angel of the North- versus Angel of the South (1 Viewer)

GaryPanic

Smoke me a Kipper,Skipper
Local time
Today, 08:40
Why...
It seems that us southerners need to have a bigger angel than the northerners -

no idea why .

GaryPanic

Local time
A public sculpture twice as high as the Angel of the North and intended to be visible from road, rail and air, is to be built in the south of England.
Five artists have been shortlisted for the £2m public art commission sited on a hilltop in north Kent, including Turner Prize winner Mark Wallinger.

The work will mark the new Ebbsfleet International station and the planned transformation of Ebbsfleet Valley.

It is expected to be completed on a site next to the A2 by 2010.

"It is an iconic thing we're trying to create here," said Allan Willett, chairman of the selection committee, and Lord Lieutenant of Kent.

He said the new sculpture, the height of Nelson's Column, would represent the regeneration of north west Kent, and the growth of London eastwards.

War protest

Wallinger won the 2007 Turner Prize for State Britain, in which he recreated in a gallery Brian Haw's anti-Iraq war protest mounted outside Parliament.

The other shortlisted names to design the sculpture are French artist Daniel Buren, Turner Prize winners Richard Deacon and Rachel Whiteread, whose work has included a concrete cast of the inside of an entire Victorian terraced house, and sculptor Christopher Le Brun.

The Angel of the North has helped to regenerate Tyneside

They will develop proposals for the 50 metre (164ft) Ebbsfleet Landmark over the next three months, with the final work to be chosen by a selection panel.

Wallinger said the site was in an area with a rich history, dating back to the Bronze Age

"Its current position at the nexus of road and rail links to Europe emphasises its position as a gateway to London and England - a position it has enjoyed since the Romans built Watling Street.

"The challenge is to create something enduring that is a landmark for the transient passenger or motorist and a cherished part of the town.

"Chalk quarries, cement works and the remains of the paper industry now dot the landscape.

HAVE YOUR SAY In general I think money used to fund public art is well spent
Mark, UK
Send us your comments"There is a wealth of material and historical inspiration for an artist."

Whiteread said: "It has been a long time since I have been so excited about a project.

"Having grown up close to the area, I find the landscape of this part of Kent familiar, fascinating and inspiring.

"Properly-funded commissions of this scale and ambition are rare."

Antony Gormley's steel Angel of the North was unveiled on a hill overlooking the A1 at Gateshead in 1998 and has been named a British icon.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Today, 16:40
Why...

no idea why .

You need a bigger angel to cope with the enormous number of sinners. :rolleyes:

Brian

GaryPanic

Local time
it wuold need to be a whole lot bigger if it was for this ..lol

I feel as if its been done along the lines
"we cannot let those northerners have something better than us"

not a view I hold with at all

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
Its not going to be an angel is it - if it is thats just a massive monument to lack of ideas.
There are a few Turner prize winners in the short list - maybe a 50 m tall shit?

Although as this years turner prize winner was an exact copy of someone elses "work" , maybe it will turn out to be an angel of the south.

rsmonkey

Registered User.
Local time
hmmm there are a few 'sculptures' around where i live of various 'art' pieces but these look like the have been predominantly produced by the local comprehensive!

Ron_dK

Cool bop aficionado
Local time
Today, 17:40
Why...

no idea why .

I thought they only had slowworms in North Kent :confused:

Ksan

Flailling in the dark
Local time
I already thought the south had its 'Angel' equivalent in the Sails of the South (or whatever they're called) in the proximity of Portsmouth??

Kent is hardly south either in the wider scheme of things so instead it will be more like an 'Angel of the East' and eventually some bright spark will reach the same conclusion as me... And decide to commission further works to complete the compass! In doing so handing out a few more of these lucrative contracts to yet more talentless tosspots.

Paul Calf's catchphrase sums this one up nicely.

Tay

likes garlic
Local time
Erm, Kent is very much south...:confused:

Having spent most of my life in Kent, I can't really see why anyone feels the need to add another landmark to it.

The Angel of the North really is quite impressive though. I recall when I first saw images of the Angel on tv when it was erected and thought it was rather ugly, but different. Actually seeing it in real life, and in the setting that it's in gives a whole different impression. I now find it quite inspiring and stunning.

I really don't see how anyone could say that that part of Kent's landscape is fascinating or inspiring; it is foul, ugly and really should be submerged under a lot of water. The only good thing is that there are many habitats for birds.

R

Rich

Erm, Kent is very much south...:confused:

Having spent most of my life in Kent, I can't really see why anyone feels the need to add another landmark to it.

Probably because there aren't any landmarks there to start with:cool:

Tay

likes garlic
Local time
Castles, cathedrals, ancient churches and the white cliffs? But if you mean sculptures, then I can't recall any. There are better sites to add one too, though.

R

Rich

Castles, cathedrals, ancient churches and the white cliffs? But if you mean sculptures, then I can't recall any. There are better sites to add one too, though.

Well you can only see the cliffs from France and the country's full of the other stuff anyway:p

scott-atkinson

I'm with the Witch.......
Local time
How long do you think it will take before some Chav, graffiti's the top of the sculpture with the words.

"Gav woz ere!"

:)

Last edited:

Ron_dK

Cool bop aficionado
Local time
Today, 17:40
How long do you think it will take before some Chav, graffiti's the top of the sculpture with the words.

"Gav woz ere!"

:)

Not that long I assume :confused:;)

Attachments

• angelofnortheastwales.jpg
    angelofnortheastwales.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 135

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom