Conditional drop-down lists with spaces? (1 Viewer)

reyes

Local time
Today, 15:51
Hi all,

I'm not amazing with excel but I'm desperately trying to achieve something for my work.

I have two drop-down boxes, the second of which has different options based on the first selected (sounds simple so far!). My issue is, I'm using the INDIRECT function, and getting the second drop down results based on naming a group of cells (which has to match the items in the first list), but because you can't name a group of cells with spaces, the first of the two drop-downs has to show two words up together such as TeamOne, instead of Team One.

I've rambled, but if anyone can advise on how to get past this, it would be great! I've searched high and low for a way to avoid it, but also achieve what I'm after and I've been unusucessful.

Help appreciated.

Jon

accesso

Local time
Today, 16:51
Hi reyes

I am not sure if you're on the right place. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. This is a forum about MS Access not MS Excel.

Check this forum: excelforum (dot) com

Cheers
accesso

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Today, 15:51
Although mainly an Access forum the site has sub forums for other software including Excel.

Brian

Ps I don't know the answer to the question. :eek:

NBVC

Only trying to help
Local time
Today, 10:51
You can use the SUBSTITUTE function to remove the space for this if I understand correctly

e.g.

=INDIRECT(SUBSTITUTE(A1," ",""))

So if A1 contains Team One, then this function will "virtually" convert that to TeamOne so that you can view a list named TeamOne.

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Today, 08:51
Is the drop down an Excel Control or the in-cell drop down from the Data menu?
Re: can't use the Named Range for empty cells
Are you using the named range?
I do this for the in-Cell List often.
See attached for in-Cell List using Data Validation and a Named Range

Please provide a little more information, I am interested in what you are trying to accomplish.

B.T.W. One of my favorite excel sites is Mr. Excel
... hum maybe for me.. it is Mr. Excel
as in "to you Rx_ that would be 'Mr. Excel'"

Attachments

• ExcelDataValidationList.png
    ExcelDataValidationList.png
    5 KB · Views: 256

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom