Anyone finding it financially tough this xmas? (1 Viewer)

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 22:22
There are plenty of other forums on the internet that allow and even encourage this behavior. Why would we need to do that on a professional forum regarding access coding?

You encourage this behavior everyday by running interference for a few malcontents.

AnthonyGerrard

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:22
Like this entirely unprovoked diversion from the topic?

That is one of the types of post responsible yes, I already admitted it.

I wont point out other responsible posts, or body of work by other posters, cos the only solution to the malaise of these forums is for all posters to take responsbility for how and what they post and moderate themselves.

Or have a gentle reminder of their posts impact through post votes/rating!

Have a lovely Christmas!

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Today, 01:22
You encourage this behavior everyday by running interference for a few malcontents.

So, you are implying that a ruleless forum would have less of this? That certainly didn't prove true 5-6 years ago.

Still, it's a professional forum that's part of a business to the owner. Unless he says otherwise, we try to keep it at least business casual around here. I think we are more lenient here than other forums out there with similar topics. I like to keep it that way.

Hell, half of the stuff in the joke thread wouldn't even be allowed on other forums. :D

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
Like this entirely unprovoked diversion from the topic?

Do you now finally understand the point that is being made?

It has nothing to do with the merits of the atheist or theist viewpoint. No theist point of view has ever been put forward to counter in this thread yet countered they were.

It has to do with the acknowledgement of one's own role in causing the repetitive nature of these boards.

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
Do you now finally understand the point that is being made?

It has to do with the acknowledgement of one's own role in causing the repetitive nature of these boards.
The word you're looking for is "human nature" there will always be differences of opinion between two people, if that was the only number left on the planet,oh and happy holidays by the way;)

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:22
The problem arises when some people think disagreeing is an insult. Some go so far as insisting those who disagree should be killed. Other wouldn't go as far as committing murder but eagerly await the eternally imminent intervention of their heroic figurehead who will precipitate the slaughter for them.

pono1

Registered User.
Local time
I completely disagree with everyone.

Back on topic: Is a disparity of wealth undesirable? Is it true that "money is like muck, not good except it be spread."

Side note: Wonder what I'll get for Christmas...

Last edited:

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time

I can't make any sense of this post, but I do know that vass does a good job of con tolling the content and manners of this forum whilst displaying a deft touch.

Brian

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
I can't make any sense of this post, but I do know that vass does a good job of con tolling the content and manners of this forum whilst displaying a deft touch.

Brian

I am a bit critical of Vassago’s style of moderating. I do acknowledge however it’s a tough job wrangling in this rowdy crew. In the end he tends to dish it right back in my face, so I have to tip my hat to him.:D

Last edited:

Adam Caramon

Local time

Agreed. Choosing to debate with someone shows you have at least some amount fo respect for them. If someone posts something simply to incite and enrage others, it makes more sense to completely ignore them. By engaging in debate with them, you lend some credence to their hate, and help to further it along.

That's why there are certain posters that I don't ever respond to - just a waste of time.

As far as reviving the forums, both religion and politics are great topics to talk about. Everyone has an opinion on them. The key is to keep it civil. Disagree with someone, explain why you think they're wrong / you're right, without resulting to insults.

Lastly, being that this is a UK forum, it would be interesting to see more topics on things specific to the UK. I've been able to learn some interesting facts by reading the dialog between various UKers, but unfortunately, it often devolves into anti-US sentiment, which detracts from the value of the conversation.

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
I can’t imagine why anyone would advocate uncensored posting on this forum. This forum exist to disseminate Ms Access knowledge.

These arguing threads are a coffee break from that, and in a public coffee shop at that. If we were in a real coffee shop and acted in a manor not conducive to the shop’s business interests, we would be asked to leave.

This forum exists at the pleasure of those that pay for it.

And all of us have benefitted.

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
They say there are big problems with money this year. Kids want expensive things, food more expensive, etc. etc.

Anyone noticed that? I haven't. We've just spent hundreds on our garden having it revamped ready for springtime. Bought a couple of guitars, spent a few thou on booking a holiday for springtime, thinking about a new car - need to shift some cash. I can't see what people fuss about, I think it's all exaggerated.

Went to town yesterday, awful experience, all those ordinary common people rushing round, yuk. Went to a posh hotel here for coffee - lovely china cups and silver coffee and cream pots, much better class of people than Starbucks or Costa.

Col

Really Col?

AnthonyGerrard

Registered User.
Local time
They say there are big problems with money this year. Kids want expensive things, food more expensive, etc. etc.

Anyone noticed that? I haven't. We've just spent hundreds on our garden having it revamped ready for springtime. Bought a couple of guitars, spent a few thou on booking a holiday for springtime, thinking about a new car - need to shift some cash. I can't see what people fuss about, I think it's all exaggerated.

Went to town yesterday, awful experience, all those ordinary common people rushing round, yuk. Went to a posh hotel here for coffee - lovely china cups and silver coffee and cream pots, much better class of people than Starbucks or Costa.

Col

Col what town was this - I had a quick look at Colchester - and a few nice old pubs, a best western, a premier inn and a couple of 3 stars was what I found?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom