Android or iPhone? Which one do you choose? (1 Viewer)

What is your Divice?

• Android

• iPhone

Results are only viewable after voting.

deletedT

Local time
Today, 17:58
Here, almost everybody I know or everybody I see is using iPhone. But I really can not understand why?

I'm really eager to know what was the main reason you chose your device.
I've been using android because:
  1. Android OS is available for use for all manufacturers free of charge. I have a Android TV, Android car navigation, Android Pot, Android Air conditioner, Android Microwave and several more. I can control them from my account. For example I can download a receipt and send it to our Microwave for tonight's dinner.
  2. NFC. This is the most important factor for me. With a touch and go, I can pay for anything, I can purchase anywhere, I can ride Bus, Subway, Train, Taxi. I can run a macro and do a lot of tasks, automating actions. By touching a bar code in a millisecond, I can change the whole customization of my device. I can send/receive any kind of files/media whatever I want to other android deceives (including our TV)
  3. A file browser more powerful than windows explorer. I can even delete/modify system files with my file manager.
  4. I can connect it to my PC and use it just like an external drive. Drag - Drop - Move - Copy - Paste from/to folders between my device and PC.
  5. Doesn't need iTune to copy music or movies. I just simply send them to my device. It makes it possible to be able to connect my phone to any PC I want (iPhone allows syncing only with one PC)
  6. Dual or multi logins on the same device. I can have several accounts on my mobile. One for my job, One for my personal use, etc. When I come to office I use the account specified for my work. All the address-book, setting etc is for this purpose. When I go back home I can simply switch account for my private use. I can share data between accounts.
  7. Multi tasking & Multi window. I can chat with a friend while I'm on tweeter, or excel or typing a mail or whatever else. I can have half of the screen playing a video from youtube, and another half open any other app.
  8. I can download and install any app from any source I want. It's my device. I've paid for it. So I'm free to do whatever I like. I'm not limited to App store only and allowed Apps only.
  9. USB C is the next generation. No doubt. Even recent PCs come with USB C.
  10. I can replace the launcher.
  11. Widgets.
  12. Customizability.
  13. Better hardware
  14. Cheaper price.
  15. Android is able to work with CD memory cards. The first time you insert a SD card, it will ask you how you want to use it. As a 1)RAM OR 2)External drive for saving files, photos, movies, etc. It means if your device is old and you have a law memory, you can add memory. Just like a PC.
  16. Last but not least, Android rooting is much simpler than iPhone's JailBreak.

Point : What is interesting to me, gaining root access in iPhone is called JailBreak. Escaping from a cage. This phrase alone shows how iPhone is limited.

EDIT : 15 added.

Last edited:

Pac-Man

Local time
Today, 22:58
What is interesting to me, gaining root access in iPhone is called JailBreak. Escaping from a cage. This phrase alone shows how iPhone is limited.
Perfect analogy. I'm also not a fan of iPhones due to too much restrictions and high prices. One thing I have to admit is their hardware is much rugged and reliable.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
If you have an older relative, let's say someone less skilled in IT, then steer them towards an iPhone. However if you have an older relative (like my mother) who has always been interested in IT, then steer them towards an Android. I recall my mum bought one of the first Texas instruments pocket calculators and I wanted to take it to school for exams!

In recent years my mother's faculties have decreased, and hence she is now using an iPhone. Mind you, I think this change is more because my brother and sisters have iPhones, and they like to talk to her via FaceTime. On the other hand it could be that she doesn't want to speak to me anymore!

When I was in Barcelona recently I noticed that most people had Android. I asked about this and the person scoffed saying that no one in Spain has iPhones.

There is a bit of superiority connected to the use of an iPhone, a bit like having a BMW or Rolls-Royce something like that. Not sure that's quite so true in America because apple is American and it's more like being true to your country to buy an iPhone, I would guess..

deletedT

Local time
but made in China....
made in(inside) China not made by their technology. That's a great difference. Most people think because most of Japanese products are manufactured in China, it's made by them. They work in a company that is run by Sony, IBM, Dell, Apple, Toyota or others.
You don't believe me, just try a DongFeng and compare it to Toyota or Ford or whatever else.
Or ride a Shinkansen and feel how it's different with a Chinese bullet train.

They don't own the technology (yet).

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:58
I carry an LG flip-phone. As usual, I'm the maverick of the crowd. But I also am not a slave to the electronic leash.

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:58
My wife currently has an iPhone (I have a flip phone, pay as you go service). We had android phones for a number of years. The software on them seemed to be flaky (a lot of frozen phone issues. Hard resets required). Yes the iphone is more expensive, but the software seem more stable. We do not download a lot of apps. And only really keep a few pictures (<100) and a few videos on it until I transfer them to my computer.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Android is a million times better. Same thing I'd say for Windows vs. Mac. With Android, you tell the phone what to do, rather than the phone telling you what to do. Sums it up.

deletedT

Local time
We had android phones for a number of years. The software on them seemed to be flaky (a lot of frozen phone issues. Hard resets required).
I admit up to version 6, android had a little troubles. From version 7, Google started a complete renewal of the whole OS.
And now we are running on version 10 and 11 will be out soon.
You may want to give newer versions a try.

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
Not that I have checked in a while. Are the phones still getting larger? I think we have a iPhone 7 now. It is just the right size.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
I started with a android razr flip phone. Then got hooked on the several iphones and now it's full circle with the Samsung S10e. I am loving the Samsung.

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Today, 13:58
I love Android. The ability to customize, unlock, root, and install custom roms are all very important to me. The ability to use whatever keyboard, dialer, browsers, contact lists, calendar I want without much fuss is awesome. Plus, the ability to install stuff easily without even using Google's play store is nice. They don't have full control of what I install or from where. They also can't delete stuff from my phone without permission or notification, like what has happened with paid apple apps in the past when they've removed stuff from their store and force deleted it from a user's phone.

You pretty much touched everything I love about Android. I don't think I can make a more perfect list.

deletedT

Local time
They also can't delete stuff from my phone without permission or notification, like what has happened with paid apple apps in the past when they've removed stuff from their store and force deleted it from a user's phone.

You have a good point I'd never thought about. Reading the pros you explained, I remember I'd missed one more important fact that android is able to work with SD memory cards, but it's not available in iPhone.
It means even if I have an android device with law memory, I can easily use a SD card and ask my device to use it as a 1)RAM OR 2)external drive for saving files.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
I started with a android razr flip phone. Then got hooked on the several iphones and now it's full circle with the Samsung S10e. I am loving the Samsung.
That is what we have, the Samsung S10e. One of my daughters bought the Samsung 10 and the 10e was "free" provided you stay with Verizon for 2 years. Amazon had a sale on SD cards, so I was able to get a 256GB SD card for just over $20. Android Auto looks to be a very useful feature, have not yet had an opportunity to really test it out in a "tough" navigation scenario. My only complaint, the usual junkware (that all providers seem to infect your phone with) that you can't remove.

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
You have a good point I'd never thought about. Reading the pros you explained, I remember I'd missed one more important fact that android is able to work with SD memory cards, but it's not available in iPhone.
It means even if I have an android device with law memory, I can easily use a SD card and ask my device to use it as a 1)RAM OR 2)external drive for saving files.

And removable batteries from some Android phones.

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
Hmm, iPhone and quite happy. I need my phone for several things and it does them just fine after *training* Siri. Connects to my iPads and my PC 's and handles Office 365 (except Access) like a pro across all devices. I guess I don't need all the *customization* you folks seem to need.

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
Hmm, just noticed Item 5, my iPhone connects to my Desktop and my main Laptop and syncs with my iPad, not sure why it is only allowing you to connect to only one PC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom