Auto-reply to posts - suggestions please (1 Viewer)

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:49
I have a new plugin that lets you auto-reply to posts based on keywords. It would be great if members here could chip in with possible suggestions on what keywords trigger what auto-replies.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
what do you mean by auto-reply?

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Say someone said this as a post: "Hey, does anyone know about a good Microsoft Access Forms FAQ?" If you had "Forms FAQ" in the backend as a keyword, you could auto-reply with:

This is a great place to get your Form questions answered: link to forms forum.

The most common Form questions can be found here: another link somewhere.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
OK, so why do 'we' need to auto reply? Why not just the forum 'AI'.

It seems more like a function to augment 'similar threads' - which the user doesn't see (and often doesn't because it is below bottom of screen) until they post their new thread. i.e. a popup or similar when user creates a thread title.

Just an alternative suggestion - rather than posting an auto reply, it sends a message and link to whoever has expressed an expertise on a particular subject advising a new thread has start on the subject.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I mean the software will auto-reply.

There is no facility to do what you suggested.

Edit: Similar threads just does that, similar threads. An auto-reply can be anything you want. It could even be a FAQ itself.

neuroman9999

Local time
Today, 03:49
I mean the software will auto-reply.
ummmm JON, I think this is a horrible idea! Don't you think people are sick of automation? Don't you think that someone who comes here for help would want a human-based reply instead of one that is automated? Have you seen the majority of posts from question askers? More often than not, a professional replies and says something like ""can you please clarify THIS or THAT""??

So....given that reality, I think it's obviously that some folks here are not sure about what they're asking, but rather fishing for information in the attempt to learn this program, or for that matter, the requirement(s) that they have been given. There is no way that AI of anykind is going to fix that.

But....why do you want to do this anyway? Have some people here complained that the site is getting so much traffic, that all questions are NOT being answered? Everytime I've scrolled this site, there is almost nothing that has gone unanswered. and that has been the trend from what I've seen for the last 10 years or more (over the 5 or more times I've reappeared)

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Its handy for moderator warnings.

neuroman9999

Local time
Its handy for moderator warnings.
oh well I didn't know you were talking about that. So what you're talking about is someone who technically breaks the forum rules without knowing it right? I've seen on a lot of other boards those folks already have that set up and have for a long time now

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
There are some creative ways to use the tool, but its kept under wraps for now. Everything seems to be done by bot nowadays so I am jumping on the bandwaggon. :D

neuroman9999

Local time
There are some creative ways to use the tool, but its kept under wraps for now. Everything seems to be done by bot nowadays so I am jumping on the bandwaggon. :D
yeah I realize that John and it's a very pathetic and that sad thing. But you know on a more positive note considering that all of the third world countries have not been forced to adopt capitalism by the United States as idiocy, the robot adoption in every industry has to come to pass otherwise there would be no way that human beings could keep up with all the demand of buyers and questions and consumerism and everything else. So in this man's opinion you're on the right track good for you :) 😁

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I enjoy a good word salad as much as anybody.

neuroman9999

Local time
I enjoy a good word salad as much as anybody.
I don't think I follow you John but let me just say this whenever I encounter a robot on a credit card website, this is the first question I ask it:

""What is the hash output of the value ''478fejide'' when it is put into the sha1 function??""

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
That's just the salad dressing.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 01:49
Hmm. One idea might be to scour the content of the Code Repository. In some container somewhere, assign each C.R. article with a few tags/keywords that really define its main gist. Then pickup new posts with those keywords and possibly reference the attached C.R. article(s).
To be totally honest, I'm unsure what is the quality, volume and modernness of the C.R., it's something I haven't looked at much on any site including AWF, but many users swear by it and enjoy trying out other peoples' code.

One thing I've noticed is how many posters would benefit from simply looking their methods, properties, events, and objects up in Microsoft documentation. Though I'm unsure whether generating any message or emphasis on that would actually benefit the forum. This may be in the same category as my opinions on the 'Solved' feature.... Convenience and feel good vs. actually improving the development maturity of developers. I guess you can't always achieve both.

Slightly petty question: Does the software have spell check? There are a few posters whose spelling is so bad that I wonder if they were sober when they posted - I mean tou thu poynt ware iz hrd too red. And I'm not referring to language barrier situations.
Most browsers do these days but some don't notice or maybe have it turned off.. I guess this may seem petty until you look at its impact on algorithms, keywords & traffic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom