Are you a Volunteer? How do you help make a better world? (1 Viewer)

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Today, 04:29
A group of very wonderful people on this site are very helpful. They are to be recognized and commended for the great time and effort they contribute.

The question to the group is: How many of you are volunteers? Meaning that you find time to support causes, people, groups for no personal gain?

What is your favorite volunteer group?
It might be preserving historical artifacts, youth sports, assistance for hunger, animal shelter, the environment, ...

Please share your thoughts

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Today, 04:29
I serve as an aerospace training officer for a non-profit youth program. The services provide moral leadership and search-and-rescue with an emphasis on aerospace. Ages 12 to 18, the majority of them receive education and training to complete pilot experience for six glider flights and six powered flight. In addition, they often are able to experience riding in a C-130 to watch training for dropping supplies for humanitarian efforts.
My specialty is Large Dangerous Rockets Systems with instrumentation and video. These can range from six to eight foot tall. Full telemetry, on-board instrumentation, and video. Flights from 10,000 ft to 30,000 ft.
The students learn rocket modeling, build the components, even solder the wires, and take part in supervised launches.
Youth also assist with the Wings Over The Rockies Museum - Open Cockpit days.

I am nothing special. It is just a way to share what I enjoy doing.

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
Today, 03:29
That is excellent!
I do not do any structured volunteer work but I do assist with local youth in their quest to maintain their own off road vehicles safely. Originally they had no mechanical clue and a lot of them were spending a lot of time in the bush walking out. Got tired of having to participate in search and rescue (or occasionally vehicle recovery) because of mechanical failures so it is best to educate how to properly maintain and repair the vehicle.

Lightwave

Ad astra
Local time
Today, 11:29
I help out at athletics events for a local bike club. Which has involved organising races mainly at local level but once at European level. These races are open to all people and mainly are for multi-sport often specifically Triathlon. I don't do as much as I used to but will generally help out at two or more races a year. It's not quite the same as RX but I still think it is a contribution. Profits are returned to the the sports club.

I also helped out at a local church 3 weeks ago. They needed new gravel spread and a hedge cut back. There were about 8 working together and the church is used as a community facility as well as a religious establishment.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
I only volunteer if there is something in it for me.

Col

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
SUpporting a community center is good for everyone.
Our local Catholic church had the local grade school donated to them many years ago, which has been leased back to the county and converted into the local community center as well as the firehall to house the volunteer fire department pumper and tanker trucks. We have taken our turn with others painting the walls, inside and out. We also either attend or just buy tickets to events to support the center.

I also helped out at a local church 3 weeks ago. They needed new gravel spread and a hedge cut back. There were about 8 working together and the church is used as a community facility as well as a religious establishment.

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Today, 06:29
I participate in charity walks and runs. Not only do I get some needed exercise, but I get to do it for a good cause.

I've also volunteered at animal shelters. I'm thinking about joining the volunteer firefighters.

binbin

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 18:29
I usually volunteer at a local senior citizens center.

mpicco-RCS

Local time
I provide computer help to a local homeless resource center and expect nothing in return. What I receive, however, is the gratitude of the many (homeless clients and staff) that use the computers. This has been very gratifying.

As a ham radio operator, I also volunteer to provide communications to various local group events in my area. During fire season, I assist my local radio club to provide backup communications to CalFire on large fires.

Global_Access

Local time
I have a page on facebook and helps people who have very very low incomes find section 8 housing vouchers.

Support the local arts by attending events.

Developed a software application for schools and facilities that service adults and children with developmental disabilities and away the software for free.

Mentor some junior IT people with career advice and leadership.

texarun

Local time
Today, 15:59
I volunteer in providing career guidance to people in need.

tangleweave

Local time
I volunteered to help out in a local charity shop. One year on, I became the (paid) deputy manager. You never know what's around the corner!

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Today, 06:29
Some friends and I are looking into helping with a Habitat for Humanity house.

GaryPanic

Smoke me a Kipper,Skipper
Local time
I help budding festival organisers -musicans who want to set up festivals point them in the right way with risk assesements and who and how to get the local authorities on board ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom