Any issues with 64bit front end using 32bit back end? (1 Viewer)

jacko6

Local time
Today, 16:09
I'm in the process of converting a 32bit accdb front end to 64bit accdb. In my dev environment the backend (mdb) was copied from a 32bit environment and I haven't done anything to convert it to 64bit (such as save-as). So far I haven't encountered any issues with the 64bit front end interacting with the 32 bit back end.

The reason I'm asking is that in my production environment I'd rather not convert the backend (hosted on a server) to 64bit as I have other 32bit apps interacting with it.

Are there any known issues (inc performance) with this configuration or does Access not know the difference if the backend mdb only contains tables?

Thanks.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:09
I have the impression that only API code or ActiveX objects need to or can be converted to 64-bit. If you're not using any of those, there's really no need to do any conversion to 64-bit. How exactly are you converting your 32-bit FE into 64-bit FE?

Last edited:

jacko6

Local time
Today, 16:09
That's not the question I'm asking, but to answer yours... I'm converting 32bit APIs to 64bit APIs plus updating 3rd party ActiveX components to 64bit versions.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:09
That's not the question I'm asking, but to answer yours... I'm converting 32bit APIs to 64bit APIs plus updating 3rd party ActiveX components to 64bit versions.
Hi. Thanks for the clarification. I guess my roundabout way of answering your question was that there shouldn't be any concerns because 64-bitness doesn't care about data.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom