Any Home Scents Lover Here? (1 Viewer)

prabha_friend

Prabhakaran Karuppaih
Local time
Today, 22:47
Hi All. I am a Big fan of Home Scents... Especially having a Huge collection of Air Fresheners at Home. Some of those are even equipped with Automatic Air Sprayers with an auto-pressing time of just quarter of a second. You know... I want it strong thus I want the sprayer to give a 2 full continuous seconds of fragrance delivery. Is there such a product available in the Market? Please advise. Thanks for reading. Kindly provide your valuable replies. Thank You.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:17
Given the cost of automated fragrance devices and the cost of their refills, you MIGHT do better to have a nicely scented candle. My wife uses them all the time. Some of them are pretty good. Some are so intense that I have had to ban them.

Cotswold

Local time
Today, 18:17
I do wonder about the effects on health from pollution rather than solution caused by these devices. Which are after all simply pumping chemicals and a masking odour into the air in a room. It all seem a little like permanent vaping. In fact are we sure that any addictive content isn't included to maintain and increase sales levels? That these diffusers are sold as healthy or even therapeutic simply beggars belief.

Candles as well as open fire coal and wood-burners also distribute pollution into rooms. Anything that burns creates smoke pollution. It does seem odd to me that on the one hand we are so very concerned about how our health could be affected by traffic, smoking and other outside pollution. Yet at the same time there are many who are content to pay for polluting devices to use our their own living spaces every hour of the day.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:17
The air "fresheners" don't clean the air, they just cover up unpleasant odors and I agree with the others to me, they, themselves are indoor pollutants. I do have to confess to sometimes using pine or cinnamon candles at Christmas time though.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Fresh air. Windows open, get air through, try to get through air from window through house and up chimney. It clears odours like cooking, it freshens air, removes damp through breathing so is all round good. Snag is, living in the UK it's bloody freezing or blowing a gale.
Col

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Not so bad where I live now, but when I was a young'n, I lived about a block and a half from the Mississippi River and I can tell you that sometimes, particularly after a high-water event that flooded the batture, you didn't want to be downwind. Mold and mildew smells were prominent for at least a few weeks. Yes, we opened the front and back doors and hooked the screen doors to sleep at night. We had an attic fan that drew in air through the doors and out through the attic vent. But in the wrong seasons, there was no getting away from a fetid marsh smell.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Is it normal for Americans to have screen doors?isn't that like having two doors instead of one? You never see two doors in UK houses. What is a screen door for? Is it extra security? Do you have screen windows? Or just double doors.
Col

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Glad to answer, @ColinEssex - It actually brings back some good memories.

We lived fairly close to a marshy area - the Mississippi River batture (the area between the river levee and the river itself) where flood waters annually deposit alluvial soil from upriver. That makes the area marshy. That marshy area is where the mosquitoes and other little buzzing critters originated.

In areas where you have mosquitos in any abundance, a screen door is commonplace. Yes, it is EXACTLY like having two doors instead of one. You open the solid door but leave the screen door shut. That way you can get breezes through the house without inviting mosquitoes and flies and other flying insect beasties. A screen door would not stop a person intent on doing harm but a well-fitted screen door provides extra security from other kinds of creatures. Also stops stray cats and dogs and frogs.

Yes, we have window-screens as well. In fact, in my area, we potentially have three layers... the inner window with glass and whatever framework the window takes; then the screen over the glass window so you can raise the glass but keep the screen in place, then the storm shutters that cover the window and screen.

The only place we would not have screen doors in our area is if you lived in a yellow submarine. But you see screen doors in various homes in south Louisiana, the Mississippi (state) coast, the Alabama coast, and the Florida coast. I would presume them to be used in coastal Texas but I have never been to coastal Texas so won't make any assertions. I remember seeing screen doors and screened-in porches in central Alabama where my mother's family is still living, and that is about 150 miles north of the Gulf Coast. The wetlands associated with the Tuscaloosa River and the Tombigbee River provided the marshes for THEIR mosquitoes.

I mentioned that the alluvial deposits cause us to have marshy areas. The deposition occurs during the spring thaw of the northern part of the USA. The Mississippi river starts in Minnesota, in a place called Lake Itasca. Minnesota borders on Canada and gets heavy winter snowfall, so when their snow melts in spring, we get all the water in a surge. In fact, the Mississippi River drains 41% of the land in the USA. If it weren't for the levee system, we might have as much as 17 feet worth of spring floods. But it is those annual surges that deposit the soil on the river banks to build up the batture.

I remember as a kid during spring, summer, and fall that at night, when the house doors were open and the screen doors shut (before we got air conditioning), I could hear the ocean-going freight and tanker vessels going up and down the river. If the propellers could be heard "slapping" the water, we knew the boat was lightly loaded and thus riding high in the river. If it was more of a gutteral "thrum, thrum, thrum" sound, we knew the boat was riding lower and thus probably had a full load of cargo in it.

We lived upstream from the city, so we knew that a lot of the traffic we heard was due to the grain elevators and oil refineries that were built on the river banks between New Orleans and Baton Rouge. Beyond Baton Rouge, you would only be likely to hear barge traffic - totally different because of the barges being pushed by "tug boats" with smaller engines. Though the Mississippi River IS navigable much farther up its channel for shallow-draft barges, the deep-riding ocean freighters cannot go farther. They would "bottom out" in some of the twists and turns.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Thanks Doc, very interesting. Certainly more interesting than US politics that no-one understands.
In the UK, certainly where I live in the south, you will never see screen doors or windows. If you did have them you would probably be classed as weird. It's hard for us to imaging the amount of flying 'critters' you have, we may have mozzies around a river bank, annoying if you're having a picnic.
Most UK houses have a garden, ranging from postage stamp size to several acres. Our garden is large but not too big as we live in a town. The houses have big sliding doors to the garden called patio doors. On warm days, these are open all day as are windows. We may get the odd fly or wasp in the house, but they fly out on their own.
I imagine with screen doors- or two doors, it must be annoying if you have a couple of big bags of shopping - to grapple with the bags and try to unlock and hold open two doors must be a right pain. In films, screen doors appear spring loaded so I guess you have to wedge it open whilst trying to unlock the second door.
So what would happen if you didn't have screen doors or windows? Would you be infested with flying things?
Col

Cotswold

Local time
What a brilliant description from The Doc Man #8.

I can almost visualise the houses, the boats and the Mississippi. I probably know more about the Mississippi now, than anyone else in our village.
Then the river names, typically we have names like the River Avon or the River Ribble, Humber or Thames. Nothing like Tuscaloosa or Tombigbee! Then those places, levee and batture.
Over in England we've no idea what those are. There was a song, was it American Pie? With the line "drove our Chevy to the leveee". When that came out we're all asking, what the hells a levee. We all decided in the end it must be a pub. On the premise that, well where else would you go to in a car with your mates? Similar to when my father told me that when 'talkies' came out, everyone dashed to the cinema to find out what Americans sounded like!

In England we just don't get any real extremes, occasionally maybe but not annually. Mind you, as most of the TV news channels are in London then often most of the bad weather tends to be in London. It can be blowing roofs off in the North but that doesn't get a mention. However, it it blows a candle out on top of Big Ben, then extreme winds are affecting London and the South East, then they close the Dartford Crossing Bridge.

Hopefully this global warming is just a craze and will soon pass . Because the only time we see insects, apart from a few ants, is when we go abroad. In England we don't cope well with insects.

Last edited:

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
The first time I heard 'screen door' was in that Joni Mitchell song 'Big Yellow Taxi', she says 'I heard the screen door slam'. I thought it was something to do with a cinema screen.
Cotswold, in American Pie we didn't know for sure what a Chevvy was, so levee was a total mystery. Not too many Chevvy's in Bristol, or levees for that matter.
I remember last summer we did have a wasp in the house, big thing, like a zeppelin buzzing round. No match for a rolled up Daily Mirror though.
Col

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Cotswold, you were fascinated by the names. A lot of the river names derive from the Choctaw language of native Americans. Choctaw tribes were all over south Texas, south Louisiana, and south Mississippi (the state). I think there were a few in south Alabama. Farther east than that, you would see the Seminole families of native Americans.

We have some colorful names, but we of course had to compound those names by the fact that there were no written native American languages, so tones of our local names are either a translation or a transliteration of the Choctaw names into French. "Tuscaloosa" and "Tombigbee" are Choctaw words for "black warrior" and "coffin maker" respectively. In fact, there is also a Black Warrior River near the city of Tuscaloosa in central Alabama. The name "Mississippi" means either "father of waters" or "gathering of waters" - the latter indicating that the Choctaw families knew about the many tributaries upstream from Baton Rouge.

Speaking of Baton Rouge - French for "red stick" ... that name came from the red stick erected on the banks of the Mississippi river about where the current city of Baton Rouge is located. That red stick - in Choctaw, "istrouma" - marked the capitol of the Choctaw nation. We have a lot of Choctaw words as place names here. Bogue Chitto is a nearby state park and waterway. The name means "big creek." We have the name of one of the old Choctaw families immortalized (in transliterated French) - Tchopitoulas, one of the older streets of the city. It is Choctaw for "those who live by the river."

For those who don't understand "levee" - it is a dike (some nations call it a berm) built as a defense against flooding. They are typically about 20 feet above ground level in our area and maybe 50 to 75 feet wide, in an asymmetric pyramid shape, flattened at the top so a Levee District patrol officer can drive there looking for folks up to no good.

Cotswold - if you remember, the song lyric was "drove my Chevy to the levee but the levee was dry" - meaning probably a low-water time. The next part was "good old boys were drinkin' whiskey and rye" - because in rural areas near small towns and villages, it was a place for teenagers with cars to hang out, like a lover's lane area.

Col - with the advent of air conditioning as being far more readily available, screen doors fell out of style because they were needed less often. We do have patio doors on some houses. The place I lived before I got married had a small fenced-in back yard and a roofed patio with ... you guessed it, patio doors. Had a built-in gas outdoor grill, which kept the house cooler if I grilled all the meats outside. Which I frequently did.

NG, although I can't prove it because there is a gap in the records, I was told that I was a distant (VEEEERRRY distant) cousin of Mark Twain, who was born as Samuel Longhorne Clemens. My mother's mother's father's mother was a Clemens, but the Ancestry.COM records depend on things that weren't always available in deeply rural Alabama in the 1800s. A lot of the records are from church birth listings, but sometimes the old churches fall into disrepair and the records get lost - so there are some gaps here and there in their records. I don't know if I can write as well as Mark Twain, but don't forget that I AM an amateur writer.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Bobby Gentry did a hit song called 'Ode to Billy Joe', in it she mentions Choctaw and a bridge - Tallahatchi - or similar. Is that near you? Also Garth Brooks did a song called 'Calling Baton Rouge' . I never did know what Choctaw was, thanks for the explanation.
Col

Cotswold

Local time
Thank you so much The Doc Man for taking the time to explain that detail, quite fascinating. Over here there are some names here with claimed pre-roman names and a few derived from Roman names. Many have place names that originated from the Saxons, Danes Swedes and Norwegians. All commonly grouped under the Viking name. Viking basically means pirate and which of course is what they were. Stealing and plundering not just across Britain, but over Europe, Russia and the Mediterranean. A pastime and hobby that was repeated together with the rest of Europe in tow in America. One theory is that the Vikings did actually reach Nova Scotia maybe over 1,000 years before Columbus never actually set foot on the North American mainland.
Viking names tend to be found in the North with Saxon in the South. Of course the arrival in 1066 of William of Normandy merged some French into the English language. Although they'd have been happy enough with some of the names as the Normans were Vikings a couple of generations back who had their own variation of French. The names tend to be somewhat boring when compared to those from the Choctaw Nation.

Little doubt that you are related to Mark Twain via the Clemens connection. Talent skips generations and pops up unexpectedly, which is clearly the case with you. Although a great pity that your earlier records are lost. That must be really frustrating.
I've managed to take my line and my mother's line back to the late 1500s. But only by some good luck and chance. My line went to the same church for over 250 years, making it fairly easy. After that when they started moving about, national records took over in the early to mid 1800s. My mother's line was not so easy until I found the village they originated from. Fortunately I discovered a source for church records that had been transferred into a PDF, so I could import it all into an Access database. Making searches and filtering for name variations a lot easier.

Only problem was that the various ministers had their own idea of spelling their name. One was baptised with the name starting OLD but married with it starting OBE. All in all there were seven variations of the spelling of their last name. Little wonder I had problems on Ancestry and Find My Past until I found the church records. Of course back then only the church minister and few others could read and write. So even if they looked at the written entry, or a certificate when they got married they wouldn't have a clue if it was right or wrong. Many on either side of my family couldn't read or write until the mid 1800s from what I can see. So the spelling of their name was all down to the Reverend's interpretation of their accent and how he thought it should be spelt. Of course regional accents were much stronger then than they are today, as there was little if any outside influence. So easy to misunderstand what was said. It's all good fun!

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
A good memory, Col - and Tallahatchie is Choctaw for "rock river" - because it originates from a rocky source near some iron deposits. That river is a minor indirect tributary to the Mississippi River (via the Yazoo River) and is found in the state of Mississippi in its northwestern section.

thanks for the explanation.

Not a problem at all. Always happy to participate in respectful discussion.
Only problem was that the various ministers had their own idea of spelling their name.

Funny you should mention that. Ancestry.COM had trouble with my mother's family name, Hassell, which comes from Ireland I believe. BUT the U.S. Census that gets taken every 10 years was, for a long time, hand-written on essentially a spreadsheet. Computerized census information didn't start until 1950. So when I look at the photocopies of the 19th-century census forms (provided online by Ancestry.COM) I see variations in names with the number of S's or L's - and in one case, the census-taker's cursive writing was so extreme that the later transference from the raw census form had the name as HaRRell. But only until the next census came along with a different person who had better handwriting.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Screen doors are present on many New England homes also. When I was growing up, they were always on both the front and back doors but with the advent of central air, some people don't have them on their front doors any more. They are very useful in Connecticut because we have months of moderate weather in the spring and the fall where you don't use either the heat or the AC. The doors keep small children and pets from wandering while letting the fresh air blow through the house. And they also keep the bugs out at dusk when the mosquitoes and moths swarm. We also have screens on our windows for the same reason. When I was growing up, we actually had separate screen doors and storm doors which were similar but filled with glass rather than screens. My dad used to swap them every spring. Take the storm windows/doors off and replace them with the screen for the windows and doors around the middle of April. Today, the two are combined. Most of the doors have the top window slide down and leave a screen in its place. For the windows, we slide the storm window up in the spring and leave just the screen.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Why do you have a 'storm door'? We've established with Doc that Americans have two doors - a normal front door and a screen door. Is the normal front door not capable of withstanding a storm? I can't quite see the necessity of changing a door when presumably you have an adequate one anyway.
Also as an aside, do most American homes have air conditioning?
Col

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
The outer door is called a storm door, at least in the parts of the country that have winter because it is extra protection against storms.

Also as an aside, do most American homes have air conditioning?
Depends where you live. Pretty much anywhere in the bottom tier of states, houses and apartments will have AC. It may be central (built in and delivered via internal ductwork shared with the heating system) or it might be window units.

My house in Nashville (middle tier of states) had central AC and a heat pump for heat that used shared ductwork. In Connecticut (northern tier), my old house had natural gas fired hot water baseboard heat and we used window AC units in the bedrooms during the summer. For the downstairs rooms, we just kept the windows and doors open a lot and use fans to move the air around. The house I grew up in had the same type of heat but we didn't have the luxury of AC anywhere. Currently, I live in a condo (similar to a terrace) with attached units and it has central air and gas fired hot air for heat so the AC and heat share the same ductwork. I strongly prefer the hot-water baseboard heat I grew up with and live with for 40 years in my old house but it is cheaper if you are going to add AC to use hot air instead of hot water so you can share the ductwork). Typical summer temp in CT is 85-95 with several spikes over 100 during the summer that might last for a week at a time. I was surprised when I lived in Miami that the summer temp was pretty steady in the high eighties. We lived within a mile of the ocean so we had a constant on-shore breeze which moderated the temperature. Pretty much everything was air conditioned and everytime my husband left a building, his glasses fogged over due to the humidity.

Even in CT we have a coastal and an inland climate. I live on the coast now. It is warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer and we have a lot less snow than we had inland where I grew up. My condo is less than 2 miles from my old house and the climate is different. I'm on the river now so it is more humid and breezier.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Thanks Pat, very interesting although I didn't understand what some things are!
For example 'condo' - never heard of it, is it a house? In the UK, a terrace is a row of houses joined together each one is called a terraced house- is that a condo?
Also, I still don't get the storm door. It seems a bit over the top to have two doors, why not have a better quality 1st door than can serve its purpose? I understand the need for a screen door, especially in the south because of mozzies and flying things. They always look pretty flimsy though in films or on TV.
Then the shared pipework or ducts for heating and aircon, shared with who? Another house? Say your house is not attached to another, how does the ducting work? Who pays for the heat or aircon? Then, if the heat and aircon share the same duct, what if a neighbour wants the aircon on and you wanted heat, who wins? Sorry to be a pain but I find it interesting.
Col

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom