Another Survey-Related Question... (1 Viewer)

Colorado Spring

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:32
I think I read through most, if not all, posts related to surveys but didn't really get an answer to my question. Can someone tell me the best way to have users input survey responses? My survey will consist of approximately 60 questions (most being yes/no or a numberic value). I expect to have approximately 1,000 respondents but am not sure which format to use. Would I have a split db and simply email a link to the frontend? Would more than one respondent be able to work in the frontend at a time?

Suggestions GREATLY appreciated.

Thanx in advance :cool:
Karen

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Today, 09:32
A split database wouldn't make sense for this. I don't think I'd send out an access database for 60 questions (especially since they may not have Access). I would probably use an Excel workbook (most people have Excel) and then import the workbooks when returned.

I would create validation on the Excel cells that need Yes/No answers so that they could just type y or n and it would populate with Yes or No. And, for those with numeric you can also validate to make sure that they entered numeric and no alpha or special characters.

Colorado Spring

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:32
Thanx for the quick response, Bob. It actually came to me in Excel but they want responders to use Access so that there is no backend data importing required. If the db is split and the survey form set-up to go to a new record when opened, would that work, since each respondent would be working on their own record and nobody else would have it opened.

Thanx, Bob
Karen

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Today, 09:32
A couple of comments -

There will be backend importing required. There is no way to get around that, as each person will need a FULL version of the database. A front-end/back-end split means that the data is in the backend and the front-end has the forms, queries, reports, code, etc. If you don't have the back-end, you can't enter data. So, that wouldn't work for them.

You will need to import their data and then append to your main tables anyway, so Excel seemed a better idea. So, anyway, whichever way you go about it, it will still require importing of data. The ONLY ways to get around that would be to create a replica for each person that you want to respond (But, I'm not sure that would actually work as copying the database screws up the replication ids), or if you used Access 2007 and Outlook 2007 as it has a cool new feature where you can have an Access database and let Outlook create an email form to let users respond by filling in the form they receive in their email and then when it comes back to you Outlook contacts Access and it automatically puts it into the database.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom