Bypass Access Message Box - Not In List (1 Viewer)

Robecca

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:06
I have a combo box and a form on the List Items Edit Form property. When an item is entered that is not in the table, Access has a message box "The text you entered isn't an item in the list."

I would like to bypass this message box from Access and just have my form listed in the List Items Edit Form property to open.

I thought all I had to do was put code or a macro on the On Not In List event property and that would bypass the Access message box. However, my form does open but when I click close on the form, and then tab out of the field that was edited, I get the Access message box and I am in a loop.

What am I doing wrong?

spikepl

Eledittingent Beliped
Local time
Today, 12:06
You need to read the documentation for the not in list event.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:06
its the "limit to list" property, as well. if it is set to "limit to list", then it rejects any entry not in the list (as you can see)

if you want to allow new items, then make that false - and then use the "not in list" event to ask the user whether the new item needs adding.

the trouble is that users will fill your list with any old junk, if you are not careful.

Robecca

Registered User.
Local time
@ spikepl - I have been trying to find documentation with no luck, when I try googling it doesn't bring up anything related to Access.

@ Dave - it won't let me change the "limit in list" b/c it wants the primary key have a column width - which I have set to 0 since I don't want the primary key (just an autonumber) to be what is seen in the combo box.

Thanks! Robecca

Robecca

Registered User.
Local time
Thank you Spikepl, I appreciate the link on "not in list" event. I will delve into it now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom