can grow / can shrink anamolies between Access versions (1 Viewer)

accessuser1023

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:05
hi again guys,

Does anyone know if the issues with these textbox properties have been fixed in any version? These things have never worked for me and I've always had to 'BS' my way through the development because I can never seem to get them to work. Does anyone know of any specific circumstances surrounding these two properties? I've seen a lot of posts regarding complaining about them on various websites over the years.

thoughts anyone? I haven't searched yet, but I'm pretty sure that the differing Access versions also play a factor...

thanks.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:05
They always work for me. You do have to be careful to not have any overlap of any of the controls. If you do, shrink and grow will not work correctly. Also, keep in mind that these properties do not apply to forms. They only apply to reports and the shrinking/growing only happens vertically, never horizontally. Don't forget to set the can shrink/ can grow property for the section also. Controls will not grow to exceed the section size or shrink it if the section also isn't set to can shrink/ can grow.

accessuser1023

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:05
Don't forget to set the can shrink/ can grow property for the section also. Controls will not grow to exceed the section size or shrink it if the section also isn't set to can shrink/ can grow.
Pat, what do you mean by this? I'm not getting it. clarify?

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:05
Each control is placed in a section of a form - Header, detail, footer. And if you have defined groups using the sorting/grouping options, you will have additional sections. So the control has can grow/can shrink properties and so does the section that contains the control. If you set the control to grow but not the section, the control will grow to a size equal to the section but no larger. For example. The control is .25 high and the section is .5 high. the control will grow to .5 but no taller unless the section is also allowed to grow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom