ChatGPT: The Future of AI is Here! (1 Viewer)

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:50
I gotta give you guys the heads up on this new piece of amazing tech. OpenAI have released the most incredible chatbot ever! It is so smart I guarantee you will be amazed. It is currently free during this phase, but will probably end up as a paid thing in the future. I recommend you sign up now and have a play.

Just go to https://openai.com/blog/chatgpt/ and click TRY CHATGPT.

To give a taster for how good it is, I am pasting my question to it and its answer. It wrote this thread title!!

1670450576063.png

You can ask it just about anything, ranging from coding questions, tutorials, recipes, and so on. Give it a go and let me know what you think.

This has been the most profound new piece of tech that I have come across since the birth of the search engine. No wonder they have over one million signups in the first week!

Last edited:

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Another example for your amusement...

1670452989353.png

Lightwave

Ad astra
Local time
I tried to get it to write some truly bespoke code... Not bad...

1670513678212.png

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 02:50
Yeah I've been playing with it the last few days. I told it to make one of my essays 4 pages, and it got a pretty solid 3.25.
I also agree with the recent fox news article, though, this thing is a horrible omen for the next few years of high school and college, until they figure out how to include a way of tokenizing and making the created products searchable, else the world will be OVERWHELMED with plagiarism - and I assert that with no apology for hyperbole, absolutely none, after raising 2 children, one of whom became a Quizlet expert.

It's cool, but they absolutely have to find some way of making all content it creates searchable and indexed, else plagiarism will overwhelm what tiny bit of trust we have in each other's essays and articles in the first place.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Yeah I've been playing with it the last few days. I told it to make one of my essays 4 pages, and it got a pretty solid 3.25.
How did you feed the essay into it and what question did you ask it? Did it rewrite the essay or puff it out? I presume 3.25 is a good score, although I don't know since I am a Brit.

I've been asking it to make up rhymes. For example, make a rhyme with brussel sprouts and ice cream in it. It comes up with some really good stuff!

Lightwave

Ad astra
Local time
I also agree with the recent fox news article, though, this thing is a horrible omen for the next few years of high school and college, until they figure out how to include a way of tokenizing and making the created products searchable, else the world will be OVERWHELMED with plagiarism - and I assert that with no apology for hyperbole, absolutely none, after raising 2 children, one of whom became a Quizlet expert.

It's cool, but they absolutely have to find some way of making all content it creates searchable and indexed, else plagiarism will overwhelm what tiny bit of trust we have in each other's essays and articles in the first place.
Twitter is already full of people trying to get you to follow them and be taught how to use AI to write content..

Lightwave

Ad astra
Local time
I'm asking it questions I know the answer to at the moment and definitely is likely to be helpful for me for a start to problems

1670516976138.png

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I'm asking it questions I know the answer to at the moment and definitely is likely to be helpful for me for a start to problems
I think it is both groundbreaking and game changing.

Like any tool, the skill of the user helps you get the best answers. If I was given a spear to hunt and I keep missing the target, don't blame the spear, blame the skill of the thrower. Or, if a sculpter is given a chisel to carve out some wood, if he complains he can't get it to look right, don't blame the chisel.

Likewise, ChatGPT input is going to be another skillset. You can find out its limitations and where it can help. For me personally, it is coming up with great ideas for product names, domain name ideas and so on.

For example, here is a quick question I asked: "Give me a good new domain name idea for a microsoft access discussion website that is currently called Access World".

1670518104238.png

It is harder than you think to come up with a bunch of names.

Last edited:

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Haha, I just can't stop myself!

1670518292448.png

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
It's great for brainstorming ideas. Tip: if it spits you out its answer, you can click Try again and it will regurgitate something completely different.

More...

1670518420161.png

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
One more...

1670518579498.png

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
How did you feed the essay into it and what question did you ask it? Did it rewrite the essay or puff it out? I presume 3.25 is a good score, although I don't know since I am a Brit.

I've been asking it to make up rhymes. For example, make a rhyme with brussel sprouts and ice cream in it. It comes up with some really good stuff!
I can't remember exactly, but it was more or less: "Write a 4 page essay that explains the constitutional right of free speech, and include caselaw precedents that demonstrate evolution and interpretation over time".
By 3.25 I meant 3.25 pages instead of 4, double spaced. Pretty close.

That rhyming is awesome.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Twitter is already full of people trying to get you to follow them and be taught how to use AI to write content..
Uhh yuck. I didn't know that, as I don't use social media. Except for AWF, which I consider social media since all I do on here is banter, with the occasional dose of Access thrown in.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
@Jon what I didn't like is this - from the description, I thought that it would "interact" with you - meaning, you could tell it to do something, and then give it MORE information and it would EDIT the previously created thing. Meaning, you could continue fine-tuning the same thing.
Instead, it seems all you can do is try a new and different command and see if it's closer to what you want.
Which I guess is cool but I was hoping it could take what it already produced and sort of fine tune it.

Like, "add more detail in the second paragraph about ....."

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Those all seem to demonstrate a specific underlying political lean of the 'author', eh?
Yeah plenty of articles already written agreeing with that - unfortunately there is NO way to "completely" avoid bias, when a human being created the thing that supposedly creates things..

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Like, "add more detail in the second paragraph about ....."
Take the second paragraph, paste it in and ask it to expand on it with more detail. Might be worth a try. Or just keep clicking Try again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom