ChatGPT: The Future of AI is Here! (1 Viewer)

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:33
I know I'm going to ask chat GTP what it thinks!

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
ChatGPT said:-

AI and Plagiarism​

ChatGPT and plagiarism? If the software pulls together it's answer from things it finds on the web. In other words, other people's work, isn't that a sort of plagiarism? Humans avoid plagiarism by reading stuff they find and then reiterating it in their own words.

As an AI language model, I don't have direct access to the internet or specific databases during our conversation. My responses are generated based on the vast amount of text I've been trained on, which includes a wide range of sources such as books, articles, websites, and other texts, up until September 2021. I do not have the capability to browse the web in real-time or retrieve current information.
Regarding plagiarism, it's important to note that ChatGPT does not have consciousness or intentions. While it can provide information from various sources, it doesn't actively search for specific content or directly quote from individual authors. Instead, it learns patterns and structures from the training data to generate responses.
However, it's essential for users to be aware that the information provided by AI models like ChatGPT may not always be accurate, up-to-date, or reliable. It's always a good practice to verify information from multiple sources and exercise critical thinking.
When it comes to humans, you're correct that plagiarism involves presenting someone else's work or ideas as your own without proper attribution. Ethical practices in research, writing, and communication generally involve properly citing and paraphrasing information from sources to avoid plagiarism.
If you're using information from the web or other sources, it's recommended to read, understand, and process the information in your own words, giving credit to the original authors when necessary.

Free Research Preview. ChatGPT may produce inaccurate information about people, places, or facts. ChatGPT May 12 Version

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
A couple of days ago I posted a YouTube video of someone using chat GPT to write some Google app script code for a Google sheet.

To test this capability, I got chat GPT to write me some VBA code to open the file dialog box. I've not tested it because I'm on holiday, but it looks about right.

This got me to thinking, I've made several attempts to learn the Dart language and the Flutter framework. I followed a YouTube example and created myself a nice calculator.

However, I find it a struggle, particularly to find the relevant code needed for my own project.

ChatGPT I thought!

And yes, chat GPT provided me with some code which looks like it will create a grid with 12 clickable images. That's what I need to start my own project which is to be a keyboard but without numbers it will have changeable images.

Last edited:

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
In the Jordan B Peterson video I posted earlier:-

Jordan B Peterson interviewing Brian Roemmele

Chat GPT and the dawn of computer hyperintelligence | Brian Roemmele

Dr. Jordan B. Peterson and Brian Roemmele talk about the possibility of using chat GPT's abilities to absorb a book like the bible, or a canon of work like all of Dr Jordan Peterson's published papers. This would give you the ability to "talk" to the Bible or "talk" to the canon of your work and ask questions about it and have the Solutions, the Answers served up by Chat GPT.

Up until now I've used chat GPT sparingly, begrudgingly, using it to write bits of code for me. Just testing its metal on things I understand. On hearing Dr. Jordan B. Peterson and Brian Roemmele explain chat gpt's capabilities I realized I needed to test it more thoroughly. I asked it to help solve a problem I have had for decades, the loss of a word, a description of a process which has alluded me...

It found it!!! Chat GPT led me to the answer! It was amazing!

See here:-

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 05:33
ChatGPT said:-

AI and Plagiarism​

ChatGPT and plagiarism? If the software pulls together it's answer from things it finds on the web. In other words, other people's work, isn't that a sort of plagiarism? Humans avoid plagiarism by reading stuff they find and then reiterating it in their own words.

As an AI language model, I don't have direct access to the internet or specific databases during our conversation. My responses are generated based on the vast amount of text I've been trained on, which includes a wide range of sources such as books, articles, websites, and other texts, up until September 2021. I do not have the capability to browse the web in real-time or retrieve current information.
Regarding plagiarism, it's important to note that ChatGPT does not have consciousness or intentions. While it can provide information from various sources, it doesn't actively search for specific content or directly quote from individual authors. Instead, it learns patterns and structures from the training data to generate responses.
However, it's essential for users to be aware that the information provided by AI models like ChatGPT may not always be accurate, up-to-date, or reliable. It's always a good practice to verify information from multiple sources and exercise critical thinking.
When it comes to humans, you're correct that plagiarism involves presenting someone else's work or ideas as your own without proper attribution. Ethical practices in research, writing, and communication generally involve properly citing and paraphrasing information from sources to avoid plagiarism.
If you're using information from the web or other sources, it's recommended to read, understand, and process the information in your own words, giving credit to the original authors when necessary.

Free Research Preview. ChatGPT may produce inaccurate information about people, places, or facts. ChatGPT May 12 Version

In addition to previous posts I've made wherein I believe that the impressive ease with which people have already created software to detect ChatGPT output, and how I believe that means 'something' (not sure exactly what, but something significant)...I will also say that my kids have already had stuff they wrote detected as failing the test......Even though they merely wrote something in Spanish on their own totally - and then had ChatGPT translate it to English. Even just the mere translation was detectable!

And my daughter wrote a presentation with some narrative. She wrote all her own narrative, but wanted it dumbed down to outline form for the presentation. She used chatgpt JUST to turn a NARRATIVE into an OUTLINE ..........and that was flagged by the professor using some new tool.

Wow..

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Hi @Jon,

I know you use Anki flashcards.

I saw this post on Twitter where Firstly, you can share your chat GPT conversation as a URL, see below.

Secondly, the thing that I think will be of interest to you Jon, you can use chat GPT to generate Anki cards.

The following link should be self-explanatory when you open it:-

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:33
When I was in grad school, which was a publish-or-perish environment, there was this saying that was circulated regarding one of my committee professors. Regarding Dr. X, it was said: Copy one research article and it is plagiarism. Copy two research articles and it gross plagiarism. Copy at least five research articles and it becomes a review article. And yes, this professor who was on my examining board DID have a large number of review articles to his credit. He was otherwise a nice guy and I actually liked him, so I'll keep his actual name and initials out of this. But he WAS known for getting off a phone call after chewing the fat with a distant colleague and immediately sending one of his grad students down to the lab to see if he could get publishable results before someone else did.

There is another viewpoint for this: Tom Lehrer's song "Lobachevsky"

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Hi @Jon,

I know you use Anki flashcards.

I saw this post on Twitter where Firstly, you can share your chat GPT conversation as a URL, see below.

Secondly, the thing that I think will be of interest to you Jon, you can use chat GPT to generate Anki cards.

The following link should be self-explanatory when you open it:-

Thanks for that Uncle. I did see something about it before with Anki, but I stopped using Anki along with Supermemo (a more sophisticated alternative) about a year ago. Edit: I still use spaced repetition but for improving my chess, using a site called Chessable.

Ultimately, we will be able to use ChatGPT for virtually anything in the future requiring intelligence. The big difference between ChatGPT and us is that it has near perfect memory, whilst we struggle.

Last edited:

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I read about a new AI Chatbot called Poe, built by Quora. It lets you interface with a number of chatbots, including ChatGPT, Claude etc.

May be worth a look: https://poe.com/

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
Today, 08:33
The Rise of the Machine

GitHub reports that 41% of code it being written by AI.

The offspring are eating their parents.

Knowing what to do is now more important than knowing how.

Yeah, I know, the old kill the messenger thing exist for a reason.

Last edited:

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
GitHub reports that 41% of code it being written by AI.

My production of code has increased significantly, but not because I'm doing more VBA, it's because I now have the inclination to delve into other languages, and areas which I would have deemed too time consuming to attempt prior to ChatGPT... Mind you, it's still takes a significant amount of time, time well spent.

1st labour saving device
I have a coding system which employs a Google Chrome extension, the extension calls on a python flask server, the python flask server runs a Python routine that creates a template file in any Google Drive folder open in a chrome tab...

2nd labour saving device
I was talking to someone and I needed to make some notes. I opened my notes.txt file which is in my toolbar (bottom of the screen) When I finish at night, this note file is still there unsaved and usually causes me a slight hiccup in shutting down the PC. I had a little chat with chat GPT, made a copy of the Chrome extension I mentioned above, opened the copy in Visual Studio, changed the code according to chat gpt's instructions.

I now have a Chrome button which links directly to my notes folder in Google Drive. If I need to take a note, click on that and type my note straight into a Google document ready for the purpose. All saved, online, safe (famous last words)

3rd labour saving device
The afore mentioned button for note-taking also has a link to my SOP folder. I never use the dam thing "Standard Operating Procedures" but now it's just one click away, I should start developing some sops, which will hopefully speed up my work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom