Coronavirus - are we all doomed? (2 Viewers)

deletedT

Local time
Today, 06:33
Does he mean Wear by Where?
Or is it my English is rusting?

Tell the idiot your president doesn't wear mask and causes 308124 infections and 8392 deaths till now and God knows how many more to come,
And Korea and Japan's president persuade people to use masks and reduce it to 2939 infections and 69 death.
Oh...wait. Maybe we have Samurai DNA and the virus has no effect on us and we think it's because of wearing masks.

Edit: It won't be a surprise if US ends up removing masks of the doctors during a surgery. Because it seems that wearing mask has no effect.

Last edited:

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 01:33
Your english is fine Tera. He's a comedian mocking stupid people, so yes he means wear but is spelling it where.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 22:33
I was going to say he's an actor pretending to be ignorant. Still not as scary as a room full of sterile masks in less than ideal conditions. Notice the date on the table

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:33
Because it seems that wearing mask has no effect.

If that was because of something I said, Tera, then please allow me to qualify the statement. Wearing the wrong level of masks has almost no effect. Masks have a certain porosity that will block things above a certain size. Common gauze masks are ineffective because their porosity is too high. Masks that have HEPA filters over a respirator set-up are certainly effective. Surgeons do not usually wear the wrong kind of mask.

It has been shown that it is better to wash your hands than to depend on the wrong quality of mask. If you are infected, the wrong kind of mask might still help someone else if you sneeze into it because it would catch expelled droplets of saliva or mucus. But it wouldn't protect you if someone else who was infected was coughing and sneezing around you.

The reason that washing your hands works so well is the tendency of people to touch their own faces frequently. If you wash your hands, you reduce the odds of secondary transfer - where your hands touched an infected surface and then you touched your face.

Last edited:

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I have copied my post from another thread because it is coronavirus related and full of what I consider to be important information. Here it is...

The whole masks fiasco has been a shambles. The messages coming out are confusing and disingenuous. I have talked about masks in several posts of mine, but with so many messages on this topic, it is hard to know a) who to believe, and b) to read them all.

My view is that masks are critical in the fight against this disease for a number of reasons. Let me list some:
  • If an infected person wears a mask, you reduce the risk of them passing the disease onto someone else. That lowers the coefficient of the number of people infected by an already infected person. That coefficient is critical to the rate of spread. So wear the damn mask!
  • "But I am not infected!" How do you know? There is a 4 to 14 day incubation period where you have no symptoms. While incubating, you can shed the virus and infect others. Get that mask on!
  • "But I still don't think I am infected." Around 20% of people are thought to have no symptoms at all, even while infected. During this period, you can infect others. Wear the mask!
  • There is evidence to suggest that surgical masks reduce risk to catching the virus during short term use, if used correctly. The n95 respirator types are highly effective, else why do the medics wear them?
  • Look at the overall package of measures used in South Korea. They have been super-effective in controlling the virus. Just copy the entire package of measures since you know that collection works. Who cares if an individual measure they employ does not work. We don't have the time to measure everything without the body count piling up. Masks is part of that package.
  • New evidence has been presented to WHO this week who are debating the advice on mask use right now.
  • MIT has research that shows water droplets can travel 8m (roughly 24 feet) with coughing. That is way further than the 6 foot of social distancing recommended. Are the water droplets going to travel that far if you are wearing a surgical mask? I think not.
  • The suggestions on 6 foot of social distancing are weak. What if its windy and you are downwind? Six foot is not enough. You need way more distance. What if you are walking up steps, 6 foot from someone who coughs coming down the steps? The virus will travel further. Factor that in.
Mark my words, in the relatively near future, the WHO will be recommending everybody wears masks, as will the stance of governments in the West. Sometimes I think common sense in a crisis goes out the window.

My UK government is saying masks are not effective. In the same breath, they are saying we need them for health workers but there is a shortage. I'm sorry, but I am not an idiot. Either they work or they don't! They keep saying that they are using the BEST scientific evidence to guide their approach. But in the not too distant future, I would be very surprised if they didn't say this: " We now have the LATEST scientific evidence, and that is that if you have a mask, you should wear it." One month after that, they will be saying, "You must wear a mask if you want to protect yourself."

You could say I have no authority on the topic and the government is surrounded by smart advisors who are experts in the field. But let me give some facts:
  • I was banging on about this virus back in late January, asking if this is going to be like the Spanish Flu. Well, it is! Meanwhile, virtually nothing from the government.
  • When the UK government talked about the "herd immunity" approach, I calculated 400,000 dead and that their approach is utterly reckless. I was saying they have to shut everything down now. Three days later, the government switched their stance to a gradual shutdown. Imperial College London, who are advising the UK government, predicted 500,000 dead using the herd immunity approach.
  • Face masks...well, just wait and see on that one!
  • I calculated how rapid the rate of spread of the virus back in February before anyone in the UK was paying any attention. As mentioned on this forum, my local coffee shop employees probably thought I was a little eccentric, talking about the apocalpse. Well, perhaps they have changed their mind now. I expect a free coffee next time I go in!

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
I agree with pretty much everything you've said above Jon.
Misinformation from the government is not the only problem.
Not sure your familiar with a comedy show - "The Daily Show" - but they did a mash up posted below.
There is a great deal of discussion about what responsibility a certain news network should bear for their messaging which has a large following with the elderly .

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I am so pleased that damn Brexit is not on the news anymore. It was driving me nuts after years of it!

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Misinformation from the government is not the only problem.
The BBC in the UK spreads enough misinformation and they are supposedly independent.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
it's not worth it. sorry. =)
That is the exact comment I was expecting from you, I ask a direct question and you feebly squirm out of it. I thank you for being totally predictable and transparent.
Now return to your bridge until you can post something sensible.
Col

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
We can also point out that Fox New's biggest competitor, CNN, had 24//7 coverage of Trumps guilt for colluding with Russia and that ran for years. All shown to be fake news in the end.

Edit: Just to add, as mentioned in another post, even our independent BBC is misrepresenting information, and our government.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Now return to your bridge until you can post something sensible.
how about this, brit?
your comment about "me being predictable" will probably be the source for most of the false prophecies described so well by the king thousands of years ago
just make sure you don't get out of control with what you think you know, wise one. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Edit: Just to add, as mentioned in another post, even our independent BBC is misrepresenting information, and our government.
I wouldn't think that the BBC would do this. they have always seemed legit to me. on a side note Jon, speaking of falseness and fakes, I routinely get visits to my homepage and skills page from ip addresses like this one:

perhaps my evil smile is an attraction?

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
That sounds like the government spying on you.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
check this out @Jon :

those records are pretty good indicators that I'm attracting attention for some reason. be it from governments, criminals, or anyone else that want to know what the hell I'm doing. I'm not too worried about it though, as i'm not a criminal. not that I know of anyway. :) note the records that start with "scanner" and "researchscan". those are foreign places, some in russia, that are providing really high tech security-based services. also, note the million records from facebook's proxy servers. that's a pretty laughable attempt at trying to figure out what people are thinking. pretty pathetic actually.

and then of course, there are visits from server.jon7.com . isn't that your stuff? according to the hyperlink it is NOT, but I seem to remember you being at Jon7.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
You attract attention the same way that a train wreck attracts attention... morbid curiosity.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
This comment really isn't just about PPE, it's about all the stuff you might market at pirate prices at a time like this. Not sure what law or how long it has been in effect in any Canadian province, but if you grossly inflate the price of masks, sanitary wipes, hand sanitizer, etc. you can be fined AND all of your product is confiscated. This has happened a few times here already. Reported yesterday that in B.C. 2 individuals were fined $500 and had all their masks confiscated, which AFAIK, are donated to medical personnel and/or paramedics. I recall that about a week ago, some guy had a garage full of sanitizing stuff confiscated. How cool is THAT!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom