ComboBox DropDown List Prob on Form (1 Viewer)

Seibert

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:56
I've seen a lot of discussion on ComboBox showing ID rather than text and ways to fix that, but my problem is the opposite. My ComboBox is showing the correct information but when the DropDown list is shown the first column has the Person's name just fine, but the other columns in the dropdown list just show ID's to their related fields.

I have Fields in my Combo DropDown on a form as NameEmp, TruckEmp, and TrailerEmp. The information is coming from table called Employees. On the Employees Table TruckEmp and TrailerEmp are ComboBoxes pulling values from another table EQ. Both the Real Truck and the Trailer numbers are in the same column on EQ in a field called UnitEQ and the table has IDEQ as primary key.

If I delete the relationships Employee-EQ and just put in my Truck and Trailer numbers on the table, the dropdown list on the form will display correctly but then it will not auto populate other Truck and Trailer fields on my form (which are also comboboxes) on after update. With the relationships intact, the auto populate works fine but then my dropdown list shows the ID of the Truck and Trailer rather than the Unit#. The Form is actually supplying another table for job details and I am trying to auto populate the truck and trailer that an employee normally will use but still allow the flexibility for an employee to use a different truck or trailer as needed.

Thanks in advance for any fixes or suggestions!
...Chris

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 02:56
Chris,
Suggest you post a jpg of your tables and relationships( in a zip file) and tell us about the business. I am not following your set up, but will ask if you have any Lookup fields in your Tables?
If so, you might want to read this.

Good luck with your project.

Seibert

Registered User.
Local time
Yes the table has a look up field on it. I read that link before and some other stuff before about the drawbacks of doing that. The problem I have about removing the look up field from the table is the auto populating additional combo boxes on a parent form from the first combo box on a sub form. With the look up field on the table my auto populate works perfectly on the form.
Another peculiar item to my problem is if I click on the run on the query builder for the combo box my truck number and trailer number appear as they should, but then on the form and you click on the drop-down list it showing only the ID numbers in the multiple columns of that list

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 14:56
open your combos rowsource in design view.
if there is only one EQ table showing,
add another EQ table.
Relate TruckEmp field to IDEQ of EQ table.
Relate TrailerEmp field to IDEQ of second EQ Table.

add an expression to your Query (window below).

Field: Truck:UnitEQ
Table: EQ

Field: Trailer: UnitQE
Table the name of second EQ table in design view

Seibert

Registered User.
Local time
Adding the Second Eq table worked. Yesterday when I was trying I kept getting a data type mismatch when I was trying to do it with one table in the query. A little sleep, fresh eyes and some good advice goes a long way...Thanks again for your help.
...Chris

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 14:56
you're welcome Chris!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom