Any Home Scents Lover Here? (1 Viewer)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:18
OK, let's pull out the dictionary. A 'condo' is short for condominium, which is a type of residence built by and maintained by a property developer.

If you have an apartment you generally share one large building, often multi-story, with multiple tenants. Each tenant has several rooms laid out for them, like a kitchen, bathroom, one or two bedrooms, and some unspecified room that could be a den, a dining room, or, for smaller apartments, there is no extra room. There is usually a building superintendent who performs maintenance on the rented facilities. Parking is in a garage that is part of the building, or you park on the street, or you don't park because there is no room for a car so you take the bus or subway. It is possible that the tenants own nothing, particularly if the apartment was pre-furnished. The landlord usually pays utilities and property taxes and will pro-rate that so that each tenant owes some fraction of that particular upkeep.

At the other end of the scale, you buy property with a house on it and you share that with no one. You are responsible for your own maintenance, you own the land, you own the house. You can have a driveway for off-street parking. Depending on many factors, it could be a small house or a huge mansion. You furnish it yourself. You pay property taxes and utilities.

In between those two, you have the condo, which is usually a relatively small house on a small lot in a row of identically built small houses. You often have a private driveway and a small garage - 1-car most often. There is often a postage stamp sized piece of turf that is generously referred to as a "back yard" where you might have room for a small outdoor party. The condo usually includes a maintenance contract that the developer manages. The owner of a condo home DOES NOT usually own the land, but rather there is joint ownership among all residents. (Hence the name: con dominium, Latin for "shared control")

On storm doors and windows:

People who live in places subject to seasonally intense weather will have storm doors and/or storm shutters. In nicer weather the residents want to let the air in to circulate through the house and take away stuffy odors. You are right, by the way... a screen door usually IS quite flimsy. On the other hand, we are rarely attacked by commando squadrons of mosquitoes so a screen door is a case of "right-sized item for the job it must do."

On "shared ductwork":

As to central heat and air, the ductwork is shared by the (usually separate) heating and cooling system in a single home. They share the vents in each room. In private homes, no neighbors share your heat and A/C ducts. No bets on duct sharing in apartments. However, even in the simple case, there might be non-uniformity. After her knee surgery with complications in the form of a severe infection, my dear wife's internal thermostat has gone bonkers. Figuring out how to set the temperature in the upstairs and downstairs areas can be ... contentious. Her knee has healed perfectly well but her thermostat has not. She and I always have to negotiate temperature settings.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 21:18
Thanks Doc. As a Brit, there are lots I still don't understand, but I'm aware of most posters here being American find this subject boring, it's much more fun for them to slag off US politicians weve never heard of, so I'll just accept Americans do things differently to the British. But it was a nice interlude to continual US politics.
Just one thing, after I posted, I remembered I had heard the name 'condo', it was said by JR Ewing in Dallas, he said he was going to the condo. I thought it was a make of car.
Col

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 13:18
Thanks Doc. As a Brit, there are lots I still don't understand, but I'm aware of most posters here being American find this subject boring, it's much more fun for them to slag off US politicians weve never heard of, so I'll just accept Americans do things differently to the British. But it was a nice interlude to continual US politics.
Just one thing, after I posted, I remembered I had heard the name 'condo', it was said by JR Ewing in Dallas, he said he was going to the condo. I thought it was a make of car.
Col

A condo can serve another very important function. A way to own your own home at usually a lot less than a detached home in a similar area. Here I'm thinking about areas like Phoenix where I live, not necessarily beach side or oceanside type areas in which case it might be just as expensive as a home ( I'm not really sure).

In the city where I live a decent size three- bedroom, two-bath with an office/den home, 1800 sf, is now around $500,000--600,000. That is unaffordable for any young person starting out, but a condo offers an alternative it gives them just as much DIGNITY entering the "homeowners club" so to speak. But can be had for quite a bit less than that and is essentially similar to buying an apartment.

I'm advising my son if he wants to continue living in the area after graduating with his robotics engineering degree he should start out buying a condo right away rather than throwing money towards an apartment complex

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
I love the concept of a screen door and wish I had one on my current home. There is another big benefit and it's my favorite one. You can open the MAIN door and talk to (whatever stranger is at your front entrance) and you can talk to them through a LOCKED METAL screen door, in total safety. It's a huge benefit for wife and kids.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 21:18
I love the concept of a screen door and wish I had one on my current home. There is another big benefit and it's my favorite one. You can open the MAIN door and talk to (whatever stranger is at your front entrance) and you can talk to them through a LOCKED METAL screen door, in total safety. It's a huge benefit for wife and kids.
I would imagine that is very important in America. I guess its bullet proof too.
Col

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:18
There is a technical legal benefit to a screen door. You can talk to a police officer through the door even if you open the main door. As long as the screen door is still latched, you have not invited them into your home, yet you can communicate. However, given that most metal screen doors are made of aluminum, which is a relatively soft metal, a dedicated robber or other assailant can still break through quite easily. Bullet-proof? Not a chance in Hell, unless it is "Nerf bullets."

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
I would imagine that is very important in America. I guess its bullet proof too.
Col
Not quite but the screen doors I'm thinking of are made of a very strong metal. Not mesh

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Col
Hey, at least we're not yet to the point where all windows are covered with bars like south of us. Democrats are trying hard though. Shouldn't be long!

prabha_friend

Prabhakaran Karuppaih
Local time
Tomorrow, 01:48
The solution is to create a controlled "Plug-in Air Freshener". Will do?

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Would a burglar be distracted enough by the pleasant scent to deter them ??

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom