Compact on close (1 Viewer)

RussG

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 19:21
Hi - I have read conflicting advice on this so wondered what members of the forum would recommend. I have a multi user DB , no more than half a dozen users. DB will be FE/BE and I have set the DB to compact on close. Obviously if another user has the db open this process won't complete. Are there any issues with this, possible corruption?

Thanks
RussG

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Today, 11:21
Russ:

The frontends should all reside on each users computer and therefore it would not conflict with anyone. Do not go with a shared frontend as it makes making updates a pain and it greatly increases your potential for corruption.

As for the backend, you will need to do some maintenance on it about once a week to compact it. There is code out there for compacting the backend too, but all users will need to be out of their frontends to do it.

RussG

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks Bob, that's very helpful.
RussG

RussG

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks for your message David , this leads me back to my comment in the original post about conflicting advice on this issue.

RussG

burrcm

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 04:21
It is bound to fail/corrupt eventually, so best not to use it. Always safer to copy then compact. You can do this with a scheduled task. If it is the BE you have set to compact on close however, this will only occur if you open it. Having a linked FE open and close will not trigger it. If you are doing it to the FE's it doesn't matter too much, provided you have a master copy available for the users to replace theirs with. FE without tables won't (shouldn't) bloat much though. Even then, a scheduled task to replace their copies with the master copy would be more reliable.

Chris B

dsfcom

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:21
Good discussion...

I've used compact on close for several years with no problems. The only complaints I've received are that it takes a bit longer to close the db (obviously) and if the user tries to open the db back up straight away and the compact hasn't completed yet, they get a message stating that the db is in use and to try again. Other than that, no lost data or corruption has occured. I do believe, however, that the copy method may be faster depending on where the FE is being copied from. But as far as safer, I'd have to differ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom