Conflicting Inserts? (1 Viewer)

Matt Greatorex

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:47
I have an application set up as follows:

Live front end in one network folder, accessible by all users.
Development front end in another folder accessible only by myself (changes imported into Live as and when necessary).
Back end in another folder accessed by both front ends.

One of the tables contains orders made by various people. The way the data entry form is set up is that, once a person's ID has been entered, all previous orders are displayed in a sub form at the bottom of the screen.

I'm noticing that, if two people are entering new records into it via two different PCs, it sometimes happens that one person can see an inserted record, only for it to later vanish from both the form and the underlying table. There is no pattern to these 'disappearances', but it's obviously concerning.

Possibly more worrying is that, from time to time, all records for the person being updated are being lost, not just the most recent entries being made.

I have the database set to Record Level Locking. Can anyone suggest anything else I should be looking out for or should have done?

The only other thing I can think of is that I sometimes enter records from the development version, while it is open in development mode, with just the data entry form being out of design mode. Would that make a difference? If so, why?

I'm stumped here.:confused:

Banana

split with a cherry atop.
Local time
Today, 11:47
I'm not sure about the problems you described, but I'd want my nightly build to be entirely independent of the live version. However unlikely it may, you do no want to accidentally screw up the entire database when you were designing in your development FE.

Also, have you looked up bugs with Access? I seems to recall a bug about losing records... Here's a good list

Matt Greatorex

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:47
Yep, should have had the two separated all along :eek: , but as soon as I realised there was a problem, I did so. Rest assured, it won't be a mistake i make twice.

Thanks for the link, hopefully it will turn something up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom