Catholic Priests Abuse - A Whole New Dimension (1 Viewer)

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:02
Thanks Cathy

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 20:02
Spotlight is a great movie to watch. It covers the Catholic Priests misdemeanours. A great watch, and quite shocking too when you consider what went one.

Thanks for the recommendation Jon, I've just finished watching it on Netflix:-

I note from the credits at the end of the film that the Cardinal Law was sent to Rome, to a high ranking position, the question is why?

I reckon he was in a position to blackmail his way out of trouble.... Just a guess....

Reactions: Jon

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
What did you think of the movie?

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
What did you think of the movie?
It was very well done, some excellent and prominent actors. Captivating and easy to watch... I think one of the guys was the Hulk!

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
The Hulk! Was ages since I watched it.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:02
There have been 4 hulks - Lou Ferrigno (TV series), Eric Bana, Edward Norton, and Mark Ruffalo

In the movies, they "morphed" the actor to form the hulk, but in the TV series, they just got a big guy and painted him green.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
The most "incredible" thing about the Hulk were those purple pants. No matter what he was wearing, that was what he wore when he transformed and they always managed to stay intact enough to keep it PG.

Incredible, inconceivable even!

oleronesoftwares

Passionate Learner
Local time
Today, 12:02
I have a person in my life who is quilty of this very thing. He used his postion to coerce those under his authority to satisfy his perverted desires and has been bounced out of the few congregations he was pastor of and finally has no where to go. His saint of a wife has stood by him over the years out of what she perceived as her duty - but she detests him completly, further adding to his miserableness.

The "good" thing is that he is tortured daily over his past - albeit for selfsish reasons: "I could have been a well-respected university professor - blah, blah, blah"

He is in his 80's and becuase of his beliefs, fears death and subsequently judgement by the almighty. The point I am making is that sometimes, justice is served even if the victims are not aware of it.
True, but for the victim, its better justice is served by the Law of the land.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
The most "incredible" thing about the Hulk were those purple pants. No matter what he was wearing, that was what he wore when he transformed and they always managed to stay intact enough to keep it PG.

Incredible, inconceivable even!

Reminds me of a basketball game in which a player grabbed the other player by the shorts and the sports "color analyst" commented, "The only thing keeping those shorts up is a San Francisco city ordinance."

FrJonathan

Local time
I'm a little puzzled. What has any of this do to with MS Access? I joined this forum for an opportunity to discuss how to get Access to perform tasks, get some help solving problems with the software, and maybe give some help in return.

Yes, the sexual exploitation of others is both criminal and immoral. Yes, the abuse of positions of trust and leadership for personal gratification is horrible and traumatizing. Yes, it is particularly egregious when the victims are children, and when the abusers are religious/spiritual leaders.

But we're not going to solve that with VBA or an MS Access micro. Can we move the conversation about society's ills to Facebook and let the software forum focus on software?

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
You are in the WaterCooler where just about any Topic goes. Access is discussed in the other threads. Since there are so many skilled members on here that have everything in hand, 2nd stringers like me tend to hang out here since the members here are better then my Face Book "friends"

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
The owner of AWF has provided a "ignore toggle" so you need not be distracted by the watercooler.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
The problem with Facebook is:-

1) It's censored - I can practically guarantee that won't happen here.

2) If you post your controversial thoughts/observations on Facebook, then there's a good chance that a mob of "holier than thou" humans? Will round on you.

3) If you post your controversial thoughts/observations here, then you may well be taken to task, BUT in a civilised and respectful way.

4) Thank you for your observation about the forum, I hadn't realised how valuable this forum is until your comment caused me to consider it ....

Last edited:

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
The problem with Facebook is:-

1) It's censored - I can practically guarantee that won't happen here.

2) If you post your controversial thoughts/observations on Facebook, then there's a good chance that a mob of "holier than thou" humans? Will round on you.

3) If you post your controversial thoughts/observations here, then you may well be taken to task, BUT in a civilised and respectful way

4) Thank you for your observation about the forum, I hadn't realised how valuable this forum is until your comment caused me to consider it ....
Agreed on ALL counts.

Last edited by a moderator:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I'm a little puzzled. What has any of this do to with MS Access? I joined this forum for an opportunity to discuss how to get Access to perform tasks, get some help solving problems with the software, and maybe give some help in return.

Yes, the sexual exploitation of others is both criminal and immoral. Yes, the abuse of positions of trust and leadership for personal gratification is horrible and traumatizing. Yes, it is particularly egregious when the victims are children, and when the abusers are religious/spiritual leaders.

But we're not going to solve that with VBA or an MS Access micro. Can we move the conversation about society's ills to Facebook and let the software forum focus on software?

It is a facet of human nature that after a serious and intensely cerebral discussion, we retreat to other topics to vent our frustrations. I worked for the U.S. Navy as a contractor for over 28 years and can assure you that after difficult projects, we talked about anything BUT techie stuff. If you browse the site, you will see sideline topics from the headlines as well as back-page filler articles. However, they are concentrated in the Watercooler and in the Non-Access Issues section that includes Politics and Current Events. As others have mentioned, you can certainly ignore those categories, either with the Ignore feature, or you can look at the New Post list and see under the title that it comes from the Watercooler or Politics segments and just choose to not look. We don't charge so it's not like you would be wasting your admission fee by missing out on some of our more exotic sections.

Our priority is, indeed, technical programming. However, we do have people from all walks of life here. Because our site's owner, Jon, has chosen to make a policy of mostly free speech here, we let some things go and simply chastise members who go a little overboard. In the last five years, we have had permanent bans on either 2 or 3 members - always for the same cause, which was extreme verbal abuse of other members. In all but one of the cases that I recall for permanent bans, it was actually the same Hare Krishna fanatic who used foul language on members who dared disagree with his viewpoints. We banned him, he came back under a new name, got banned again. We are currently in his "idle" cycle for the moment, but he has been known to pop up after a hiatus.

Your picture and name suggest that you are with the Clergy. I will say outright that you are welcome here - but so are atheists, Jews, Buddhists, Protestants, Catholics, Hindus, Muslims, ... almost anything. If you are looking for a moral code here, try "ecumenical tolerance for different viewpoints." Therefore, you will find folks here who wish to discuss their viewpoints. As noted by other posters, we don't impose a lot of censorship. Just recognize that people can have different viewpoints and all you have to do respect the differences. Heck, your info says you are from California, which is the home of so many liberal topics that I can't count them all. Here you will find conservatives, liberals, libertarians, several UK political parties... and some of the brightest and most experienced technical people you will ever meet.

EDIT: Found your intro message and see that you are not a Catholic but one of the Protestant denominations. So I edited my reply to take that into account.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom