Cellphone ban while driving (1 Viewer)

oumahexi

Free Range Witch
Local time
Today, 15:59
Oh yes he appreciated that she was going nowhere but the law is the law.

Presumable he'd have booked her for abandoning a vehicle had she stepped outside the car to make the call.

I nearly got wiped out by a car overtaking on a hill on a bend. I was pleased that there was a traffic cop behind me. The cop didn't flinch, he was more interested in stopping me because the car was registered to someone who had lost his liscence. He was rather miffed to find that I was legally driving the car :eek:

Alc

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:59
It's not the people talking on their cell phones who are the problem - They may have headsets and that's no worse than listening to the car radio. it's the people who are reading and sending text messages that are the real menace as are those that must look at their maps while speeding along.
Agree on the last two points, but can't agree on the first bit.

Listening to the radio can be done passively, talking to someone can't. If someone's concentrating on a conversation their reaction time will drop.
http://www.livescience.com/technology/050201_cell_danger.html
I know plenty of people argue that the fact they're not holding a phone means they're not distracted, but the brain is still not giving full attention to the most important thing if it's distracted by holding a conversation.

oumahexi

Free Range Witch
Local time
On the subject of dangerous driving. Maybe they should take a look at the number of zombies out there on prozac and the like driving around our streets. I understand doctors are legally obliged to inform the DVLA if a patient is diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, why not do the same for everyone they prescribe antidepresants, or other mind altering drugs to?

oumahexi

Free Range Witch
Local time
A clean driving record to me is not an indication of good driving skills and judgement. It could simply be down to the fact that they only drive one hour per month.
/QUOTE]

Nooooo! I used to drive an average of five hours a day. Him indoors gets very upset that after stupid number of years I'm still driving like I'm in my test, LOL. It's just habit. Does it make me a better driver? Probably not. Have I a clean lisence? Sure do, but I think that's 99% luck rather than judgement. ;)

Local time
Today, 09:59
On the subject of dangerous driving. Maybe they should take a look at the number of zombies out there on prozac and the like driving around our streets. I understand doctors are legally obliged to inform the DVLA if a patient is diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, why not do the same for everyone they prescribe antidepresants, or other mind altering drugs to?

I think the Police did a song about something like this. 1984 was a great year for thinking about this type of thing.

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
Agree on the last two points, but can't agree on the first bit.

Listening to the radio can be done passively, talking to someone can't. If someone's concentrating on a conversation their reaction time will drop.
http://www.livescience.com/technology/050201_cell_danger.html
I know plenty of people argue that the fact they're not holding a phone means they're not distracted, but the brain is still not giving full attention to the most important thing if it's distracted by holding a conversation.
I take your point but drivers do speak to their passengers without breaking the law. If we followed your view then mothers shouldn't be allowed to drive their children if they are the only adult because children can be very distracting.

Alc

Registered User.
Local time
I take your point but drivers do speak to their passengers without breaking the law. If we followed your view then mothers shouldn't be allowed to drive their children if they are the only adult because children can be very distracting.
A conversation with passengers stops if there is suddenly a situation that requires more concentration on the part of the driver. Someone on the other end of the phone doesn't stop talking under those circumstances, since they don't know it's happening.

As far as the mother thing goes, if someone isn't capable of concentrating on driving then they shouldn't be driving. Yes, obviously kids can be distracting, but if the person considers themself competent enough to be in control of a large metal object moving at high speeds, then they should also be capable of blocking out non-essential stimuli to at least some extent. Even if we say that having kids somehow gives one the right to not pay attention when driving, the children would be classed as an unavoidable distraction. Someone being unwilling to wait until they pull over to make/receive a call is deliberately creating a distraction.

Talking on the phone - hands-free or not - takes someon's attention away from the most important thing at hand: driving. If the only person at risk were the one on the phone, fine, I couldn't care less if they crash. Unfortunately, it's other drivers and pedestrians who are put at risk.

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
My point was that there is a sliding scale of distractions while driving and the boundaries between what is legal and what is not do not always correspond to the actual degree of distraction.

Remember that the majority of accidents are not alcohol related or cell phone related. They are caused by momentary lapses of concentration

Last edited:

Alc

Registered User.
Local time
Remember that the majority of accidents are not alcohol related or cell phone related. They are caused by mementary lapses of concentration
And you don't think that being engaged in a conversation with someone who isn't in the vehicle can lead to lapses in concentration?

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
And you don't think that being engaged in a conversation with someone who isn't in the vehicle can lead to lapses in concentration?
Of course. But other things which are not illegal can cause lapses too. That's my point. Children can be a major distraction. So can the radio. So can having an argument with your partner. The list is endless. I personally feel that people shouldn't smoke and drive especially if they have a manual gearbox.

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
As a side-note. There's a grocery store in my town that employs some kid to dress up in a monkey suit and dance about with a big sign with the newest offers. This is right alongside a big intersection. I'm just waiting for the day when that store gets sued for causing a wreck.

meinrosebud

Local time
Tomorrow, 00:59
Here's a controversial one from Chicago. I'll be interested to see what opinions spring up.

Chicago recently passed a ban on cell phone usage while driving within the city limits. Do you think this is a good idea? Is this another example of over legislating or is it a good measure to help reduce traffic accidents? Will it help reduce traffic accidents at all?

Yeah it stop people killing other people while they are on the phone.

meinrosebud

Local time
Tomorrow, 00:59
As a side-note. There's a grocery store in my town that employs some kid to dress up in a monkey suit and dance about with a big sign with the newest offers. This is right alongside a big intersection. I'm just waiting for the day when that store gets sued for causing a wreck.

Hmmm, if it is America I can believe it. No one takes the blame for their own actions.

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
Today, 07:59
I have never used my cellphone while driving - its already diffucult enough to drive a motorcycle while smoking and reading a newspaper... keeps me busy enough that I can only sip my coffee occasionally... :eek:
Of course. But other things which are not illegal can cause lapses too. That's my point. Children can be a major distraction. So can the radio. So can having an argument with your partner. The list is endless. I personally feel that people shouldn't smoke and drive especially if they have a manual gearbox.

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
I find it very distracting to sip coffee when driving. it makes such a mess when it spills.:D

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
I find it very distracting to sip coffee when driving. it makes such a mess when it spills.:D
Yes, but if you live in the States you can get about $20,000,000 for doing just that:rolleyes:

Len Boorman

Back in gainfull employme
Local time
Best description I ever heard of driving

A real time hazard analysis situation.

So any interuption to the basic real time hazard analysis process should be avoided

but it is boring that way as well

L

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom