can't install or run Access 97 on Win XP SP2 (1 Viewer)

AlanS

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:16
I have a genuine Microsoft CDs and keys, one with Office 97 Small Business Edition, and the other with Access 97 (these are both the full version, NOT upgrades). As I got new machines over the years (both Windows 98 and Windows XP SP 2), I installed the software from both CDs without incident a number of times on on each of those machines. I now have a new Lenovo T60 laptop (again with Win XP SP 2, 1 GB of RAM, and over 100 GB of free disk space).

Word, Excel and Outlook from the Office 97 SBE CD installed normally and run normally, except that I had to rename two Registry keys to get past an error message during installation saying that htmlmarq.ocx could not register itself (see http://forum.theispguide.com/isp-ftopic2753.html). When I went to install Access on the new machine, it kept prompting me to either point it to the folder where the "qualifiying product" was installed, or to insert that product's CD, before it would let me proceed with the "upgrade" - all this despite the fact that this is definitely a full product CD, and NOT an upgrade version. I went round and round with this a number of times, and eventually got past this series of screens (I don't remember how I did it, I was just so relieved to have circumvented the problem).

The balance of the installation appeared to complete normally. However, when I try to launch Access, I get an out of memory error, even immediately after a re-boot and with no other applications running. Does anyone have any ideas about how to resolve this?

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:16
the only Access97 problem i am aware is the hattenschwiler font problem, document in MS knowledge base.

this shows as "access not licenced on this machine" or similar message, and seems to happen if you install A97 on a system already loaded with later versions.

hope this helps

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom