Coronavirus - are we all doomed? (1 Viewer)

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Today, 10:06
The flu is far more infectious and deadly every year. (Get your flu shots, people!)

That being said, the coronavirus is a very common virus that a multitude of strains that cause everything from the common cold to SARS. This new discovery is a NEW strain of the existing virus that we have not seen in humans before. This just means we have no immunity to it. In developed nations with good medical support, I don't see it becoming a rampant problem. Eventually, we'll start seeing more cases of people getting very sick, but as long as they seek medical attention, hopefully they will be fine and we'll start seeing some immunity grow.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:06
The common cold / flu will kill more this year in the USA then the Corona virus.
Corona.jpg

Last edited:

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:06
I am a little concerned because the Coronavirus has hit Crowborough, the town where I live!!

There was a guy who checked himself into Brighton hospital with the disease. But he works for a company called Servomex that is based in Crowborough. See the link below. As I type this, I am noticing a number of people in the cafe coughing. This could be the start of a pandemic and I'm at the epicentre! 😩

But officials have repeatedly refused to give away any more details about the man, who is thought to be in his 40s or 50s, and they have also not released details of which flight he arrived on.
Doesn't that sound a bit like China? What about some transparency from the British authorities? Does he frequent the local Costa coffee shop in Crowborough when he goes to work? Should I order my medium cappuccino extra hot whole milk + pain au raisin while wearing a bio-warfare suit?

Last edited:

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Just read this: https://crowboroughlife.com/coronovirus-servomex-crowborough/

TLDR: "Around 90 Servomex employees were at the conference in Singapore."

Eek! I hope none of them are back at their headquarters in Crowborough. There was a man in my local grocery store today who sneezed and I instantly wondered if he was a super-carrier!

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:06
I noticed a back-page item in our newspaper that North Korea has been essentially silent on this issue. Speculation, however, runs rampant regarding the chance that they have it and don't want the world to know it.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I would have thought they were isolated and so protected from the contagion. Unless they have a lot of their Chinese neighbours popping over for a holiday in a stark hotel.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Makes me angry...a flight from Wuhan that rescued a planeload of Brits had landed, and coached them to an isolated area for quarantining for 14 days. But one of them tried to escape. The idiot! Putting everybody else at risk. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ronavirus-imminent-threat-British-public.html

Also, the coach driver who ferried them to the quarantine zone had no protective gear on at all. Not even a face mask! They told him to stay at home for 14 days. Why is it that this planeload of Brits from Wuhan get isolated, yet the coach driver gets told to just stay at home with a cup of tea. Very lax if you ask me. I would put him in a concrete bunker for a month!

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
So...I was scheduled to travel back to the US in early March. However, there has been a report of 2 cases of the virus in lower Italy this week. Almost ALL countries that border the Med, including Morocco (my connection) will quarantine any travelers from Italy.

And the hits just keep on coming...

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I've heard that Italy has 400+ cases now.

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
We have a family in quarantine that were in China .
There is also a report of a Ca. Man having caught it in the wild. He did not travel anywhere.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Supposedly we are 2nd only to China
This lists the number all over the world, and is constantly updated.
Coronavirus Stats
Iran is beating you for deaths and as they are about 2% of cases I suspect there number of cases is fictitious, should be more like 10,000 if they have had 252 fatalities.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Ok, I am going to make a prediction (based on flimsy data). And this is very frightening indeed. By my estimates, we could have quarter of a million deaths in England in 3 months time from the coronavirus. That is half of the death toll of World War 2! By contrast, the average death count per year for flu in England is 17K. So, coronavirus is 20 times more deadly. I am assuming a 1% death rate of those infected.

Today, we had 12 more cases reported of coronavirus in England, taking the count to 51. My guesstimates is a doubling of the number of cases every 4 days. That means in a month, there could be 3,000 cases per day in England, a month after that half a million per day per day. One month later, 50M per day! The projections are alarming.

My growth-rate projections are based on looking at some of the stats, but they are nowhere near concrete. But I have this piece of advice for everybody:

Stockpile now!

Last edited:

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Let me add, if anyone thinks I am being alarmist, check out this graph from Italy:

The number of cases over there are doubling every 2 to 3 days, so I am being more conservative in my guesstimates than what is happening over there. So get ahead of the curve. When people catch on, there will be panic buying. Instead, panic now while stocks last!

Last edited:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
While I do not dispute the chart of deaths, my question is whether corona virus is being underreported. When someone gets a really mild cold or a really mild flu, it COULD be corona but not reported as such - because they won't bother to have it tested and confirmed. So the death rate as a percentage might be lower because the divisor (representing total cases) might be low.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
That is a very good point doc, and I agree. Many people will pass it off as just a normal bug. Would that affect my projections in any way?

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
Feel free to include me in your will. ☠

• Haha
Reactions: Jon

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Jon, if the cases are under-reported, the "average deaths per case" means the divisor is smaller than it needs to be. Which means that the average is LARGER than it should be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom