Catholic Priests Abuse - A Whole New Dimension (1 Viewer)

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:31
I pressed the "Like Button" whilst shaking my head.......

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:31
The only permanent bans I've ever enacted were on the HK Special. Can't speak about permanent bans on any of your other iterations, but you have learned enough to at least keep it civil.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Yesterday, 23:31
I think I used the wrong word there, although I said it slightly sarcastically.
I think that usage of the word speaks to the old British use of the word misdemeanors that meant something often much more serious as our current United States misdemeanors does.

(Hence the Constitution mentioning impeachment for "high crimes and misdemeanors".)

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I think you are probably right. Common usage of a word differs by culture.

Harrybrigham

Local time
When I was about 12/13 I used to go to a catholic club in the basement of a catholic church. I had been an atheist for some time, but the club had a full size snooker table. One evening I was at the club early and while I was leaning over the table This catholic priest came up behind me and tried it on. He made two mistakes. I wasn't a catholic and I had a snooker cue in my hand. I hit him in the face with the heavy end of the cue and he cut his neck on glass panels that were on bookcases that surrounded the table. He was bleeding and rushed out of the club. The following week the head priest called us all together and said that he had found out I wasn't a catholic so I had to leave the club. One of my pals protested that it was due to the fracas the previous week, and he got thrown out too. I didn't tell my parents because I was embarrassed. It was 1940's and these things were not talked about much. I have tried to find out what happened to the priest on the internet but his name was conspicuous by it's absence. Apparently he was known for it. When I talked about it the catholic boys said they couldn't complain because he was "a holy man" Game set and match to atheism.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 02:31
What an awful experience for a young boy. You handled it with remarkable maturity.

Harrybrigham

Local time
What an awful experience for a young boy. You handled it with remarkable maturity.
I would have done more, but there was an amount of "queer bashing" that used to go on in those days. My biggest regret was not being able to use the full size snooker table.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
When I talked about it the catholic boys said they couldn't complain because he was "a holy man" Game set and match to atheism

There will always be badly behaved people in every religion, whether its a Muslim with an exploding backpack or an unserious Christian, or any number of less common scenarios from A to Z.

The truth, whatever it may be, has nothing to do with the people who claim to believe it - it is whatever it is without regard to its "followers".

***Christians are called to follow Jesus, not to follow his followers--and that is the question at hand.
Framing the question as if we were being called to follow His followers is a common myth-turned-excuse for not taking an honest look at the thing...

I'm fairly unimpressed with many Christians too, and myself on some days, but this has nothing to do with Christianity.

Jesus talked a lot about people bearing fruit - and I have a feeling maybe He emphasized it precisely because he knew how many would bear none, sadly.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Jesus talked a lot about people bearing fruit - and I have a feeling maybe He emphasized it precisely because he knew how many would bear none, sadly.

And yet the parable of the sower is that you sow despite expectations, for it is a story about hoping to improve people. Despite my lack of belief in divinity, I understand a parable about hope and having faith in people to improve at least SOME of the time.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
I take from that parable a message about the soil of my heart and attitude being 'ready' and receptive to hear the voice or gospel of God - but I like that interpretation too, I'll have to give that some thought, thanks Doc!

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Adam, I think you will agree that my objections have been specifically about the mysticism, not about the messages of forgiveness, love, hope, and cooperation.

oleronesoftwares

Passionate Learner
Local time
And yet the parable of the sower is that you sow despite expectations, for it is a story about hoping to improve people. Despite my lack of belief in divinity, I understand a parable about hope and having faith in people to improve at least SOME of the time.
Balanced approach you have.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I take from that parable a message about the soil of my heart and attitude being 'ready' and receptive to hear the voice or gospel of God - but I like that interpretation too, I'll have to give that some thought, thanks Doc!

More specifically, the sower sows all of his fields even though he only expects lower yields from many of them, but he will not abandon the poorly performing fields. It is INTENDED to of course refer to sowing seeds of faith even though you know that some will not take very well. If you expand that philosophically, though, the simple-minded interpretation condensed to its smallest statement is "Don't give up on people."

conception_native_0123

Local time
If you expand that philosophically, though, the simple-minded interpretation condensed to its smallest statement is "Don't give up on people."
is that the philosophy you took with me? "dont give up on people"? here I am, back at it, after multiple times leaving, and Jon said there was always hope for people. Didn't he? =)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Adam, there is hope for you yet. And yes, I refused to give up on you. Though I WILL admit rolling my eyes a few times. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom