Compact resulting in copies on the network (1 Viewer)

Myriad_Rocker

Questioning Reality
Local time
Today, 09:08
I tried the search and while I found some things related to my issue, I couldn't really come to a conclusion on my issue.

I have all the databases on the network set to compact on close. This is resulting in a new copy of the compacted database with the generic "db1.mdb" file name every time the db is compacted. It also does not compact the correct one.

So, basically...it is copying the db, compacting it, but not deleting the old one and renaming the new one.

If I copy the database to my hard drive, it compacts, deletes, and renames sucessfully.

The only thing I can think of at this point is there's some issue with the server. But this is happening on multiple servers.

KeithG

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 07:08
Could it be possible users are going into the task manager and ending the Access processes in the middle of the compact?

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
Today, 15:08
Do you just have the DB(s) on the network server. If so It may be that another user is trying to use the DB before the compact has finished.

Since you haven't fully described your set up I would reccomend you split your DB into FE/BE with a copy of the FE(containing Queries,Reports,Forms) on each user's computer and the BE(containing the tables) on the server. This generally makes for a more stable set-up

Myriad_Rocker

Questioning Reality
Local time
It's only me that is using them. I have them on the network because the network gets backed up every night.

rsmonkey

Registered User.
Local time
when you try to compact & repair a db if it is corrupt in any way then it will automatically create a backup file.. Your best bet is to rebuild the db imo...

Myriad_Rocker

Questioning Reality
Local time
when you try to compact & repair a db if it is corrupt in any way then it will automatically create a backup file.. Your best bet is to rebuild the db imo...
That might be likely if it wasn't EVERY database that I have on the network doing the same thing.

Besides, it would give it the original name and stick "_Backup" on the end of it. It doesn't do that.

KeithG

AWF VIP
Local time
Can you delete files from the network? Maybe your user acct does not have privilages to delete files.

amarkmac

A. Mark Macias
Local time
I'm running into exactly the same problem, but it didn't start until I upgraded from 2003 to 2007. After some experimentation, I discovered that it doesn't matter whether I'm working with an mdb or an accdb file, but whether they are located on a network share or my local drive. I'm guessing this is a new bug in 2007, since I've been compacting my mdbs on a network share for several years, now. :mad:

However, I'm hoping that perhaps it's not a bug, but some new setting, hidden somewhere, that needs to be changed.......please make it so......

Myriad_Rocker

Questioning Reality
Local time
Can you delete files from the network? Maybe your user acct does not have privilages to delete files.
Sure can. I go in and delete all the copies. Just to properly compact, I have to copy to my local and then compact. Then I replace the compacted file on the network.

Myriad_Rocker

Questioning Reality
Local time
I'm running into exactly the same problem, but it didn't start until I upgraded from 2003 to 2007. After some experimentation, I discovered that it doesn't matter whether I'm working with an mdb or an accdb file, but whether they are located on a network share or my local drive. I'm guessing this is a new bug in 2007, since I've been compacting my mdbs on a network share for several years, now. :mad:

However, I'm hoping that perhaps it's not a bug, but some new setting, hidden somewhere, that needs to be changed.......please make it so......
I'm still on 2003 and this is happening... :(

Big Pat

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:08
Did anybody ever come up with a resolution to this? The same thing is happening to ALL my databases on a shared network. Nearly all of mine have a FE/BE set up and it's only ever the front ends that I compact, and i get all these "db1"s that i then have to manually rename, after deleting the old uncompacted version.

Our IT dept can't seem to figure out the answer either. We're all using Access 2003, most on WinXP Professional, but some (I think) still on Win2000 Professional

MStCyr

Local time
Today, 10:08
Hello

What happens when you Compact the file on your local C:\ drive?

Maurice

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom