Company wont hire programmers with tatoo (policy) (1 Viewer)

RainLover

VIP From a land downunder
Local time
Today, 23:27
G'Day Rabbie.

Actually I was thinking of a different Rabbie.
This one was a bit of a poet.
Some orgainisation celebrate his birthday.
A good time is had by one and all.

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
Today, 14:27
G'Day Rabbie.

Actually I was thinking of a different Rabbie.
This one was a bit of a poet.
Some orgainisation celebrate his birthday.
A good time is had by one and all.
I knew that. That's why I used a smiley.

I do enjoy my Burns night parties:)

RainLover

VIP From a land downunder
Local time
Today, 23:27
I knew that. That's why I used a smiley.

I do enjoy my Burns night parties:)

I wondered why you answer was such. :eek:

rodmc

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:27
Force down the whisky - you'll then love anything and everything.

haha, drank plenty whisky when I was younger and had a bad experience with it, never again, even the smell of it takes me back to that "experience" :(

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Today, 14:27
haha, drank plenty whisky when I was younger and had a bad experience with it, never again, even the smell of it takes me back to that "experience" :(

Probably Walkers Red Label, enough to make any body ill.

Brian

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Today, 09:27
I prefer my bourbon whiskey. I'm a Maker's Mark drinker myself.

utrulez

Registered User.
Local time
Why do most posts I read in here turn to disscussion of alcohol??

spikepl

Eledittingent Beliped
Local time
Today, 15:27
@utrulez - is pot your preference?

utrulez

Registered User.
Local time
haha not since a few years... but what I meant is I start reading a thread, and it always goes sideways. It was just an observation haha

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Access drives you to drink? :D

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Today, 07:27
Thought I would check in on this thread that I started.
My smart phone got too heavy to lift due to all the responses from this thread waiting to be emptied. LOL

For a group that promotes PaperLess - the INK seemed to be a hot topic.
Who would have THUNK? (as in Thunking layer programming)

deltaegychem

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:27
You need to learn respect.

Firstly to your own body by not defacing it, and secondly to your employer who not only wants you to do be good at your job but to be seen to be good.

I would not dare to turn up for a job interview without a haircut and clean shaven. My shoes polished and I would be dressed in a suit and tie.

I have owned and managed various companies over my years. I have employed many persons but I have never employed an obviously tattooed person nor would I employ a person with ridiculous ear rings.

If you feel that I am prejudiced have a look at the of industry and the people that they employ as their key personnel.

I work for allmost 25 years I meet a many people from various companies every day no one have tattooed

sgbotsford

Registered User.
Local time
Narrow minded. Why would you care?

Can the guy write software? That is the crucial factor. Junior programmers are never seen by the public. Hire him. Let him know that he can't be promoted to a position that has public exposure until he gets the tattoo removed if you care.

You know, while I cannot personally say I've encountered any character flaws that I can ascribe to having a tattoo, I do have my prejudices: I won't hire anyone who shows up in a tie. Consider, who wears ties:

* politicians
* used car salesmen
* lawyers
* Presbyterian and pentalcostal clergy
* bureaucrats
* school teachers
* diplomats

Obviously a tie is a license to lie. Why would I hire someone who is so likely to be untrustworthy? Indeed, showing up in a tie is instant grounds for dismissal.

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
In the West - Black Cats are considered as bad luck.
In the Orient - Black Cats are considered as good luck.
Guess it is all in your perspective.

Glad I don't wear a tie. Still hang on to my lucky Nehru Jacket.

IAmNotABot

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:27
I am not one bit suprised to hear they would mention no tats. I do not have one myself, nor am I offened my anyone else having one. I understand the reasons, but do not agree with them.

This all stems from each individual's perspective on what is right and wrong. Companies keep things neutral, to prevent others from being offended.

I could mention that I have gone to many interviews, and if I thought for a moment that I was not hired based on what they see then my skills (that would show what I can bring to the table) were a second priority.

I have been growing my hair long for many decades. When I cut it about every 2-3 years, it is not short for long. Majority of the time it is pulled back, and when I am in nice clothes-only a single hair tie. The longest it has been was the small of my back. There are many who would rather judge for what they see, then to ask about it. These individuals is the reason why companies keep in neutral.

I grow my hair to donate to locks of love, for cancer kids to have a wig to wear. Trust me when I say, there is NO negative words that could ever be said to cancel even one smile that I have seen over the last 25+ years I have been doing this.

jefnelson

Registered User.
Local time
I worked at a, state licensed, federally funded, substance abuse treatment facility and they wouldn't permit employees to wear their "face" jewelry. They would hire them, but they had to remove it, leaving holes in noses and oddly sagging earlobes. I am personally without additional holes in my head (maybe because I was always told, "You need that, like another hole in your head") but I'm not offended by it or tattoos. Some folks are. There is a study that links tattoos to drug use, so they may have a healthcare/productivity angle backed by evidence.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
While I don't have tattoos and don't dress in a slovenly fashion, neither am I a "fashionista" who wears expensive suits and such. I get the job done. I clean up for interviews but I also make it clear in the interview that if I am being hired to perform in a dog-and-pony show, I get dog-and-pony show salaries. If I am being hired to make code work, pay me for that job and take the dog-and-pony show elsewhere.

Since I've got code that has been running without error for (in some cases) over 20 years (on my mainframe at my day job), I can get the message across.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom