Continued theology discussion... Not sure what to call this really.... (1 Viewer)

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:40
I've told my mother not to loiter outside the pearly gates 'cause it sounds to me there could be an almighty punch up between those that claim to have legitimate entry tickets and those those who got them on the black market:eek:

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
I've told my mother not to loiter outside the pearly gates 'cause it sounds to me there could be an almighty punch up between those that claim to have legitimate entry tickets and those those who got them on the black market:eek:

Perhaps it'll be like Woodstock and they'll just let everyone in anyway. :cool:

c_smithwick

Underpaid Programmer
Local time
Today, 09:40
Thanks for the entertainment all - I'm off to fan some flames elsewhere, but in closing, I heard a few good ones worth sharing:

- Abstinence makes the church grow fondlers.
- Honk if your religious beliefs make you an asshole.
- "Worship me or I will torture you forever! Have a nice day!" - God
- If Jesus is inside me, I hope he likes fajitas ’cause that’s what he’s getting!
- If There is No God, Then What Makes the Next Kleenex Pop Up?
- Cheeses Is Lard. Argue With THAT If You Can.
- Cheeses Dried Foyer Shins. Praise the Lard.
- Jesus is Coming? Don't Swallow That.
- GOD - APPLY DIRECTLY TO FOREHEAD!
- God + Whacky Tobacky = Platypus
- When the Rapture Comes, We'll Get Our Country Back!
- I Love Christians. They Taste Like Chicken.
- "Intelligent Design" Helping Stupid People Feel Smart Since 1987
- I Gave Up Superstitious Mumbo Jumbo For Lent
- My Flying Monkey Can Beat Up Your Guardian Angel
- I Forget - Which Day Did God Make All The Fossils?

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Today, 12:40
It looks like you guys have been busy today...

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
I've never lived in Oz but when I holidayed (sp) there I never saw anybody spit. When were you there Col, we were there in 2005 and I wondered if had changed.

Brian

Normally Brian although you have travelled extensively - you have only found use for a foreign language a handful of times - so I doubt your getting the same real look at the countries your visiting - certainly not like living there for a time anyhow. I think Col may know better.

I would have suspected true to type you may have tried talking English at these Aussies - which they dont really speak - they talk Australian - and they are not particalularly keen on things that are not of them - and the natural response of the Aussie is to spit. But that doesn't seem to have been the case.

So perhaps as usual - you avoided the locals. The ones not exactly like yourself anyway. Which would explain why you missed it.

You see, just because you have been to Paris and ordered Le Big Mac - doesn't mean you have an understanding of French lifestyle.

So you need to ditch your Royal Tour with Trafalger - and get some real experience as Col has. The country hasn't changed - you just obviuosly haven't really experienced it.

Australia is a fine country, with great people in my opinion, but they spit like troopers, thats obvious to even the most casual visitor.

Personnally I think its the wine.

I did see a bit of spitting in Singapore - which did surprise me. But then its full of Aussies isn't it.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Normally Brian although you have travelled extensively - you have only found use for a foreign language a handful of times - so I doubt your getting the same real look at the countries your visiting - certainly not like living there for a time anyhow. I think Col may know better.

I asked col because of his experience, we all only have our own experiences to draw on, we cannot all live everywhere. Even in this country I have no experience of living on a sink estate, town centre terrace or country estate.

Oh by the way, we stayed with Aussie friends, I think that counts as meeting the locals.

Brian

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
It's not a team I normally follow, don't think I'll bother again:D

You should have asked, I would have told you that Liverpool are playing boring C*$p this year, We have been going slowly down hill since a certain Spaniard took over, with just the odd moment to sustain the fans.

Brian

Adam Caramon

Local time

haha. I like that one.

All in all, religious people and non-religious people will never be able to reconcile their differences (nor one religion against another). Luckily most countries have a separation of church and state, and we have the Rule of Law.

I think what I have found most interesting is how much religion (particularly Christianity) has changed throughout the years. More and more people are leaving organized religion, and the church is trying its hardest to retain people. They are trying to become more modern, relaxing some of their more strict rules, etc.

Most people I know today that profess themself to be Christians know less about Christianity than I do, and my only involvement has been studying the bible and religion as an academic subject.

I know Catholics who believe in abortion, stem-cell research, and birth control, yet they still call themselves Catholics.

I know Christians who never go to church, don't know the first thing about the bible, and still call themselves Christians.

In the end, when you collect the religious components from all religions that we (humans) can mostly agree on, you end up with something close to Humanism. Which is the direction I think we're all heading, and I think we'll all be better off for it.

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
I asked col because of his experience, we all only have our own experiences to draw on, we cannot all live everywhere. Even in this country I have no experience of living on a sink estate, town centre terrace or country estate.

Oh by the way, we stayed with Aussie friends, I think that counts as meeting the locals.

Brian

Did you meet them on previous tour? Anyway - where abouts - any good?

Alc

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks for the entertainment all - I'm off to fan some flames elsewhere, but in closing, I heard a few good ones worth sharing:

- Honk if your religious beliefs make you an asshole.
- "Worship me or I will torture you forever! Have a nice day!" - God
- If Jesus is inside me, I hope he likes fajitas ’cause that’s what he’s getting!
- If There is No God, Then What Makes the Next Kleenex Pop Up?
- Cheeses Is Lard. Argue With THAT If You Can.
- Cheeses Dried Foyer Shins. Praise the Lard.
- Jesus is Coming? Don't Swallow That.
- GOD - APPLY DIRECTLY TO FOREHEAD!
- God + Whacky Tobacky = Platypus
- When the Rapture Comes, We'll Get Our Country Back!
- I Love Christians. They Taste Like Chicken.
- "Intelligent Design" Helping Stupid People Feel Smart Since 1987
- I Gave Up Superstitious Mumbo Jumbo For Lent
- My Flying Monkey Can Beat Up Your Guardian Angel
- I Forget - Which Day Did God Make All The Fossils?
I saw one yesterday that I found amusing:
"Jesus loves you (but I'm his favourite)"

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
Why do so many of them visit us here then?:confused:

but they spit like troopers, thats obvious to even the most casual visitor.
Is that why they have to return home quickly?

With the risk of sounding like Gorden Brown - i million come here - 1 million go there.

I can only think those that come here - come to see you Rich.

I'm led to beleive not many of them are Catholics or Muslims so it shouldn't be a problem to you should it?

They can pull a decent pint.

ShaneMan

Registered User.
Local time
Belief does not equate to proof of validity. Ultimately, no one is an authority as to what really happened in our history other than those who were there as eyewitnesses, and even eyewitness testimony has been shown to be some of the most unreliable. And before you start your reply with the well worn "Divinely Inspired" argument, realize that unless you yourself have been directly contacted, the claim of divine inspiration is based upon the belief in someone else who told you it was divinely inspired, and their belief is based in turn on someone who told them. The argument begins to get thinner and thinner as the progression continues. Faith is by definition a belief in something for which there is no proof, so to ask someone to have faith while at the same time offering "proofs" for why your belief is correct begins to make you look silly. If there really was VALID proof then faith would not be neccessary. Quoting scripture falls short of providing a good argument in that in order for the writings you quote to be a valid argument, then by definition they must be held up as some standard of truth. To be accepted as a standard of truth, they must be accepted as divinely inspired and without falacy. To be accepted as divinely inspired requires faith that God/The Great Spaghetti Monster/Whomever inspired and ensured they remained true throughout numerous translations by fallible humans, and as faith by definiton requires no proof, then this argument begins to be very CIRCULAR!! Believe as you may, that is your perogative, but tread lightly when you seek to support your argument as being the correct one to someone else and make sure you haven't "brought a knife to a gunfight".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell's_teapot

and wouldn't your same argument, that you have used against Kryst, also work against you? No one has a perfect list of facts that is not based on eyewitnesses who could possibly get it wrong. Doesn't all of us bring a "knife to a gunfight"? You used bulling tactics on Kryst that come across as if you are trying to intimidate her, yet all she was trying to do is be honest in telling us what she believes. She didn't ask you to believe it, she was just expressing what she believes. You said "Christians amuse you" well you non-believers amuse me. You jump around with your intellectual kung-fu (to decoy with your see how smart I am) but you do not produce enough facts, just arguments. Your facts and arguments have as many holes in them as religious folks do, but somehow or another your right and they are wrong. I am impressed by a number of folks intelligence, on this board, and some of them caused me to listen to them (and challenges me to research what they are saying) due to their intelligence but more importantly, their demeanor is what caused me to listen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom