 headphones, that are huge, but the sound seems to come from a few feet away with them. :)

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
just a cheapo

I used those type of headsets for years, they worked well with speech recognition. I always used the Microsoft word speech recognition software which you had to train! Now I use Google. Like you I prefer a single earpiece. However the problem was when I started recording YouTube videos the quality just wasn't good enough. The recorded voice was very poor with nearly every headset I chose.

The Logitech headset is very good, and I suspect, I don't know, that it's because the "USB Sound Card" for want of a better term, is built into the USB plug, and I guess that Logitech have matched the sound card very well to the microphone.

For listening to music I use mpow Blue Tooth Headphones similar to these...

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I use a 340 which are around £25.

If you can wait until September, they are £34 here

Edit: Just realised that's where you got yours from

I often use this site for price comparisons

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
A funny side note. Some people report getting different pricing based on which device they were searching with. Cookies surely play a part in this .

So if you are old and on a home computer tower (IP address) vs a modern smart phone there is a reported significant price swings from the same vendors.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
I often use this site for price comparisons

Very useful thank you Chris, I will keep a note of that site! I just get so used to using Amazon, I've got to break that habit!

Darrell

Registered User.
Local time
I still have a set of Wharfdale DD1 headphones, that are huge, but the sound seems to come from a few feet away with them. :)

Wow, had a look on google and those look pretty massive... Are they very heavy....?

I've been fortunate enough to obtain these about a year ago and my ears have never been happier!

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
No, not particularly heavy, but the sound is great. They do have a 6.35mm plug on them though. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom