Combo Box doesn't go away (1 Viewer)

SusanCB

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:28
Hi, all -- I have a combo box on a form that lets the user select one or more locations using a checkbox. However, when the user makes his or her selections and clicks "OK," the combo box doesn't go away. Any thoughts on what might be causing this? Thanks!

Last edited:

John Big Booty

AWF VIP
Local time
Tomorrow, 04:28
How do you mean the Combo Box doesn't go away :confused:

I'm also curious as to how you have managed to set a Combo Box up to allow multiple selection from check boxes :eek:

This speaks of some serious structural problems in your DB.

SusanCB

Registered User.
Local time
Perhaps, but the checkboxes-in-combo-box method has worked perfectly on another form in the same database. (The settings are identical, so I am really not sure what's happening.) The user can check a selection(s) -- i.e., Bronx and Brooklyn -- and a check mark shows up in the appropriate box. But when he/she clicks "OK," nothing happens. (Clicking "Cancel" works.)

SusanCB

Registered User.
Local time
OK, I'm not sure why this worked, but I just updated the link between the affected table in my back-end database, and the form and combo box now function perfectly. Thanks anyway.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Today, 11:28
I'm also curious as to how you have managed to set a Combo Box up to allow multiple selection from check boxes :eek:
P - it is in Access 2007 or 2010 where you have multi-valued fields (which most of us abhor). :)

SusanCB

Registered User.
Local time
Yes, I'm using Access 2007. Apologies if I have somehow behaved abhorrently.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Apologies if I have somehow behaved abhorrently.
You are just using what Microsoft provided, however most of the professional developers here abhor what Microsoft has done in regards to adding things like mult-valued fields and other things which make it SEEM easy to use but then when you get into them, you find that it is a pain in the backside to actually use them efficiently where if you used a different approach, and resisted the lure of the "eye candy" which they have provided, it would turn out to be easier to deal with when you need to get the data back out in a query and such.

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 19:28
Is check box functionality within a Combo an '07 too :eek:
We can only wish. :) It pops up when you click on a Multivalued field but the actual control is hidden and is not available in the Toolbox or as an ActiveX control. I remember needing to create one like this.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Is check box functionality within a Combo an '07 too :eek:

Yes, it is. Like this:

Attachments

• multivalued01.png
    multivalued01.png
    13.9 KB · Views: 231

John Big Booty

AWF VIP
Local time
Hi Bob, I've just been having a fool around with my version 0f '07, and I'm unable to find the multi-select option for Combo Boxes or get a functional Check box in a Combo. Where are these feature hidden :confused:

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Hi Bob, I've just been having a fool around with my version 0f '07, and I'm unable to find the multi-select option for Combo Boxes or get a functional Check box in a Combo. Where are these feature hidden :confused:
P:

What you would do is to go add your field using number and set it as a lookup field (hence not good), and in the lookup tab you would set the multivalue property to yes.

John Big Booty

AWF VIP
Local time
P:

What you would do is to go add your field using number and set it as a lookup field (hence not good), and in the lookup tab you would set the multivalue property to yes.

Well, that's satisfied my curiosity, and explains why I couldn't see any of those things when I was setting up as I normally would :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom