Changes to Access World Forums (1 Viewer)

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Today, 16:26
Bob, it is against Googles terms of service to open up a new window.

Really? Many many websites do google ads this way. That is strange.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 21:26
Can you show me just one site that does this with Google ads?

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Today, 13:26
Bob, it is against Googles terms of service to open up a new window.

That's strange because it does on other pages. And I think that's a bunch of bs anyway because then you start sending your users to another site with the links and they are no longer on your own site. All of the google links I've seen on other websites open in another window. But I guess if you have to do that then users, like me, will get used to not clicking on the ads. When I click on an ad in almost any other circumstance, I expect it to not take me there in my current window or tab, but to open a new window or tab so that I can remain on my primary site.

Can you post the exact wording from their agreement which states this? I can't find it in their terms and conditions for Adwords or Adsense anywhere.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Google have a policy and they don't budge an inch. I've had many dealings with them over the years. They have TOC and that's it.

Are you aware that they are banning people from adsense left, right and centre?

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Google have a policy and they don't budge an inch. I've had many dealings with them over the years. They have TOC and that's it.
Well, the terms and conditions do not explicitly ban a new window. I can say I searched that left and right, up and down and it doesn't say that. The link you posted is to a FAQ and it says that they GENERALLY DISCOURAGE this. That is different from explicitly stating you can't do it.

Are you aware that they are banning people from adsense left, right and centre?
Nope because I don't use them. But as I said, perhaps that isn't the solution. The Developer Barn is using donations through PayPal to gather the funds to keep things open and perhaps something of that nature would be successful here if it were used. But that is just a suggestion.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Its against the TOS for me to modify the ads. Only Google will decide if they will allow adsense to open a new window. I've never seen an example of this. However, they state China is one market and that it is to do with the IP address and so therefore the region you are in.

I have a plan for raising revenue. There is an affiliate program I will be promoting and by growing the articles section of this site, I hope to raise additional revenue. Earnings from forums are notoriously low since the click through rate is tiny.

Currently waiting for the vbulletin CMS system to mature a little. It is still in beta. Big site changes when that is nearly ready. Hopefully then I can create a dynamic chart showing the top 10 posters and their posts count. Might act as a fun kind of competition!

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Well, it was only a suggestion.

I don't know what you pay for things and who you're hosted with and all. I do know that my site (http://www.btabdevelopment.com) is hosted for US $14.99 per month and it includes unlimited storage and unlimited bandwidth.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I welcome all suggestions Bob.

The costs for hosting are considerable because they have to be on a server that can cope with 400 guests at any one time. Sometimes our current host has struggled but it seems to have got its act together recently.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
I haven't asked them to see if they could handle it but my host is Godaddy. I, myself, have never had a problem with them and I've been with them now since about 2003 or 2004. But, as I said, I don't know if they can handle that many concurrent connections. I would think they would because they are a fairly large provider.

Anyway, just thought I should pass along the info, just in case it helps.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
We use a semi-dedicated server, of which you can get many different grades. I also have some sites hosted with Godaddy, but not this one.

How are you finding the speed of it lately? Has it got a little better?

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
How are you finding the speed of it lately? Has it got a little better?
The speed of the current AWF site? If so, it seems to be better than it has been, at least from my perspective.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Yes, thought so. They must have upgraded the server. It was really poor for a while and I was getting hundreds of error messages per day, clogging up my email.

Bob, I know this is slightly off-topic for the thread, but what makes you spend such a lot of time on this forum?

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Bob, I know this is slightly off-topic for the thread, but what makes you spend such a lot of time on this forum?
I'm an Access forum addict. Seriously. I love answering questions and so that is what I do. I also spend time at Utter Access and Mr. Excel, just to name a few. If I could get paid just to answer questions on forums, that is what I would do. I don't have many other hobbies or things I'm interested in and so I do this. I guess I'm not a normal person, as normal people actually do other things.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Seriously. I love answering questions . . . .

Sadly, I will be banned if I dare make a comment.

I don't have many other hobbies or things I'm interested in and so I do this. I guess I'm not a normal person, as normal people actually do other things.

I would love to comment on this statement too, but some people (I've been told) are not to be upset.

Col

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
I welcome all suggestions Bob.

The costs for hosting are considerable because they have to be on a server that can cope with 400 guests at any one time. Sometimes our current host has struggled but it seems to have got its act together recently.

Yeah, I just looked and the plan I'm using wouldn't be sufficient for this site. It only allows for 200Mb databases.

oumahexi

Free Range Witch
Local time
Picking up on the discussion in Adam's "How to speak to a programmer" thread, it occurs to me that there is no option here to leave the forum. It may be useful to have an "unsubscribe" option for numpties who have created more than one user name. I ran into a similar problem on face book when I forgot my login details and created a new user for myself. Fortunately, when I did remember the original I was able to delete one of the users.

puzzled

Access VUP
Local time
Well that's odd, when viewing the forum via Virgin none of the adds on the pages show, just red oblongs

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
It may be useful to have an "unsubscribe" option for numpties who have created more than one user name.

Most people don't know that an Admin can MERGE the two accounts into one if they desire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom