Conditional formatting - what's wrong with me? (1 Viewer)

Mal Ba

Local time
Today, 00:38
My first introduction to this forum but I need a bit of help on conditional formatting.

I have a calculated field in a report: =IIf([2018-19D] Is Null,"0",[2018-19D]) & "+" & IIf([2018-19S] Is Null,"0",[2018-19S])
which, pretty obvously appears, on the form as something like this 0+0, or 1+0, or 0+2 ... you get the idea.

I want to colour the text box (the text box is called [Flag]) in green if the first entry (from the field is [2018-19D] is >0
If I use the following condition on the field [2018-19D] : Value>0 it works to colour that field green but
if I use the following expression on the field [Flag] : [2018-19D]>0 it does not colour the flag field green.

I've also tried the following expressions on the[Flag] field just in case: [2018-19D]<>"0", and CDbl([2018-19D])>0
and I've tried Left([Flag],1)<>"0" as well
but these have no effect either.

I'm obviously missing something, but what?

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
You put the condition on the Flag control.?
Use the expression option and perhaps
Code:
[2018-19D]<>0

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 17:38
Hi. Welcome to AWF!

I agree. You apply the conditional format to the control you want to highlight, not the one you're checking.

Mal Ba

Local time
The condition is on the Flag control, the Expression option was what was being used, sorry if I was confusing.
Addendum: if I set up another unbound control called [Blank] and put [2018-19D]>0 into the expression for CF for that, it works
If I put [2018-19D]>0 into the expression for the [Flag] control which has a calculated field in it, as above, it doesn't.

Mal Ba

Local time
Hi. Welcome to AWF!

I agree. You apply the conditional format to the control you want to highlight, not the one you're checking.
I was: the conditional form is applied to the control I want to highlight [Flag] not the one I am checking. I am putting the Expression CF into the [Flag] control which I want to highlight. The Expression being used is: [2018-19D]>0. Regardless of the value of [2018-19D] the conditional format is not applied to the control.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
I was: the conditional form is applied to the control I want to highlight [Flag] not the one I am checking. I am putting the Expression CF into the [Flag] control which I want to highlight. The Expression being used is: [2018-19D]>0. Regardless of the value of [2018-19D] the conditional format is not applied to the control.
Just for fun, try:

Expression Is: Val([2018-19D])>0

Mal Ba

Local time
Addendum: If I delete the formula: =IIf([2018-19D] Is Null,"0",[2018-19D]) & "+" & IIf([2018-19S] Is Null,"0",[2018-19S]) from the Control Source property of the control, the conditional formatting works. With the formula in the control, it does not. The work around I have used is to use a separate unbound control behind the [Flag] control which contains the CF, with the bound [Flag] control (with a transparent background) on top. This gives the effect required. I would love to know however why you can't put a CF in the bound field.

I have now hit an even odder problem (I don't remember Access being this buggy) which I will post separately, because it is leading me to wonder whether I (or anybody) should rely on Access at all - so I really would like an answer to that one, plese

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Perhaps Access cannot determine the value of that formula, but needs a hard coded value?
So put a hidden control on the form which refers to that control with the formula, and use that in the CF?

Mal Ba

Local time
Perhaps Access cannot determine the value of that formula, but needs a hard coded value?
So put a hidden control on the form which refers to that control with the formula, and use that in the CF?
That's what I have done. See the post directly before yours, where I said I'd done that as a work-around. Work arounds shouldn't be needed though especially when one doesn't know why: I guess it does think the formula is too complicated. Maybe something to do with the order things are evaluated on the form. Can't find a reference to that in any documentation though. Still we do have a work around.

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 08:38
IIf([2018-19D] Is Null,
I think "Is Null" only works in SQL statement.
if you want to test the field, use IsNull():
-
IIf(IsNull([2018-19D]), "0", ...

Mal Ba

Local time
No. Both work. I also tried both, just in case.

bastanu

AWF VIP
Local time
Just wondering what happens if you try this formula instead:
=Nz([2018-19D])+Nz([2018-19S]) (which is equivalent to =Nz([2018-19D],0)+Nz([2018-19S],0))
with your original one I believe you end up with a string ("0") that you try to compare against a number (0).
Cheers,

Mal Ba

Local time
Nice idea and thanks, tried it and it makes no difference; still doesn't register make the CF work. I'd also tried comparing it with 0 and "0" as well as null but still it doesn't do anything. Putting the CF into a separate control seems to be (oddly) the only way.

bastanu

AWF VIP
Local time
Strange as I have just tested a similar formula and seems to be working for me.
Cheers,
Vlad

Attachments

• TestCF.accdb
    412 KB · Views: 338

Mal Ba

Local time
Definitely not working for me. It is odd, because I would have expected it to. I've now found another instance of a person on the web having the same problem with Access 2016 (though I am using Office 365) and an example on https://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=72751 . Neither seemed to be resolved and other people did not seem to be able to replicate the issue every time. It looks like a bug. Typical though that the first time I try to do something in Access for about 5 years, I hit what looks like a bug. That just about sums life up. As I say, I have a work-around of putting the CF in a different control to that containing the formula for the RecordSource and overlaying the two. So I think I am going to have to go with that. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom