Cellphone ban while driving (1 Viewer)

reclusivemonkey

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:08
Kraj said:
Good point. But in any case a person with a clean driving record is less a danger on the road, regardless of the reason.

Hi Kraj,

Not sure I follow your logic there. I think a clean driving licence indicates you have not been caught infringing traffic laws, no more, no less. For instance, lets say someone passes their driving test on the first go after only a few weeks training, then don't drive for two years. I would say that person's driving is not "road tested". I think most people would be in agreement that in the U.K. you only really start to drive after you have passed your test and get out on the roads. I wouldn't say this is the same in the US; there it seems you have a far more sensible approach and teach driving skills in schools (as far as I am aware).

Kraj said:
I actuall wasn't aware you had such a test in the UK. Sounds like a good idea. In the U.S., though, that information is at the fingertips of the police; there wouldn't be the slightest increase in cost or time investment.

Yes, the advanced driving test is a good idea, it means you pay much less in insurance. It may be that the police can easily check the type of driving licence here too; however working in Local Government in a technical field, I doubt it very much ;-)

Kraj said:
I certainly agree, but many people's career is driving-based and telephone communication is necessary. So, what about someone's life versus someone's livelihood?

I don't agree that telephone communication is necessary. Surely if you are driving on business there is nothing that is so important that you have to respond that immediately. I think a far better idea would be email. The driver could be alerted to a message with a sound (or even a voice) which tells them of the urgency of the message. The computer should then only give the full message (via a screen or voice) when the vehicle is stationery with the engine switched off. If the driver needs to communicate with head office, he can do. Here in the UK, there are plenty of places to stop even on the longest journeys. Hell, most people from the US would consider driving across the UK as a quick drive I expect. Now whether this would work in the US with much greater distances, I couldn't really say Kraj.

Last edited:
N

nbroadhurst

The penalty for holding a phone to your head while driving (obviously not the official title) is $135 and 3 demerit points in Australia. I have no problems with it, and if it's an urgent call it's not hard to push the speakerphone button while watching the road.

I have no problems with pulling over, however by law here, we're also required to turn off the engine and remove the keys from the ignition. I think it's the new "over-protective parent" technique.

It's the same for Drink Driving (which i do not condone at all). 2 weeks ago, after drinks in our hotel room my friends went to get some forgotten bags from their car. The key was in the door and he was rifling through the backseat when cops tried to pull him up for drink driving. Once your key is in the car door your a drunk driver. Because his car had an immobiliser on the engine he wasn't charged (although the car was examined for any sign of being unroadworthy - my mates can be pretty cheeky)

Pardon the tangent rant :rolleyes:

back to work now :eek:!

carash77ash

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:08
I spend alot of time on the road. average about 2500 KM a month. In Australia we have had the mobile ban for a couple of years. I get quite irrated by other drivers that fail to observe basic laws. The laws are there to benifet all drivers. People who talk on mobiles don't indicate, as they don't have a sparehand to use. they drive at inconstent speeds. Slow down speed up. My thought is would they drive any better with the mobile phone shoved up there arse. Because i would quite willing to volunteer to put it there......sideways.

Ash

NJudson

Who farted?
Local time
Today, 03:08
Well, I have had an accident while using my phone so I can say from first hand experience that a law banning isn't all that bad. Granted I was just traveling about 10-15mph through my neighborhood with the morning sun directly in my eye and the car I hit pretty much in a blind spot, but nevertheless I think that if I wasn't trying to dial a number at that exact time then I most likely would not have hit the other car. :eek:

The thing that made me angry about that accident is that the other person and her two kids were for all intents and purposes perfectly fine after the accident aside from being shaken up. Then almost exactly 2 years after the accident I receive a notification that they filed a lawsuit against me. Hmmm, nearly two years after the accident just magically coincides with about the same time that their eligibility for filing a lawsuit was up. Those cheap, lazy, good-for-nothing B@st@ards decided at the last moment that they'd try to take me for whatever they could while they still had a chance. Fortunately, my insurance company covered whatever they got which I think was very little anyway. The one bit in the lawsuit that really gets me is although the husband was not involved in the accident he was suiing me for "Loss of Consortium" which is a load of crap because the woman wasn't injured or anything. That whole "loss of consortium" bit is SO abused its not funny. Anyway, I'm finished ranting. Bye bye now.

R

Rich

NJudson said:
suiing me for "Loss of Consortium" which is a load of crap because the woman wasn't injured or anything. That whole "loss of consortium" bit is SO abused its not funny. Anyway, I'm finished ranting. Bye bye now.

Women have a nasty habit of losing consortium anyway even without a car accident :cool: :D

Kraj

Registered User.
Local time
I wonder if one can sue one's own spouse for loss of consortium? :rolleyes:

supercharge

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:08
I also wonder what police would do (nothing?) if I can capture anyone breaking traffic laws on a camera and then turn it in to police?

Myselft, while driving, got cut-in by so many cars and they did not even use their turning signals :mad:.

NJudson

Who farted?
Local time
supercharge said:
I also wonder what police would do (nothing?) if I can capture anyone breaking traffic laws on a camera and then turn it in to police?

Myselft, while driving, got cut-in by so many cars and they did not even use their turning signals :mad:.

Sort of reminds me of many years ago when driving with some friends of my we spotted what seemed to be an obvious drunk driver. We thought we'd follow him to see if we could report him, but I think at some point he realized we were following him and he sped up and began driving more recklessly than ever. We decided it was best just to back off and let it go. Too bad cell phones weren't common back then.

Kraj

Registered User.
Local time
supercharge said:

I'm not a cop, judge or lawyer, so I don't know for sure what legal recourse is available, but...

If you took video of the offender and filed a complaint, the police could petition a judge for an arrest warrant, arrest the driver and charge him/her. If that person went to court, you'd be subpoenaed (wow, I almost spelled that right first try) as a witness to confirm the video. How likely is it that a police department would actually go through all that for a minor traffic violation? Well I think you can answer that one on your own. You're much better off pulling out your cell phone and reporting the driver. Unless there's a cell phone ban in the area. ;)

NJudson

Who farted?
Local time
reclusivemonkey said:
I think a clean driving licence indicates you have not been caught infringing traffic laws, no more, no less.

This is true in many ways. I admit that I'm not the most astute driver on the road and I'm had my share of accidents and tickets, but there really does seem to be an element of luck involved. I swear I've known much worse drivers than myself who have not been involved in any or as many accidents/tickets that I have before and it really has to have some element of luck and/or karma if you believe in that sort of thing. Some people just seem to have worse luck in being in the wrong place at the wrong time and unfortunately I think that I'm one of them. :(

darrenwilliams

Local time
Yes thats absolutely right, its just the matter of luck. But the cell phones while driving are big distraction in real sense. And I think the ban on cell phones while driving is justified.

maalikkhan

Cool As Ice
Local time
it is a very good idea. ppl behave like jerks while they are on their cell phone and driving

oumahexi

Free Range Witch
Local time
UUrrrgh... I hate people who don't use their turning signals when changing lanes. I swear it causes more accidents than actually speeding, using cell phones, etc.
QUOTE]

Until I bought one I thought BMW didn't fit their cars with indicators. They do you know! I love them, they're a great invention, they not only let other road users know your intent, but they are also very good manners. But just using the indicator doesn't make it your right to pull in front of someone either -they are extremely guilty of that in Scotland, mostly with cars who's steering wheels are on the wrong side of the car :)

The ban on using mobile phones whilst driving hasn't been that great a success here, you still see it way too often. Mothers with babies in their cars ! For goodness sake, get a grip!!

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
it is a very good idea. ppl behave like jerks while they are on their cell phone and driving
It's not the people talking on their cell phones who are the problem - They may have headsets and that's no worse than listening to the car radio. it's the people who are reading and sending text messages that are the real menace as are those that must look at their maps while speeding along.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
In the Uk the real problem with the cell phone law is the definition of driving, ie being in the car with the engine running, don't laugh, think about it.
My daughter was caught in a traffic jam , after no sign of movement for 40 minutes she dug her phone out of her bag turned it on and contacted the office to let them know she would be late for a meeting she was to chair, As she put her phone away she noticed a policeman taking his life in his hands as he dodged traffic to cross another road, she soon found why he was doing this as he knocked on her window and proceded to book her for using a mobile phone while driving!!! Oh yes he appreciated that she was going nowhere but the law is the law.
I wonder how many more victims he got toward his target that day.

Brian

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
In the Uk the real problem with the cell phone law is the definition of driving, ie being in the car with the engine running, don't laugh, think about it.
My daughter was caught in a traffic jam , after no sign of movement for 40 minutes she dug her phone out of her bag turned it on and contacted the office to let them know she would be late for a meeting she was to chair, As she put her phone away she noticed a policeman taking his life in his hands as he dodged traffic to cross another road, she soon found why he was doing this as he knocked on her window and proceded to book her for using a mobile phone while driving!!! Oh yes he appreciated that she was going nowhere but the law is the law.
I wonder how many more victims he got toward his target that day.

Brian
And then the police wonder why people don't respect them anymore. It is a sad state of affairs when people only get a caution for threatening people with a knife while Brian's daughter gets a fine and points on her licence for a purely technical breach of the law putting no-one at risk.:confused:

R

Rich

And then the police wonder why people don't respect them anymore. It is a sad state of affairs when people only get a caution for threatening people with a knife while Brian's daughter gets a fine and points on her licence for a purely technical breach of the law putting no-one at risk.:confused:

Brown has raise extra money to pay for the wars somewhere:rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom