Collecting data via email - making it look good (1 Viewer)

bobunknown

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:14
Hi all,

im experimenting with collecting data via email. I have used the wizard to creat a functional email that dose what I need but I was wondering if there is a way to make it look.... better is probably the best word.

All it is at the moment is a long list of the fields that I have entered not very astatic at all.

Can this be altered in any way or am I stuck with it?

Thanks

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:14
You didn't post a screenshot or a more detailed description. Therefore at the moment I see no problem. (Literally - I can't see your problem.)

You'll have to give us a LITTLE bit more to work on, thanks.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:14
I think this is one of those situations where a picture is better than many words.

bobunknown

Registered User.
Local time
A picture speaks a thousand words - LOL
here you go.

Is there any way to change the layout? it was created like I said using the wizard from the External data tab --- Collect data ----- create email.

Ideas?

Attachments

• Add Data collection Query Query Form.docx
    17.3 KB · Views: 73

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:14
Other than frilly fancy borders and elegant fonts, changing this requires YOU to answer a question: Does this get the job done?

Second question: Do the folks who have to use this complain about it?

Third question: Has anyone who has used this made suggestions about making it prettier?

Here is my central point: If this were advertising, I would say "Yucch!" in a heartbeat. But it is a functional survey of the "fill in the blank" type and it is collected via e-mail, which limits your choices. It is not a sexy set of web "click on 1 to 10 in order to let us know how bad this makes you want to puke, with 1 being OK and 10 being - I had to clean myself up before I could click on the answer."

So maybe you are using the wrong set of criteria to judge it. Just a thought, not a certainty, and of course it is YOUR project so must meet your standards. But I always look to the purpose and the intended audience/user base. If a form isn't pretty, your users won't use it happily. I understand that much. But if you make it functional enough that they can use it for the intended purpose and CLOSE the darned thing and get on with something else, that is NOT a bad thing.

Cronk

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 22:14
In recent years, I'm finding the practice is becoming the use of so called "smart forms" on web sites, the way of collecting information or inputting of applications, with the data then being transmitted via XML files for importing into the database.

The smart form, while not that smart, normally has some data rules/validation or drop downs. This eliminates typos in important fields. For example, while there can be no check on the spelling of Surname, drop downs will prevent mis-typing of towns.

While the sample template does not have such fields, another problem with free forms is users inputting non valid data in date or numeric fields. So instead of "How many people?:", the response is 10 - 20 or a date being March 2018.

However, to answer your question about how to format your email, you will need to generate HTML to use in the body of the email.

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 04:14
Which wizard did you use - Collect Data?

Cronk

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 22:14
Which wizard did you use - Collect Data?

Me? I've not done any work on the web server. Others handle that and provide the data as a PDF and XML file attachments of an email. The database extracts the information and displays information on the screen for the user to confirm before data is saved to tables.

I have not used any wizard, but use my own routines to extract XML data.

bobunknown

Registered User.
Local time
Other than frilly fancy borders and elegant fonts, changing this requires YOU to answer a question: Does this get the job done?

Also doc, yes it is functional as is but it isn't the most user friendly interface. Ideally I would want to add annotations and explanations, move relevant fields closer together i.e address. This isn't simply for my vanity but to make it on the whole a more user friendly experience.

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 04:14
Then I don't think you can use Collect Data wizard. You would have to do something like what Cronk described.

bobunknown

Registered User.
Local time
Then I don't think you can use Collect Data wizard. You would have to do something like what Cronk described

Il have to do some research then, at the moment its not essential im more just tinkering out of curiosity and thought id see if anyone had any experience/ideas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom