Any hobby's or interest (other than Access) (1 Viewer)

ShaneMan

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:20
I have always wanted to do woodworking and for the past year I have been gathering tools and researching techniques, tips and etc., well this past weekend I got to work on my first really project and it was great. I loved every second of it. It was such a good distraction from my job and some of the pressures that are going on in life right now, so I though, for those who would like to take part in this, it might would be interesting to find out what other folks do to get their minds off of life and it's pressures.

Jacob Mathai

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:20
I collect toy cars (1/18 size). I like the 1950's US cars (big hunk of steel). I have over 120 cars now. Friends and relatives love to see my car collection. I am also interested in collecting cars seen in movies, like 63 Aston Martin (Gold Finger). My wife first thought it was a waste of money, but now she supports it. I paid anywhere from 10 dollars to 30 dollars for each car. It had been an enjoyable hobby for me.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Playing bass guitar and 6 string guitar.

I play bass in an orchestra, I currently have 4 basses - 2 are on ebay at the moment. My main ones are a Yamaha and a Peavey both 5 string. The Yamaha is an active and the Peavey is passive.

Also for fun I play a Fender Strat at home, playing Shadows music (a group like the Ventures)

The guitars all hang on the wall in our extension, I only have 4 spaces which is why I'm selling a couple.

That's a couple of good things to come out of the USA - The Ventures and the Fender Stratocaster.

Col

qailoh

not feeling witty atm
Local time
I build a lot of models, mobile suits and mecha, sci fi spacecraft, small scale aircraft, 1/35th armor and whatnot. Do some figure scratchbuilding too. Other than that it's read read read and the occasional movie. Replying in the hope that this thread won't go the usual route of the non-Access issues threads. ;)

R

Rich

I have always wanted to do woodworking and for the past year I have been gathering tools and researching techniques, tips and etc., well this past weekend I got to work on my first really project and it was great. I loved every second of it. It was such a good distraction from my job and some of the pressures that are going on in life right now, so I though, for those who would like to take part in this, it might would be interesting to find out what other folks do to get their minds off of life and it's pressures.

Would the workshop be of the normal American size and equiped with every possible power tool?:confused:;)

ShaneMan

Registered User.
Local time
Would the workshop be of the normal American size and equiped with every possible power tool?:confused:;)

Not yet but I'm working on it boss.:D We have a 4000 sq ft barn and I am using a portion of it for the woodshop part. It is becoming very appearent to me that having the "hobby" of woodworking is expensive. The tools, the lumbar and etc, all can have a hefty price tag on it but I guess when you do some comparisions maybe in falls in line with a number of other hobby's that folks get into. My parents are nuts about golf and it's nothing for them to spend hundreds of dollars on just one club.

"every possible power tool?" I really didn't know that was the normal way for "American" woodshops to go. If your goings to do woodworking there are certain power tools that would be considered staples but one of the cool things about working with wood is figuring out how to make what you do have, get the job done. That usual means building some type of jig that will work for the tool you do have.

R

Rich

Not yet but I'm working on it boss.:D We have a 4000 sq ft barn and I am using a portion of it for the woodshop part. It is becoming very appearent to me that having the "hobby" of woodworking is expensive. The tools, the lumbar and etc, all can have a hefty price tag on it but I guess when you do some comparisions maybe in falls in line with a number of other hobby's that folks get into. My parents are nuts about golf and it's nothing for them to spend hundreds of dollars on just one club.

"every possible power tool?" I really didn't know that was the normal way for "American" woodshops to go. If your goings to do woodworking there are certain power tools that would be considered staples but one of the cool things about working with wood is figuring out how to make what you do have, get the job done. That usual means building some type of jig that will work for the tool you do have.

You swine, we have to work in a space that there isn't enough room to swing a cat in:mad:;)

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
4000 sq ft? thats an aircraft hangar!

My back garden is 75ft long by 25ft wide, thats 1875 sq ft (for the whole garden)

Col

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Replying in the hope that this thread won't go the usual route of the non-Access issues threads. ;)

Only if an American goes off topic like you just did. Try not to derail the threads please.

Col

ShaneMan

Registered User.
Local time
You swine, we have to work in a space that there isn't enough room to swing a cat in:mad:;)

There is a pretty good explaination for this but it would take up too much room to write it. Yes, I am VERY fortunate to have this to work with. I was is Rockler, woodworking store, a few days ago and was talking with one of the sales reps there and he asked me about my set up and when I got the part of telling him how big my set up was he cocked his head sideways and stared at me for a little bit, while I keep talking, then he interrupted me and said, "YOU SUCK!" I died laughing.

ShaneMan

Registered User.
Local time
4000 sq ft? thats an aircraft hangar!

My back garden is 75ft long by 25ft wide, thats 1875 sq ft (for the whole garden)

Col

Well, if I wanted to get into gardening, that would be even a different story. We live on 11.5 acres, so I guess I could have a pretty good sized garden too.:eek:

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Well, if I wanted to get into gardening, that would be even a different story. We live on 11.5 acres, so I guess I could have a pretty good sized garden too.:eek:

Maybe we should continue this on another thread - I don't want to throw the topic on hobbies.

Col

ShaneMan

Registered User.
Local time
Gosh, that's a bit personal:eek: I'd have hit him.

Col

Probably has a way different meaning here. If I took the way your saying then there would be no doubt I would attempt to put him on his back pockets.

ShaneMan

Registered User.
Local time
Maybe we should continue this on another thread - I don't want to throw the topic on hobbies.

Col

Gardening is a hobby though, isn't it? I know lots of folks that talk about how much it relaxes them. My wife being one of them. If she had her way, she would be outside, planting something, digging something up, transplanting and etc.

ShaneMan

Registered User.
Local time
Playing bass guitar and 6 string guitar.

I play bass in an orchestra, I currently have 4 basses - 2 are on ebay at the moment. My main ones are a Yamaha and a Peavey both 5 string. The Yamaha is an active and the Peavey is passive.

Also for fun I play a Fender Strat at home, playing Shadows music (a group like the Ventures)

The guitars all hang on the wall in our extension, I only have 4 spaces which is why I'm selling a couple.

That's a couple of good things to come out of the USA - The Ventures and the Fender Stratocaster.

Col

Being able to do this is something I have always said I would like to do. I love music. Almost every style of music but I have said often that it would be so much fun to just be able to sit down with a good guitar and just pick. I love blues and rock-a-billy type music so to be able to pick that kind of music would be a dream. You play in an orchestra? Now how cool is that!

R

Rich

Gardening is a hobby though, isn't it? I know lots of folks that talk about how much it relaxes them. My wife being one of them. If she had her way, she would be outside, planting something, digging something up, transplanting and etc.

But 11acres is a farm, not a garden:mad::D

ShaneMan

Registered User.
Local time
But 11acres is a farm, not a garden:mad::D

It wouldn't be here (this part of the country). 11.5 acres wouldn't let you farm much of anything. We live on not quite 5 acres of it and the rest is pasture. We let our neighbor use the pasture for his horses and a few head of calves.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
That's why I went to Belgium in October last. It was a tour with the orchestra.

Gardening is one of my hobbies too. Compared to you we have a postage stamp garden, but we enjoy growing nice flowers and tomatoes in the summer. We have a little greenhouse, a shed (6ft x 4ft) with TV, carpet and a chair.

It's nice to sit and watch the bees and things in the warm sun - usually with a Martini and lemonade (no ice though)

I've got the motorbikes too, nice to get out on those.

I also play blues and jazz on the bass. I play along to BB King CD's

Col

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom