Basic DB Design principles for designing new staff/hr database (1 Viewer)

whitespace

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 19:54
Hello all,

I'm an expereinced data analyst that's looking at developing a database to record all our staff/posts/post history/assets etc. We already have an old Access DB but it's such a mess - anyway I've been drawing up some table and relationship plans and would just like to ask (I'm sure) a basic question:

I have drawn up obvious tables e.g. Employee, Post, PostHistory, Asset and understand the relationships I need to make e.g. 1 Employee to many PostHistory and 1 Post to many PostHistory; 1 Employee to many Asset - etc. (As it's possible for one employee to have/have had many posts and it is possible for one post to belong to many staff)

Anyway - in creating the Employee table I have a lot of columns say regarding the contact details (tel no. fac no. email, etc.) - is it generally adviseable to put these in a seperate table?? If so what sort of link would it be. The reason is I can;t help thinking they aren't directly linked to Employee details but then in a way they are - as there's only 1 set of contact details per employee?

Sorry to go on.. Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Jenny

KenHigg

Local time
Yesterday, 22:54
The first thing you should do is make a list of everything you want the databse to do from a business perspective. Be careful not to put 'nice' to have things in the list. The list should look something like:

- Record current employee information
- Employee information is:
1. Name
2. Address
3. City
4. Current job
5. Current job start date
6. Previous jobs
7. Previous job start and end dates

- Maintain this same information on employees no longer with the company
- Have a current list of possible positions with information like pay, division, etc

etc, etc

Then after you have a very well defined set of minimum requirements you can have a 'nice to have' list of items like maybe where the employee used to work, a way to track performance reviews, etc.

Hope all of this makes sense. The point being if you don't get this first part nailed down before you even create a .mdb then chances are you'll put in a lot of work creating stuff only have to go back and do a lot of rework because you didn't think of something earlier...

whitespace

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks a lot Ken. I've just had a meeting and it looks like it might be a lot more complex than I initially thought. We need to keep track of honorariums, secondments, employee history (for previous grades/scale points), post history (who was assigned previously to posts) blah blah!

Are there any access mdb templates that anyone knows of that are a sort of standard staff/employee database to work with? I've looked on the microsoft site but not found any - I thought this would be quite a standard and commonly needed database?

Many thanks for any help.

Jenny

Banana

split with a cherry atop.
Local time
If you go to Microsoft's site and search for templates, they should have a few.

Another suggestion, after have had a look at those templates is to get yourself a whiteboard, a pile of sticky notes then try to diagram the relationship with "actual data" on the post notes.

KenHigg

Local time
Yesterday, 22:54
I'm sure there are some real simple ones out there like in Northwinds but I wouldn't count on be able to leverage much of it for your use. I think the key is to get your long term table model correct. Then you can develop it in small chunks and add in features over time...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom