Coronavirus - are we all doomed? (1 Viewer)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 21:29
All the reports I have seen suggest that this is a "naturally" formed mutation of the general family of corona viruses and probably came from bats. The viruses might not be truly alive but they can be traced. For instance, it looks like what REALLY hit New York City was the European version of the virus, probably from people who were in Europe on holiday or business and came back BEFORE the symptoms started manifesting in Italy.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 19:29
Yes the horseshoe bat was present in the lab, but not normally eaten or sold in the wet market. They do eat and sell other bats, but they are suspicious of the horseshoe.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 03:29
I'm not sure if you can watch this from outside the UK, but for many years the BBC's Horizon programme was a proper science-based not dumbed down documentary series.
I felt they lost their way (aimed too low down the intelligence scale for the target audience) a bit over the last few years but this show last night was back to being what they were good at.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Yesterday, 22:29
We were just informed today that we will observe the Italian precautionary measures until May 3rd. I don't think that is going to stand...these people are already getting braver and starting to venture out and congregate.

Easter is a BIG deal here and they are PISSED they have to stay inside.

Pissed is Ameri-speak for "very angry". Not drunk as it means in the Queen's English

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
There have been 2 deaths in my home town of 22K people that I know of. May be many more, who knows. What about where you live? Any local deaths you know of?

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
There have been 2 deaths in my home town of 22K people that I know of. May be many more, who knows. What about where you live? Any local deaths you know of?

10 confirmed deaths in our county of 400k, nobody I know personally.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
I originally posted this in the water-cooler thread but realised it's probably more useful in this thread...

Integromat have a service which correlates all of the virus data and you can then use that data in Google sheets, Excel anything really that Integromat can link up with.

See more here:-

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
One on my street but she also had Lupus, so I'm guessing it will go into the COVID-19 column

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
BBC's Horizon programme was a proper science-based not dumbed down documentary series.

Horizon is/was a top-notch program. however I have noticed a trend of sensationalism in many programs which should know better! Also they appear to put in Long sequences of "nothing", Spacey views, clouds, things which don't actually convey any useful information and just take up space in their already time Limited programme...

It reminded me of something Dr Jordan Peterson said, the reason that YouTube is so popular is that there is no limit on the amount of information someone can convey. Subjects can be discussed in depth, there is no network with an agenda, no necessity to fit within a time slot, no necessity for a "sound bite" with YouTube.

There are now some very good resources of vetted information, information vetted for it's accuracy. One resource provided by Dr Jordan Peterson and another one which does some excellent podcasts I visit both of these regularly..

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
"Quillette, the best a writer can get..."

Oh come on, I thought that was witty!!

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
I just saw on the news that in Cannes France, they are using drones to disinfect streets.

This story is just plain sensationalism border lining on fake news.

There's probably a grain of truth in it, in that they have probably got drones flying up and down the street, but it is preposterous to consider that this spraying could be done with drones.

Drones have a limited capacity for carrying weight. Spraying requires that you mix a chemical with water before you spray it.

If you wanted to do the job properly you would have guys with knapsack sprayers on their backs carrying 20 litres of spray, let's assume 20kg.

A drone would be hard pressed to carry anything like that sort of weight. If you wanted to up the game and spray larger areas quickly then you would employ agricultural spraying equipment mounted on tractors.

I just don't understand how sensible people can present such a story as something that is true in the real true nature of trueness when it is so obviously ill thought out and presented just for its sensational aspect.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Yesterday, 22:29
There is such a thing as heavy lift drones. If you research it, you will find that 20Kg is not out of reach. Griff Aviation makes one that lifts 500 lbs. No idea how long it can do that for. Nor did I see the video you saw, but I get what you're saying as I often am amazed at what some of my friends fall for and email to me as if it were true. Maybe just don't hang your hat on the drone weight lifting as the determining factor.

deletedT

Local time
If you wanted to do the job properly you would have guys with knapsack sprayers on their backs carrying 20 litres of spray, let's assume 20kg.
A drone would be hard pressed to carry anything like that sort of weight.
I don't know if that news is true or not. But using men, will put more lives in risk. If a drones can do the job, why not using them.
And just for your info:

Search for SKYF.
It's a Russian drone that can carry 180Kg for 8h.

SKYF02.jpg

GRIFF300 from Norway can carry 225kg for 45min
It's not out yet but is scheduled to be in the market by the end of this year for $250,000

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom