apprehensive about my next step - distribution (1 Viewer)

fratezone

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:16
I have finally completed my application and miraculously I also have a customer lined up to purchase a copy.

The situation is as follows: eventhough I stressed this was designed as a standalone, he wants a second "user" to gain access to the data - viewing only (which I can do).

Compiling a single database on a standalone, I have done several times just to get familiar and ready for this very day. But I am not sure how to go about compiling and seting up a database that has a "back end" on the server and the front end on another pc from the same server. Do I split the database before I run setup or after? or do I copy it onto the server then MDE, disable properties, etc ...?

I am more concerned with loosing the link if I split the db. If the setup keeps the links intact, then I think I should not run into any problems, right?

I'm a bit at a loss and any help would be much appreciated.

ANOTHER THING:

I tried to do a sample install on one of my machines and I got an error saying that the DAO350.DLL file is older than the version I am trying to install. .... and doesn't give me the chance to override it with the new one. Why is that?

Thanks and happy holidays to everyone.

edtab

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:16
You should run instal first, split your database, then make the front end an mde. Alternatively, you can make an mde first then split the mde second.

The splitting part is relatively painless as this is handled by a wizard in Access. I have split a number of databases and have not come across any problems such as losing connection to the back end db. (Never heard of this) . Even if you lose your connection, you could still re-connect via the "Get External Data, Link" process.

If you have multiple users connecting to the back end, you will have to "copy" the front end to each user PC, delete all existing connections, if any, then reconnect through the "link" process I mentioned above.

edtab

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom